TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Any day now I'll be going to get a new doctor... What about the scars? ... (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t1079-any-day-now-ill-going-get-new-doctor-what-about-scars/)

TheBabyEater January 11th 2009 02:43 PM

Any day now I'll be going to get a new doctor... What about the scars? ...

At the beginning of this new school year, we moved. We've yet to get a new doctor but it should be any day now that we get a new one...
Well it's been a longass time since i've gone to a regular appointment, much less the first one where they do all that extra stuff.
I wear two wristbands on my left arm and a ducktape and paper braclet I made on the left to cover up the scars/burns.

Will the doctor/nurse need to take those off to take my pulse or something? I'm so scared cause my mom will probably be in the room too so... :(

fallen fairy January 11th 2009 02:50 PM

Re: Any day now I'll be going to get a new doctor... What about the scars? ...

i doubt the will blood pressure if much futher up thats above you're elbow and anyways you're 16 you can ask you're mum not to be in the room with you, because it's personal and such likes...

Jaymz404 January 11th 2009 02:55 PM

It depends entirley what tests they need to run.

I would presume if its a general check up they would do blood pressure and probably weight and height, maybe check your hip to waist ratio aswell.

In any case, blood pressure is measured by a Sphygmonometer usually. Which you probably will of seen before. It's a inflatable cuff that wraps round the top of your left arm and squeezes so its cut off blood flow and it will measure the systolic and diastolic rate of your heart.

Confused1isin January 11th 2009 03:00 PM

most doctors take your blood presure above the elbow, around your upper arm. I've never had my pulse taken when going in for a checkup. Also your 16, if your having a physical, you could ask your mom not to be in the room with you. And if you do have to take off your bracelets, I doubt the nurse or dr will say anything if there aren't any fresh cuts or burns, and if they say something, just tell them there old and you've stopped.

DeletedAccount63 January 11th 2009 03:02 PM

I dont think they will make you take those off. Because taking blood is up your arm aways. And for a regalure vist the make you takke your cloths off but not wrist bands or anything. Im sure your scars will be safe from the doctor

*Jen* January 11th 2009 03:14 PM

They can't force you to take them off so I wouldn't worry and I don't see why there would be any reason why you would need to. I hope everything goes ok for you.

TheBabyEater January 11th 2009 03:14 PM

Last time I checked doctors checked on the upper arm. But I know you CAN take pulse from the wrist. Ehh I get paranoid sometimes. ^.^
I dont know if I CAN tell my mom to wait outside unless she asks 'do you want me to come in' cause if I told her then she would get suspicious...

But thank you guys. I worry less about them taking off the wristbands now I suppose. XD

Jaymz404 January 11th 2009 03:19 PM

Of course you can take pulse from the wrist, also in your neck and other areas. But it is very unlikley. As I said it is likley to be just a Sphygmonometer. Doctors like them because they take less work however they are less acurate than if you take it with a Stethoscope.

However it is fairly hard, and if you ever see a Doctor taking blood pressure in real life with a Stethoscope. I can almost guarentee it will take him more than one attempt!

Either way both involve a inflatable cuff at the top half of your arm. I would not worry.

imaginarybird January 11th 2009 03:52 PM

I don't know what type of doctor you'll be seeing (pediatrician vs. general practice etc...) but in any case it has always been my experience that they have a bit of time where they won't have your parents in the room so you'll feel more comfortable being honest with them. Given that this will be a new doctor and I would assume you'll have to do a lot of background information and history, this will probably be before they even get to much of a physical exam. If you're really worried about your mom finding out, you might use that time to just tell the doctor "look, I did this, but I don't want them to know". As long as it is no longer a danger to you, the doctor will not be able to say anything, and will respect your wishes about not letting her see.

I hope it works out for you.

hopefaithlove January 11th 2009 03:56 PM

I really think that you should be honest with the doctor. They are there to help you and not judge you. There should be no questions from your mom if you do ask for her to sit out; it's your privacy.

TheBabyEater January 11th 2009 03:57 PM

Thanksss guys. I guess I shouldn't worry though... I'm not gonna tell the doctor cause the area I'm living in is crazy. At least what I'm used to lately it is. She would probably assume that I'm suicidal, and that I'm going to cut to deep some day. Which is true, and might be true. But still. ^.^ I'll deal with it then if I get to deep.
Thanks again guys.

I'm to weak to tell my mom... I cant do it.

hopefaithlove January 11th 2009 04:04 PM

Doctors know that cutting is not a form of committing suicide typically. She truly wouldn't think that. But good luck!

Jaymz404 January 11th 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopefaithlove (Post 10692)
Doctors know that cutting is not a form of committing suicide typically. She truly wouldn't think that. But good luck!

Depends where you cut. And how you cut, ie upwards rather than accross.

TheBabyEater January 11th 2009 05:13 PM

Well I usually cut across, and even on the upper part of the wrist. However there is a scar or two going down on the underside, intent to suicide. I obviously didn't because I was talked out of it but yeah...

losing touch. January 11th 2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymz404 (Post 10463)
It depends entirley what tests they need to run.

I would presume if its a general check up they would do blood pressure and probably weight and height, maybe check your hip to waist ratio aswell.

In any case, blood pressure is measured by a Sphygmonometer usually. Which you probably will of seen before. It's a inflatable cuff that wraps round the top of your left arm and squeezes so its cut off blood flow and it will measure the systolic and diastolic rate of your heart.

i thought they could take blood pressure from either arm, doesn't have to be the left?

Jaymz404 January 11th 2009 07:18 PM

They can. They mostly do it on the left because most people are right handed and blood pressure can be higher in the dominant arm, not by much probably 10 mm Hg maximum really.

At the end of the day, it does not matter but the way I was taught was always to do it on the left arm first.

If your blood pressure is high (hypertension) you check both arms, so you would check the right and that would confirm if a patient had Hypertension.

losing touch. January 11th 2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymz404 (Post 11174)
They can. They mostly do it on the left because most people are right handed and blood pressure can be higher in the dominant arm, not by much probably 10 mm Hg maximum really.

At the end of the day, it does not matter but the way I was taught was always to do it on the left arm first.

If your blood pressure is high (hypertension) you check both arms, so you would check the right and that would confirm if a patient had Hypertension.

ohh ok i see. thanks.