TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Blood test :'( waaaa - September 4th 2012, 02:57 PM

I'm having a blood test testing for anaemia on Friday My GP thinks it may explain my heavy periods and excessive tiredness.

I hate needles Will it hurt more than a regular injection? Will I get a bruise? my sister said I may

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
EssenceOfElixir Offline
Rainbow Smoke!!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esme
Location: One of the 26,497 worlds in my head, geuss which one

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 4th 2012, 03:20 PM

Don't worry about having a blood test. I've had a couple and I've never got a bruise and it's no worse than a regular injection. They really don't take very long so my advice would be to just look away and try to keep your mind off of it.
Good luck with the test

Causing hate is easy, causing laughter is a skill
  Send a message via Skype™ to EssenceOfElixir 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 4th 2012, 03:21 PM

Have you had a blood test before?
The best thing is to try to relax as much as you can, the more tense you are, the more it's going to hurt as your veins will be harder to find. I'd advise not looking at the needle at all, I'm terrified of needles, and even though I've had over 100 blood tests before, I faint almost every time. One look at one drops my blood pressure dramatically. If you get a good nurse, it'll be over before you know it though
You may get a bruise, but that won't really hurt. Try to put a lot of pressure on it straight after, that should reduce bruising.

Good luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 4th 2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks <3 The nurse who's giving me the blood test has given me injections before, she normally calms me down.

I know it sounds stupid but I kind of hope I do have anaemia. At least that would be somewhat easy to deal with. I'm sick of being tired all the time.

I've had a blood test when I was a kid, I just can't remember what it was like

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 4th 2012, 05:01 PM

As others have said, it's pretty similar to getting an injection. Takes a tiny bit longer as they normally want 3 viles of blood, and you will hear a "POP!" noise when they remove and replace them. But most people are very good about not moving often, so you feel the initial prick, a bit of pressure, some more weird pressure while the blood is drawn, then they remove it.

It lasts maybe 1 minute at most, though some nurses can do it all very quickly as long as your blood is moving normally (sometimes I've been real cold, which slows the blood so it took a bit longer).

Also, hopefully they DO find out what is going on. Good luck!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 6th 2012, 06:14 AM

Hey.

I actually find blood tests more tolerable than regular needles (and believe me, I've had a lot of those). I think it's because the feeling is slightly different; there's the prick, and then in blood tests it's faintly like something being sucked out, while with injections it's something being pushed in, so I find blood tests to be less uncomfortable. That could just be me though.

It's possible that you'll get a bruise, but if you do it probably shouldn't be too big or painful. After the blood test, try to avoid strenuous exercise, picking up heavy objects, etc - that should reduce the chances of bruising.

If you're nervous about it, let the nurse know. I used to get very worked up over blood tests, but the people who took the blood were usually pretty nice and did their best to help keep me calm - it sounds like your nurse will probably do the same thing. As the others have said, try not to think about it; I often look at pictures on the wall, or a calendar, or anything else in the room (if you're squeamish, do not look at your arm ). It'll be over before you know it.

I hope you find out what's wrong, and that it's something easily fixed. It's not stupid to hope it's something like anaemia - at least that way you'll know what's wrong and what you can do about it, you know?

Good luck!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 7th 2012, 11:24 AM

I had it. I didn't hurt too much whilst I was having it done but it's stinging a bit now.

No bruise so far

Edit: Oh, I took the small plaster off and there is a little bruise

Last edited by Make Believe; September 7th 2012 at 11:47 AM.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 7th 2012, 12:03 PM

I have had blood tests every three days up to every three weeks and each time it's fine. Well, once I fainted which caused me to have a seizure. Another time I ended up in hospital again, another time I got a hematoma (bleed under the skin). But I have a blood clotting issue. You'll be fine. I promise you, just hold onto someone's hand and dig your nails in, helps

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 7th 2012, 01:32 PM

Wow, that's awful :|

Luckily I feel fine, I didn't even feel faint.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Blood test :'( waaaa - September 7th 2012, 02:05 PM

most bloodtests for me are nearly painless now. I have to have another on the 21st of this month thank God for not having them every three days now <3

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

Closed Thread