TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

My hubby and I need a healthier diet. - April 9th 2009, 08:41 PM

I'm eating foods that are good for me now because I'm pregnant, but Mathew's not eating so healthy, mostly because we don't have healthy meals in this house. The healthy food that I eat is what I make for myself in single portions. Even I probably don't eat as healthy as what I should, but compared to everyone else in this house, I'm doing pretty well.

Thing is, Mathew and I will be living here for at least another year or two. My grandparents are building an extra room on us and we need to save up some money before we can move out.

So, how can we eat healthier? I'm not the one that makes dinner. And I know that the dinners we have here aren't that healthy... I mean, they don't taste healthy or feel healthy. Not only that, but Mathew and I have a bad habit of stopping at fast food places or getting Chinese.

Matt pretty much lives off of PB&J, cereal, grilled cheese, cookies, pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. Basically just easy stuff. I want my family and I to be healthier, get exercise, and just feel good, you know?

With this baby on the way, it's really making me think about how we're living our life. I'll feel better probably whenever the room is finished and we have our own area in the house that isn't as stuffy as this one, but there's still only going to be one kitchen in the house.

I guess I kind of want to move out and make my own dinners for us, but that's really not an option right now.

What can I do?

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#2 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: My hubby and I need a healthier diet. - April 10th 2009, 05:21 AM

I know you're probably not going to want to hear this, but I'd talk to your ob-gyn about seeing a nutritionist. They can usually refer you with no problem, and they may be able to recommend some better ways to eat that will still provide you with the nutrients you'll need during your pregnancy.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: My hubby and I need a healthier diet. - April 10th 2009, 07:24 AM

Hey Chelsey,

I noticed your other thread about considering work. That might not be possible for you, right now. I'm not sure of the circumstances. But something you can do, that might help you feel as if you're contributing to the household more, is to cook sometimes for everyone. If you set up some kind of dinner schedule where you were cooking, sometimes, you could plan the meals yourself (and thus plan healthier meals) and also potentially make enough to eat leftovers, if the food isn't as healthy when someone else cooks.

Also, Kathy is right. Seeing your doctor and a nutritionist about healthy eating during pregnancy could be very helpful to you.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
J&M's Mommy Offline
Formerly SilasLove:)
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kala

Re: My hubby and I need a healthier diet. - April 10th 2009, 09:21 PM

Blah, I understand how you are feeling right now. I am the same way. I am at a place where I know I need to eat better because it is so important. Although, eating here lately has proved to be just a pukefest. Anyway, I suggest talking to your grandparents and everyone who lives with you. Ask them if when going grocery shopping you can have more of a say on what goes in to the house so that you can make sure you are getting the right nutrients. I would do research and make a nutrional grocery list and only get whats on that list. (except ice cream of course.) Or perhaps you can ask everyone to set aside a few cabinets and fridge space for you so that you can stock it with healthy foods for yourself (and perhaps Matthew).

I do not know if your insurance covers seeing a nutrionist, but if so then definitely take advantage of that!

Single Mommy since July 2011
Joseph, 4 and Madelyn, 3

my back-to-back babies are 1 year, 1 week and 1 day apart.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: My hubby and I need a healthier diet. - April 11th 2009, 11:55 PM

I was going to suggest exactly what Jessie said. If you volunteer to cook for everyone, then you will also learn valuable cooking skills that will be useful when you and Matthew live alone (you don't want to burn his supper every night!), not to mention you will be getting the entire family healthy. I tend to like healthy food, but I have to eat what my mother buys--which is junk. If you were to help with the grocery shopping, then you would have some input on the situation.

--A

Closed Thread