TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MikeH Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Working out - April 10th 2009, 05:27 PM

Hey, I'm new here, so I'm assuming this is where it belongs... sorry if it isn't.

Anyway, I was recently talking to my girlfriend, and basically she told me, if I were to get abs, or work out and get some muscle, she'd go nuts. Now mind you, I'm a fairly skinny guy, semi-athletic. I don't have far to go, at least from what I can see, but my question is, is their really any good ways I can excercise?

For the last few days I've been simply doing like 200 crunches, and various other increments of 25 on this bowflex thing we have up stairs. Lifting and all that- nothing to major. Obviously you can tell I don't work out very often lol.

Anyway, I read somewhere that repeadetly doing that, you could hurt yourself. Is this true? I mean, should I take breaks or whatever?

Sorry for all the questions, and thats for any response!

Mike

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Working out - April 10th 2009, 05:47 PM

Just make sure you don't over due it. If you feel faint shortness in breath stop and rest.!

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: Working out - April 10th 2009, 09:34 PM

"BetterHealth" has some good general advice on how to exercise safely:

Quote:
Take care
Stop exercisingimmediately and seek medical advice if you:
  • Feel discomfort or pain
  • Have chest pain or other pain that could indicate a heart attack, including pain in the neck and jaw, pain travelling down the arm or pain between the shoulder blades
  • Experience extreme breathlessness
  • Develop a rapid or irregular heartbeat during exercise.
Check out the link for more tips on how to take some precautions to keep from getting hurt during exercising.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Working out - April 11th 2009, 12:29 AM

Here are some good links to check out for exercising:

Top Ten Ways to Improve Your Exercise Workout:
http://walking.about.com/od/fitness/tp/10aceworkout.htm

16 Tips to Triple Your Workout Effectivness:
http://zenhabits.net/2007/06/16-tips...effectiveness/

Joining sports teams are a great way to get in shape as well. Plus the workouts are good for your age group and such. For me, when I am not in a sports season, I either do 3 hour walks, or about an hour of running. Lifting weights is also good as long as you follow the guidelines. Using about 75% of your maximum weight with 10-12 repetitions is a good place to start for weights. As for ab workouts, do as many as you want! But take breaks. Don't do anything that could hurt your body. Be sure to stretch a lot. If you want to gain more muscle, eat protein right after you work out.

Hope that helped
Feel free to message me anytime, I'd be happy to talk

(#5 (permalink)) Old
healer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jared

Re: Working out - April 11th 2009, 12:43 AM

Working out is good, but there are limits. Anything that sells you a quick fix is unhealthy. Muscle should take time to build up. Stretching a lot before and after working out will actually help build muschle mass quickly. By working out, you are literally tearing the muscle tissue to rip, and thus create more to repare it. Stretching will allow the acids to flow to the ripped tissue faster and allow for more tissue to rip at once. You should feel sore, but if anything actually hurts, then you need to take a break.

Forgiveness doesn't require love, but love requires forgiveness. Healing is a process, not a moment. If life is coming at you hard, why would you stand in the way? And yes, I do have to wear my ripped jeans.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
wtp Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Working out - April 11th 2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningangel View Post
"BetterHealth" has some good general advice on how to exercise safely:
[/list]Check out the link for more tips on how to take some precautions to keep from getting hurt during exercising.
What lool if you don't feel pain then you're not working out.

-
If you want to get ripped you have to do low reps and high weights.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
gaelic_runner Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Working out - April 11th 2009, 05:04 AM

for weights it is best to wait 36-48 hrs in between exercising the same muscle groups to alow the fibres to heal and grow, if you want to do resistance training everyday break up the exercises into two sets sucxh as front core(obliques, transverse, rectus abs) and arms one day and legs, glutes, and back core.(lats, intercostals,etc) the next and alternate. oh and if when you start a workout ans you are already sore or feel exhausted more then usual consider taking a rest or light cardio day . doing cardio at least 3-4 times a week for(20-60 min) will also help build complete fitness

(#8 (permalink)) Old
monstermanx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brendan

Re: Working out - April 11th 2009, 01:27 PM

Squats, dead lifts, skull crushers, mountain climbers, running, benching and that's' about it for me... IT's really paying off especially the squats, works nearly every muscle. PM me and I can hook you up with a routine/diet.

Do or do not, there is no try!" - Joey Kovar

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Working out - April 12th 2009, 05:31 AM

Amy hit the nail on the head. Get rest after workouts. One major thing is to make sure you stretch. You won't be able to work out as hard or as long if you don't stretch your muscles first. As well, if you're doing anything like bench press, don't go heavy right away. Start with the bar and work your way up, it helps to circulate blood and you'll be lifting more than you usually do. Make sure you use proper form, because eight reps with proper form are better than twelve reps with crap form. Last thing, protein before and after. Have fun!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous19 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Working out - April 12th 2009, 05:49 AM

All of the responses are great advice. Everyone has there own way of exercising and the key is to do something you can get some enjoyment out of, because that's the point of exercising, right? To enjoy it and not have it be a torture session !

Personally I'm not a big fan of weight lifting, because I don't like spending 2 hours in the weight room when I got an open living room and an imagination. A good workout routine I've been doing for the past year or so is a book called The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL fitness by Stew Smith, and it only has the upper body workouts 3-4 times a week so it gives you plenty of time to rest and grow stronger.

Whatever you decide to do just make sure you stretch plenty, warm up, and cool down and throw in a lot of water drinking and you should be okay.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kate

Re: Working out - April 12th 2009, 08:53 AM

think of it this way. You wouldn't be able to run a marathon straight away, it requires training. You may be able to fluke it a couple of times, but you wouldn't generally be able to. Same with the muscle... you can't do 200 sit ups first go (good going if you got there tho ) but in general, start off with maybe 50 then add say 5 a week, or whatever you feel comfortable with. Say 50 every day this week, then 55 each day next week. Go up as you feel fit. Mind the pun.

As for how to get your muscle, boring old sit ups and weights.

Goodluck!

Closed Thread