TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Soft and loveable! :3
Average Joe

Name: Ian

Question Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 11th 2012, 09:56 PM

I've been working out for almost 3 weeks now, and I haven't been seeing (or even feeling) any kind of results. I know I'm gonna lose a couple of pounds in marching band, but I'll still never lose enough. So a friend of mine saw my progress which I record on Facebook and he suggested some stuff for me to try out. One of these things is whey protein, which he swears can only make you healthier. I know him very well, and I've never known him to use any steroids or anything he shouldn't, and he's one of the fittest guys in school. I know he's trying to help me, and that I'm not just some project to him, but he sees a LOT of potential in me (he thinks I may be able to bench 315 if I put the work in) and he wants to help me slim down and tone up, which is fine by me because I chose to do this by myself. Also, another thing he recommended was creatine. What's that?

1.)My first and middle initials spell "it".
2.)My first and last initials spell "is".
3.)My first, middle, and last initials all spell "its".
4.)Say my first name, then my middle initial. Ian-T sounds like TNT.
BOOM!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Teddy Bear 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 12th 2012, 12:37 PM

I personally don't recommend whey protein, and I don't recommend creatine unless a person is an elite athlete. It's just not necessary unless you're doing really high impact workouts multiple times per week.

It's better to get protein from whole-food sources, and most people get too much protein to begin with. If you really want to add a cheap source of protein, add eggs a few times a week. It's a very digestible and bioavailable source of protein and other nutrients.

Edit: It takes longer than 3 weeks to see significant results. Just be patient.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 13th 2012, 01:39 AM

I have whey protein... You shouldn't take it all the time (I ONLY use it when making smoothies that involve milk or soy milk) and it's best when taken after doing a work out (or before even, I'm sure the result can't be THAT drastically different). However, you should keep in mind as the last poster said, you DO get protein from eggs, meat, peanut butter (though a good steak will do better than peanut butter), fish is especially good. You shouldn't get distracted in making supplements a huge deal, if you are eating healthy most of you dietary requirements will be met that way. The benefit for me of having a smoothie with protein powder is that I have 3 food groups there (dairy, fruit, protein), but I'm not sitting around being like "wow, I gotta take all these supplements to ever accomplish something, because that's not how it works, you don't REALLY need to be consuming a ridiculous amount of protein, you just need to be patient with results, you aren't going to explode with muscle after 3 weeks

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 13th 2012, 01:44 AM

Hey there; I honestly do recommend whey protein; there is alot of additional amino acids that can all together aid in both muscle strength and recovery. Combine your whey protein with a higher protein diet such as more eggs, nuts, and lean meats (I.E Chicken), drinking milk or mixing your protein with milk improves the taste and also is able to aid in muscle recovery (so you can work that muscle again) as well as stronger bones; a plus for body building.

Something that I don't recommend is the use of Creatine. Some people consider it "legalized steroids" because of how fast you can bulk up. But similar to what Michael has said you can't stop working out once you intake creatine or you'll see a sharp decrease in muscle size and nasty stretch marks once stopped.

Good Luck!

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 13th 2012, 08:42 AM

I use whey protein and a small assortment of other nutritional supplements:

1. Whey protein
2. Normal vitamins
3. "Super" vitamins
4. Glucosamine HCl

I only really take them when I feel I need them... and that's usually when I'm doing at least maybe 2 hours of workout a day. Glucosamine HCl helps with some joint problems I've had when running, and I take one every day. The rest, including whey protein... I "ration" it. It's expensive stuff lol.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 16th 2012, 09:01 PM

Whey Protein is fine. It's just there to supplement your diet and make sure that you get enough protein in your diet. However, if you can get the large majority of your protein from whole foods; all the better.

Also, creatine is not a steroid. It's fine. Take it if you want to bulk up.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SaveMe Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Natasha

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 20th 2012, 04:45 PM

Hey there! I myself take whey protein on a daily basis, if you're working out and lifting heavy weights, it's good to have to extra protein! It helps to repair your muscles, as you probably already know. So I personally see no problem with the whey protein. Now onto creatine, the main purpose of it is to help to storage of water in your muscles (which explains why you gain water weight when you take it,) It also helps which the absorbing of protein into your muscles from what I was told, it can be very beneficial for athletes who undergo hard training 6-7 days a week, or plan on competing. So pretty much with the creatine, it all depends on how hard you are training.

And she fights so you won't ignore her,
'cause thats her biggest fear.

Support
Love<3

Keep your head up gorgeous,
they'll kill to see you
fall..
  Send a message via AIM to SaveMe  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Soft and loveable! :3
Average Joe

Name: Ian

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 21st 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post
Also, creatine is not a steroid. It's fine. Take it if you want to bulk up.
Well, I also heard that if I start taking creatine, I'll have to keep working out and taking it or else I will lose my dream body... Fast.

1.)My first and middle initials spell "it".
2.)My first and last initials spell "is".
3.)My first, middle, and last initials all spell "its".
4.)Say my first name, then my middle initial. Ian-T sounds like TNT.
BOOM!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Teddy Bear 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Norman Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 27th 2012, 01:38 PM

Protein is more necessary for the muscles recovery and make the body stronger.
Take more protein based foods such as eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, green vegetables, and fish in your breakfast to develop your muscles.

Last edited by Norman; July 28th 2012 at 01:27 PM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - July 27th 2012, 01:53 PM

You're 16, forget creatine. Unless you're training intensely all week for extended periods of time or are simply trying to break through a plateau it's completely pointless, people get obsessed with pumping their body with a bunch of unneeded supplements when you honestly don't need much at all to see results early on. Even then creatine isn't ever needed, and I know several body builders (most, I'd say even) who don't use creatine at all.

Use whey protein if you can't get enough protein, but you don't need some crazy diet plan if you are eating properly. Aim for 1-1.5x your lean body mass (substract the % of bodyfat from your weight) in grams of protein per day and that's all you honestly need to keep track of until you're fairly far along. Train appropriately for whatever you want to do (low reps for size/strength, high reps to tone). Train intensely without overdoing anything, numbers don't mean shit if you have bad form, if it burns (not hurts), don't add on weight just to have nice figures, it's already working. Train regularly. That's it.

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
streward Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Whey Protein? Creatine? - August 9th 2012, 08:51 AM

Do this from manual way rather that to use of protein.It is better for you to get protein from eggs, meat, peanut butter (though a good steak will do better than peanut butter), fish is especially good. You shouldn't get distracted in making supplements a huge deal, if you are eating healthy most of you dietary requirements will be met that way.

Closed Thread