TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Nosebleeds - October 15th 2012, 07:40 PM

Hi

I'm a pretty sinusy person anyway...I have hayfever all summer and coughs and sneezes all winter.

I'm just over a particularly bad cough which I had to have antibiotics for. I'm a lot better but sometimes I still get the occassional bit of mucus coming up when I cough. (Sorry I know that's horrible )

Last night this was what I thought was happening and ended up bringing up some blood, which I then established was coming from a nosebleed.

It freaked me out, it probably wasnt a lot of blood but I rarely get nosebleeds. I did mention it to my GP once, who said it was just sinus related.

I've had no more issues today but it was just before I was going to bed last night, and then I was scared to go to sleep in case I choked or something.

What do I do if this happens again? Any advice, especially as regards sleeping?
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Nosebleeds - October 18th 2012, 07:10 AM

Hey there,

Nosebleeds are always a horrible thing and I get it sometimes too when I have a cold. At night they are even more scary, they're usually caused by dry air and your nose being too dry. Honestly you will probably wake up if your nose starts bleeding but if you are worried about it perhaps lie on your side. If you do start getting frequent nosebleeds at night perhaps talk to your doctor and they will be able to help you with it.

I hope this helps a bit

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Nosebleeds - October 18th 2012, 07:59 AM

Hey there,

I can not diagnose or give you 100% medical advice, if you want to make sure you're alright you must go to your Doctor.

However, I am sure you're fine and it was just a once in a while nose bleed. If you're worried about 'choking' in your sleep. Sleep in a 'fetal' position to make sure your airway stays clear if one was to occur in your sleep. If you get a nose bleed, Sit forward, Look straight ahead slightly down and hold paper towels to your nose until it stops.

EDIT: People use to say to tilt your head back, Do not do this, it will cause blood to run down the back of your throat and go into your stomach.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Nosebleeds - October 18th 2012, 08:00 AM

A nosebleed every once in a while is no biggie. Now, if you get to the point where you get 15+ in one month like I used to? THAT'S a problem.

If you get another nosebleed, just grab some tissues and use your fingers (on the hand not holding the tissues), and pinch the bridge of your nose. Just apply constant pressure for a while, and it should help the nosebleed stop.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Nosebleeds - October 19th 2012, 05:24 PM

Everything everyone else said here, and (some of my tips from my experience):

When you have a nosebleed, breathing in through the nose, helps to dry the blood out faster and stop the nose bleed. A dry nose is not really a good idea though. It causes your skin to crack more easily and cause more nosebleeds, so only breathe in through your nose when you have a nosebleed, and after it stops, perhaps douse it with water a little to give it some moisture. If you can get a specific moisture cream from a chemist or pharmacist for rubbing inside your nose, it would be the best.

And when you breathe in through your nose, I don't mean snort it, lol. I told someone to breathe in through their nose once and they started snorting like an idiot then chocked on the... just don't do it.

Also holding the top of your nose firmly on both sides, reduces blood flow to the nose and reduces blood pressure in the nose. Means it bleeds less and stops more easily. This doesn't work for everyone though. It works for me.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread