TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Asthma - June 30th 2012, 10:16 PM

So, I've been seeing the asthma nurse at my doctors and Ive been put on an inhaler, but I've been wheezing really badly to the point where I sdit coughing and not being able to breathe properly for a good hour or so. It gets really bad and one night, my mum nearly had to ring for an ambulance.

I am seeing the nurse again on Tuesday but I don't understand why the inhaler doesn't help me enough when it gets really bad. Do any of you struggle with asthma and have any idea if there is anything else I can do to help myself?

Thanks.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Asthma - July 1st 2012, 06:08 PM

Medication can affect people in different ways. Was your asthma this bad before you started using it, or did it get worse after?. It could be interacting with something else you're taking. It also depends how much you take, you might need a higher dose, a different medication, or a controller medicine in addition to the inhaler which is most likely a relief medication. I was diagnosed last year with exercise-induced asthma after having a few episodes after a fitness class that scared me so bad I had to do something. It also gets bad when it's reaIly hot and/or humid. I suspect I've had it since childhood and it went undiagnosed for 23 years (which would explain a lot of my gym class humiliation.) I wasn't out of shape, being lazy, or not trying hard enough, I was having activity induced asthma attacks and we didn't know!

Anyway, try to figure out what some of your triggers are and if possible avoid them, it also tends to be worse at night for some people.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Asthma - July 1st 2012, 07:03 PM

I agree with what Kate* is saying. Medication can be different for everyone and they are going to have different effects on everyone and it's not going to be the same for everyone. I don't have asthma, but I know people who have asthma. Plus, as Kate* said, it could be reacting with your other medication that you are taking.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Asthma - July 1st 2012, 09:22 PM

I have asthma & I also have an inhaler, but mine helps me breathe regularly along with trying to calm down as well (like deep breaths). If the inhaler prescription you have isn't helping you, then you should speak to your doctor about a different prescription possibly.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Asthma - July 2nd 2012, 12:49 AM

I have an inhaler, but it won't help once I have an attack. It's only supposed to help if I realize I'm going to be doing some heavy exercises. So it is only preventive.

However, I'm not classified as being at risk for severe attacks, so my doctor didn't give me anything to take while HAVING an attack. May want to ask your doctor about that.

One thing I found that helps me, is to get a back rub. Not to say this is the cure-all for everyone. But a lot of mine are brought on by anxiety, which leads into an asthma attack. Backrub = relaxing = breathing normally again :P

Another thing is to sit straight up with your arms above your head. Brown paper bags do help a bit too. And one thing I've been told often is to not let the attack scare you, but let it come and go. The less tense you make yourself, the quicker it will leave.

Keep in mind, my advice is of my own experiences and only a doctor can truly help you. PM if you have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Asthma - July 3rd 2012, 05:11 PM

My asthma nurse put me on a Turbohalor aswell. Thanks for the advice guys

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread