TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_soul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

First filling??!!! - August 21st 2012, 02:07 PM

Okay, so I went to the dentist this morning and was told that I need a filling. I'm incredibly squeamish and have never had anything done to my teeth before. I am so terrified, I have literally been crying about ever since I found (I know that sounds pathetic).
Anyway, I kinda walked out as soon as my dentist mentioned it so I didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. So there's this dark grey dot on one of my teeth surrounded by lighter grey. any idea how bad it is?
And I absolutely draw the line at needles, so there will be no numbing. So what I want to know is what exactly is going to happen and what it's going to feel like (will it hurt?!) without numbing.
Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: First filling??!!! - August 21st 2012, 11:57 PM

In my opinion, there are some differences with the numbing and without the numbing. Without the numbing I felt like there was a lot of pressure being put on that tooth, so it caused a slight ache. So, I would rather be numbed, but it doesn't matter to me. You can always voice your fear for needles with your dentist and see if there are any other available options. My dentist rubs the numbing gel on first, leaves for about 10 minutes, then comes back and asks me if it's numb or not (if it isn't she'll leave me again & come back later & will ask me again), and then the injection which I barely feel at all (but I do close my eyes because I just can't imagine that needle going through my gums... plus it just looks a bit scary to me).

I suggest you talk to your dentist before they start to do the procedure, just so you can understand better and voice your concerns. I'm sure the dentist will do as much as possible to help ease your worries. (: A fear of needles is a common thing, so I'm sure they've had a previous situations like yours.

You can also read articles about getting fillings, I simply just typed in "what happens when you get a cavity filled", and this article seems to be pretty accurate: http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/fillings/#steps

I hope I helped some!
& Good luck at the dentist! I'm sure everything will end up being okay. (:

(#3 (permalink)) Old
sowhat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: First filling??!!! - August 22nd 2012, 10:44 PM

Oh you want the numbing needle. Without it, it will hurt a lot. With it it's not that bad and has to be done. If it gets worse you will be in for real pain.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: First filling??!!! - August 22nd 2012, 10:58 PM

Drilling the cavity out is painful, inserting the filling isn't. I've had several fillings and for the smaller ones, I requested no numbing of any kind, just drill and put the filling in. For larger cavities, it slowly became more painful. I ask if the drilling is nearly done and if so, again I don't request any numbing but if there's still a ways to go, then I request it. Every dentist though normally will give you the needle (contains a lidocaine solution) and sometimes the topical numbing gel.

If you want, you can be given "laughing gas", although most dentists want you to call in advance to tell them. You'll still be given the needle injection (unless you refuse) and if you feel any pain, you're sort of in a drunken state where you don't care and aren't bothered. Due to the combination of stress, the gas and any pain, some people feel nausea or even vomit, so your dentist generally tells you to not eat or drink anything several hours prior to the appointment.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: First filling??!!! - August 23rd 2012, 04:15 PM

I'm someone who hates needles, but I don't mind the numbing one too much. I feel a bit uncomfortable, but never a jab or pain. It just feels weird. By time I realize the needle is actually in there, I feel nothing because the medicine is already kicking in.

I suggest getting the numbing medicine, as it can be painful, but it depends on what all they have to do and how sensitive you are. Call the office and talk to them about your options. Each dentist will have different practices. Some will refuse to use laughing gas, some won't work on you without the numbing medication. It entirely depends on what they feel comfortable with.

So call the office and tell them you hate needles and what your options are. The receptionist should be able to answer all of your questions.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: First filling??!!! - August 23rd 2012, 06:11 PM

I've never really had dental work done, as I take care of my teeth well enough to avoid that problem (however, not well enough to be awesome :/ )--not trying to brag, fyi.

Needle wise, as phobic as you may be (and trust me, I understand...I'm a recovering needlephobe myself), I think you'd probably be better off with the needle. I highly doubt that the shot is more unpleasant than the work itself without the shot. Seriously. Take care

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

Closed Thread