TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Vaughndy7 Offline
Voglio solo essere bella...
Average Joe

Name: Toni

Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 9th 2012, 05:14 AM

For about 4 or 5 months now I have really been having trouble sleeping. Even longer than that, but these last months have been worse. During school I would usually finally fall asleep around one or two, which gave me about four hours of sleep. Now that it is summer I haven't been going to sleep until 7 in the morning and then I try to wake up at ten, so that is only three hours. I can't function like this and it is getting REALLY frustrating. A few days ago my mom got me some alteril sleep tablets and the first night they really helped and after 10 minutes of taking them I was out, but every night after they have not helped at all. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there other things you guys have tried that have helped? Any advice would be nice.

Thanks,
Toni

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."
"People cry, not because they are weak. It's because they have been strong for too long."
"Everthing will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandy McCarter Offline
ablm
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brandy McCarter

Re: Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 9th 2012, 06:33 AM

i have trouble sleeping as well,i tried melatonin and it helped for about a month then just stopped working. my aunt, who has bad sleeping habits as well, told me to try lunesta (not sure of the spelling, sorry) its non narcotic, and not addictive, and she said it works really well, maybe you could try that?

twinkle um...is a good word
  Send a message via Skype™ to Brandy McCarter 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Vaughndy7 Offline
Voglio solo essere bella...
Average Joe

Name: Toni

Re: Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 9th 2012, 06:45 AM

At this point I would be willing to try about anything just to sleep, the problem would be the parents... My mom wasn't even happy about getting me these Alterils even though it is all natural stuff inside, but she saw it was necessary because I could not get through the day with so little sleep anymore. I will keep the Lunesta in mind but I think that it may require a prescription. (another plus to the stuff I got, it was OTC, even though it didn't work )

If this not sleeping thing continues I may make a trip to the doctor and see what he says to take.

Thanks for the help and I hope that you start sleeping well too!

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."
"People cry, not because they are weak. It's because they have been strong for too long."
"Everthing will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 9th 2012, 08:47 AM

About an hour before bed is when you should take melatonin or any sleep medication. A good idea is to also read an hour before bed; having a laptop or a tv screen in front of you will make it harder to go to sleep. The reason is because when it gets dark it tells your brain to start making natural melatonin which is what puts you to sleep. If you have screens blaring light at you, it can delay this process.
I find that drinking a nice cup of tea can help as well, its soothing and calming and just overall makes me sleepy.
You could also try listening to some really relaxing music.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 11th 2012, 04:23 PM

Here's how you can get a better sleep:
-Eat healthy food, and don't eat after 6pm, especially higher protein foods. Eating food too late will activate the sympathetic nervous system, which will keep you awake.
-Exercise. Make sure it's well before bed, and make sure you include some cardio. Exercise naturally increases feel-good hormones that encourage a good sleep.
-Use the computer less frequently, especially before bed. The stimulation from the computer screen keeps you awake. Turn off your computer an hour before bed, at the latest.
-Keep a journal. If you're concerned about something before bed, write it in your journal, and then try to forget about it for the night.
-Avoid Caffeine. Chocolate, cola, tea and coffee won't be beneficial to you, if you're trying to sleep. Herbal teas like chamomile tea are fine.
-Go to bed at the same time every night. It's very important that you are consistent.
-Only use your bed for sleeping. Don't use it for other activities, like the computer, or homework. The only exception is sex.
-Reduce your stress levels. Stress keeps the sympathetic nervous system active. You want parasympathetic firing, not sympathetic.
-Try cold or contrast hydrotherapy. If you want any more information about the hydrotherapy, then send me a VM.

A lot of people encourage melatonin, or other sleep-aids, but they don't actually address the factors that are causing you to have insomnia in the first place. Don't get me wrong! Melatonin is great, if it's used at the right times, but it will be much more beneficial to get your body into a natural rhythm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 11th 2012, 08:43 PM

I've been on countless over the counter non prescribed sleeping pills, they work for a-bit then stop as your body gets used to them, I change brands frequently and they don't always work, I find sometimes having a warm milky drink before bed and reading and having a warm bath. I drink herbal tea with Valerian , hops and lavender in it. Maybe you could try some herbal night time tea ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
candr8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 15th 2012, 01:43 PM

hey there,
i have been sitting on about 2-3 hours of sleep every night and with school work and other added stress in my life is there anyone who can help me
Caitlyn

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Brandy McCarter Offline
ablm
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brandy McCarter

Re: Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 20th 2012, 05:27 AM

you could also try Unisom, another non narcotic not addictive medicine

twinkle um...is a good word
  Send a message via Skype™ to Brandy McCarter 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Can't sleep and it's getting frustrating... - July 22nd 2012, 07:36 AM

My doc gave me lunesta, when I was averaging 3-4 hours of sleep a night. It didn't help me fall asleep faster but I didn't wake up through out the night. It has a weird side affect, when you wake up you have a bad taste in your mouth, but totally worth it.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

Closed Thread