TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Am I pushing it? - September 25th 2012, 08:58 AM

My childcare course is a two year course - we spend Monday and Friday at sixth form and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at a childcare setting (placement). Overall, we have to get 800 hours over the two years - at least 200 hours at each placement.

My first placement (September to April) was a school, hours 8:30am to 3:20pm-4:00pm - depending what I was needed for. I had two weeks off in October to go to Florida in America with my family and then three weeks off in January/February time because I was hospitalised with glandular fever.

My second placement (April-June) was a creche placement, so it was four hours a day, but I spent one day (Tuesday) waiting around for two hours to do two more hours of the creche in the afternoon. I also did a few days during the holiday.

My third placement (July-August) was a holiday playscheme. I did some days in the holidays in February and June, but this was in main bulk. In total (including the days I did in the creche) I had about 5-6 days off and spent the rest of the days working - this doesn't include weekends. The hours at this placement varied from 4 hours a day to 7 hours.

My fourth placement (September - present) my hours are 9:00am to 3:30pm with half an hour break. I hope to finish this placement at the end of December, but I think I'll be able to finish it at the end of November if I get enough hours by then and all the work done.

I'm also working 5 days in the playscheme in October half term, at least 8 hours a day, as I didn't get 200 hours in the holiday.

And then, in January, I'm going back to my second placement (creche) for eight weeks as I didn't get enough hours there either.

That leads me to February, which I will either try to get a placement in an SEN school (for valuable experience) or take Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday off to balance my life a bit and get some coursework done - but I'll probably offer myself for work hours at my job during the time I have free.

Would doing all this in two years burn yourself out? My mum and boyfriend think I am - but I don't. My mum thinks that I should take the week before October hald term off - but I think that'd make the half term more difficult for me, so I'm considering taking the weeks in December off.

What do you think?

And sorry if it's a bit long!!

RosieJ

And she turns up the music, to drown out her life.

22/12/2014 was the last date I self-harmed. The longest I have gone so far is 1 year, 2 months and 5 days. This time, I hope I can give up! New record: 1 year 6 months! Yay!!
Previously:
Kibska

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Am I pushing it? - September 25th 2012, 10:01 AM

Hey, I work in a preschool and like you did a two year level 3 childcare course, but I didn't have to change work placements. Working with young children does generally tire you out as they can be and are very demanding especially as there is up to 26 of them in one room!! It's up to you what weeks you take off but I have always thought the christmas holidays always seem to be more special than any other holiday.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Am I pushing it? - September 25th 2012, 02:40 PM

Here is my thought on this. If you still have energy, aren't falling asleep at random places or times, still have a normal appetite, and are still able to have time to hang out with family or friends every now and then, as well as give yourself a little bit of time to relax, then you are fine.

Many people have more ambition and endurance than others. You might be one of them.

Closed Thread