TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Question Headaches and sleep? - September 29th 2012, 01:08 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey there you guys.

So, for the past 2-4 weeks my head has been hurting almost every single day. Not migraine pains, just a regular ol' headaches, but sometimes they get pretty bad. It's getting very annoying, worrisome, and is not a pleasant feeling.

Also, I've been having issues sleeping. I get on average 6 and a half hours of sleep a night. Not enough, I know. I'm constantly fatigued. However, lately I've been waking up more than usual during the night, cutting even more time out of my already brief sleep.

Also, if it means anything, I think I might have depression? I'm not sure, but I've been taking those online depression tests, because I've been unhappy/sad/depressed, and rarely happy for quite a while now, which is causing me to struggle and slip up in my self-harm.

Can anybody give me any advice or personal experience?
Thank you <3

P.S. I could go to my school nurse about this..but I won't go to my parents to go to my doctor unless I only tell them about the headaches. They don't know about the depression or cutting. Thanks again.

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Headaches and sleep? - September 29th 2012, 02:43 PM

The headaches could be caused by stress, which can cause depression. If you are self-harming and depressed, you need to speak with a doctor. It can become very dangerous and it is unhealthy. You can also go through the school counselor or nurse to see if they have any suggestions on how to get a counselor for free or cheap. My school had a service where a counselor would come in during my study hall and talk with me for free. Nothing I said would leave the room. She would tell my mom "She is making progress," or not, etc. But never ever tell her about my cutting. They are required not to, unless I am an immediate danger to myself or anyone else.

In the mean time, try a relaxing bath or shower. Epsom salt in the bath helps to relax muscles more. Take some tension headache tylenol if you want. Etc.

Getting into a routine at bedtime can be helpful to relieve stress as well, which can help you sleep better. Mine is something like get a glass of water, brush my teeth, say goodnight to the pets, get in bed and cuddle with my boyfriend, then lights out. I know some people will get hot cocoa or tea to drink an hour before bed, relax on the couch with a good movie or book, brush their teeth, and head to bed.

Whatever works for you. It helps your body get used to the routine so when you start it, your body recognizes it and starts to get ready by relaxing and preparing for sleep.

Hope this helped a little. Feel free to message me if you want to talk

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Headaches and sleep? - September 30th 2012, 04:41 AM

Is there a general area of the head that you feel the headaches most? Does it tend to be better or worse after waking up?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Headaches and sleep? - September 30th 2012, 03:49 PM

Well..they're usually either at the front of my head && behind eyes, or all over.
It depends. Sometimes I won't get a headache for hours after waking up, sometimes it's a brief 20 minutes before one begins. Today, I'm in luck. I haven't gotten one yet, and it's been 3 hours. They tend to be worse later in the day.
Thanks to the both of you!
~paula

"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Headaches and sleep? - September 30th 2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape♥ View Post
Well..they're usually either at the front of my head && behind eyes, or all over.
It depends. Sometimes I won't get a headache for hours after waking up, sometimes it's a brief 20 minutes before one begins. Today, I'm in luck. I haven't gotten one yet, and it's been 3 hours. They tend to be worse later in the day.
Thanks to the both of you!
~paula
This sounds like a tension headache. Maybe you have trigger points that are causing them. If so, it could be in your splenius capitis, splenius cervicis, sternocleidomastoid, and suboccipital muscles. If they tend to be worse later in the day, that is a perfect indication that it's related to trigger point referral patterns. What I'd recommend is getting massage therapy. If you tell them somebody told you it could be "trigger points" they should know exactly what you're talking about.

If you cannot afford massage therapy, do plenty of self-massage to those muscles, and stretches. Google is your friend when finding this information- especially when it comes to trigger points, and referral pain. If you look up all the information, it will suddenly click. Also, sometimes suboccipital and Sternocleidomastoid trigger points can contribute to poor sleep.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Headaches and sleep? - September 30th 2012, 09:56 PM

Thank you, so much Michael!
You are seriously amazing.
I will most definately look into this
~paula

Closed Thread