TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 24th 2012, 03:14 AM

I've had braces for two months and I don't brush my teeth really. I had only top ones for a while so I would just brush the bottom teeth. Now I have both, so I just don't brush. I hate the feeling of brushing my teeth, and I hate the taste of toothpaste. If I brush it's for like twenty seconds with hardly any toothpaste.

Flossing is impossible, so I just don't do that. I also hate mouthwash so I do't do that either. Before I got the bottom ones I'd say I brush my teeth like a minute and 40 seconds a week.

Will my teeth like rot from not brushing?

Last edited by vrgtfvgt4vg; October 24th 2012 at 04:07 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 24th 2012, 03:58 AM

Yes, you will. Braking brackets off your teeth isn't good either.

You need to start dealing with oral hygiene. If you refuse to brush, for some reason or another, try using a washcloth soaked in mouthwash. This is generally a system used for babies, as it's easier on their gums and tooth sensitivity than a brush.

Frankly, "hating" the taste of tooth past isn't a good enough reason for not brushing your teeth. It's gross. But, I would say this is some kind of strange phobia or mental health issue. Thereby, I would honestly look into therapy as this is a major issue that will effect your life.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 24th 2012, 08:23 AM

I also hate brushing my teeth.
I hate taking my psych meds too.

But you know what? You just need to take a big cup full of harden up.

You get one set of teeth, they have to last you the rest of your life. So what if toothpaste tastes bad? It's only in your mouth for a couple of minutes (my dentist told me ideal brushing takes about 2 minutes), and then you can rinse it out.

Think about it. Holes in your teeth hurt. Getting fillings hurts. Having a root canal, or a tooth removed, is remarkably painful. Also, people with missing teeth, weirdly-coloured teeth, and bad breath, have a lot of trouble getting dates . . . and we all like spending time with people.

Weigh it up. 2 minutes of discomfort at either end of the day (and you'll get used to the taste of toothpaste, I did.), for teeth that will last you most of the rest of your life.

And if you're really having trouble with brushing your teeth, then for heavens' sake, next time you see your orthodontist ask for help! It may be that because your mouth is quite crowded at the moment, something like an electric toothbrush, which has a much smaller head than a regular toothbrush, could be helpful to you.

I understand that flossing would be quite difficult with braces, which is why mouthwash is a good thing. It kills the nasties between your teeth, where a toothbrush can't get to. There are mild mouthwashes available, and also alcohol-free mouthwashes. You don't really need to mouthwash every day if you're brushing daily, most people can get away with a couple of times a week.

Now, I'm no saint with oral hygeine, I'll be honest. But these days, I do make an effort, because I got lucky in the tooth-department, and I want to keep it that way. Last year I had my teeth scaled, cleaned and polished by a dentist, and because I'd been slack for a while, it was one of the most painful experiences I've had. I cried. A friend of mine also cried when she got hers done.

Save yourself pain and money. Take action now, while your teeth are still good. Ask for the help you need from the right people. Even ask your parents if maybe there could be a reward system for when you brush your teeth - say you brush your teeth every night for a week, you get taken out somewhere you want to go, or something like that. You'll know the things you want, bribe yourself.

And if you want to know the worst-case scenario . . . Google Images "rotten teeth".
Sometimes we have to do things we don't like doing because it's in our best interests. Part of maturing is accepting that, and doing that stuff anyway.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 24th 2012, 05:01 PM

This again? You've asked us before if not brushing your teeth is bad, we said yes. The answer is still yes.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 24th 2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post
This again? You've asked us before if not brushing your teeth is bad, we said yes. The answer is still yes.
I'm sorry. I forget things really easily. I don't remember like 90% of things I say.

I've had a cavity filled and a tooth removed and it didn't hurt. The tooth removed wasn't my fault. I fell face first on a solid concrete floor and bashed my mouth in. My tooth was damaged so bad it started rotting from the inside out. The cavity thing was my fault though.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 25th 2012, 01:24 AM

I kind of hope my teeth start rotting so they'll just give up with the braces. They are incessantly painful. There is random, terrible, aching pain weeks after an adjustment. I can't handle the pain. Advil does not help at all. I've just ripped the wire out like three times from the anger and frustration.

One tooth is so messed up, the side is pointed completely upwards and it's so far back the front of this tooth is where the back of the other teeth are. I bit down directly on the bracket, so the solution was glue on my back molars. These make you unable to chew or bite on anything and are excruciatingly painful to have so much pressure on the lower teeth and having the top teeth bite down on something so hard. Also having so much weight on the jaw. The lack of eating causes nausea and headaches.

The glue, and the sideways tooth and the bracket are tearing my tongue to the point the side is nearly split. It is painful to speak and I now can do it only when necessary. It is also painful to swallow even soft foods and I choke on drinks about 30% of the time.

The glue could be there for many months. Eventually there will be something else done to fix the overbite. I can't remember what, but it will probably be painful and will take about six months. That might not even fix it and surgery might be required.

I want my teeth to rot out of my head. I am unwilling to do this any longer and I would rather kill myself than deal with this anymore. The only advice people can give is, "but just think of how beautiful your teeth will be." Great, I'll be suicidal, underweight, miserable, and in excruciating pain for two years and end up with pretty teeth. How is that a good trade off? Is it this bad for everyone?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pianissimo Offline
Used to be Floriferous
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 25th 2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up In The Clouds View Post
I kind of hope my teeth start rotting so they'll just give up with the braces. They are incessantly painful. There is random, terrible, aching pain weeks after an adjustment. I can't handle the pain. Advil does not help at all. I've just ripped the wire out like three times from the anger and frustration.

One tooth is so messed up, the side is pointed completely upwards and it's so far back the front of this tooth is where the back of the other teeth are. I bit down directly on the bracket, so the solution was glue on my back molars. These make you unable to chew or bite on anything and are excruciatingly painful to have so much pressure on the lower teeth and having the top teeth bite down on something so hard. Also having so much weight on the jaw. The lack of eating causes nausea and headaches.

The glue, and the sideways tooth and the bracket are tearing my tongue to the point the side is nearly split. It is painful to speak and I now can do it only when necessary. It is also painful to swallow even soft foods and I choke on drinks about 30% of the time.

The glue could be there for many months. Eventually there will be something else done to fix the overbite. I can't remember what, but it will probably be painful and will take about six months. That might not even fix it and surgery might be required.

I want my teeth to rot out of my head. I am unwilling to do this any longer and I would rather kill myself than deal with this anymore. The only advice people can give is, "but just think of how beautiful your teeth will be." Great, I'll be suicidal, underweight, miserable, and in excruciating pain for two years and end up with pretty teeth. How is that a good trade off? Is it this bad for everyone?
When you say you would rather have your teeth rot than deal with braces, think of the cost. Braces are thousands of dollars (At least here in the US, I have no clue about other places). At least out of respect for who is paying for them you could try to brush them or use some sort of mouthwash.

I had braces for a couple of years. Yes, they sucked, but if you don't take proper care of your teeth while they're in and do what the orthodontist says they'll just be on for longer and I doubt you'd like that very much. If there's a problem with a brace you could always as your orthodontist for some wax to cover it up so that it isn't as painful. Also, my orthodontist was able to give me a special mouthwash that healed canker sores; maybe it could heal your tongue too?

Ultimately, what you do is your decision and we're only here to help give you suggestions as to what to do. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of things your orthodontist can do if you're willing to work with them.
  Send a message via AIM to Pianissimo Send a message via MSN to Pianissimo Send a message via Skype™ to Pianissimo 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 25th 2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriferous View Post

When you say you would rather have your teeth rot than deal with braces, think of the cost. Braces are thousands of dollars (At least here in the US, I have no clue about other places). At least out of respect for who is paying for them you could try to brush them or use some sort of mouthwash.

I had braces for a couple of years. Yes, they sucked, but if you don't take proper care of your teeth while they're in and do what the orthodontist says they'll just be on for longer and I doubt you'd like that very much. If there's a problem with a brace you could always as your orthodontist for some wax to cover it up so that it isn't as painful. Also, my orthodontist was able to give me a special mouthwash that healed canker sores; maybe it could heal your tongue too?

Ultimately, what you do is your decision and we're only here to help give you suggestions as to what to do. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of things your orthodontist can do if you're willing to work with them.
I can't handle doing this for years. It'll only get worse as they try to fix my teeth more. I will take them off myself if they make me keep them on longer. I'm supposed to get them off a few months shy of my 18th birthday, so if it takes longer I could just go ask they be taken off because I'd be an adult.

I rip stuff out of my mouth all the time. Maybe they'll realize I do not want to cooperate and just give up.

I have a heavy, silver handheld mirror and I have thought about taking that and bashing my teeth to kill them. I have tried and even a mild to light blow is agonizing.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 25th 2012, 11:48 AM

Hey there.
So, I have braces too, and if you just give it a while it gets better. If you don't brush your teeth, when your braces come off your teeth will be stained.
& bashing your teeth in is going to hurt. Duh.
Seriously just brush your teeth.
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 26th 2012, 02:01 AM

Not liking the taste of toothpaste is not an excuse. Especially since there are literally hundreds of flavors.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I have braces and I don't brush my teeth - October 26th 2012, 02:38 PM

OP, if your intentions are to let your teeth rot due to the braces, then tell your dentist and have them removed. I would much rather have crooked teeth than yellow or black (or no) teeth.

Also, OP, I think you should talk to a counselor or someone you trust, because wanting to harm yourself just due to braces is worrying. As I said, just get them removed.

Since the original question has been answered, I will close this.

Closed Thread