TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Dehydration - October 29th 2012, 01:39 AM

Over the past few weeks I've had a stomach infection and I caught a bug. I started to get better then turned really ill one night. Seriously ill. My mum rang NHS 11 and paramedics were called out and they took me into hospital. The doctor put me on a drip for fluids because he said I was rather de-hydrated. Being ill would have made it worse but I think I'm still pretty dehydrated. I mean not like I was. But my urine is very dark and I'm getting headaches each day - thats whats making me think I am.

I've been trying to drink more. Before I would go days without drinking but then I'd get real thirsty and drink loads. I know a few weeks ago i went four days on about two glasses water. But I honestly, don't get that thirsty that I literally forget to drink. Like, it doesn't even cross my mind.

Basically. I don't want to get so dehydrated that I end up back in hospital because it makes me so ill but I'm worried because I forget to drink. Any idea's on how I can remember to drink?

Thanks

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Dehydration - October 29th 2012, 01:58 AM

Connect drinking with other activities you have regularly, like taking meds, brushing teeth, arriving home from somewhere - so like, when you take your meds, have a full glass of water, instead of just enough to swallow with.

Have a drink before you leave the house and then again when you get home. If there are meals you eat regularly, have a glass of water with each of these. And on that note, we get a fair amount of fluid from food, so you do need to be eating regularly as well.

A few friends of mine took to carrying water bottles everywhere, and leaving one beside their bed over night. Aside from helping with dry mouth (one of those lovely side effects), sipping on water from a water bottle throughout the day is often easier than going and drinking a big glass of something.

Remember, it doesn't just have to be water. Tea, juice, and smoothies all add up to more fluids in your system. Coffee and fizzy drinks not so much, but any fluid is better than none.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Dehydration - October 29th 2012, 04:34 PM

You could do stuff like eat cereal with milk in the morning. Milk has high water content. Then have a soup for lunch. And have a large glass of water before going to bed, unless it makes you run to the toilet at 3am. Then have a not-so-big class of water before going to bed. Unless you have a really intense day, that amount of water should keep you going just about ok, although it's a good idea to drink a little too much water, than too little.

From personal experience, dehydration hits hardest when you're sleeping and wake up in the morning with your mouth dry.

Coffee and fizzy drinks also add water to your system, as does alcohol, but they simply aren't healthy. In fact coffee and alcohol can make you loose more water than you gain from drinking them. They make you go to the toilet more. Just generally, try not to be dependant on caffeinated drinks. Some sugars also have dehydrating effects, so it's a good idea to reduce the amount of those.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Dehydration - November 5th 2012, 10:19 AM

Keep a drink bottle with you at all times, including beside your bed. Just seeing it should be enough to prompt you to drink. You can also drink coffee and tea (the latest research shows that these drinks do not dehydrate you, as was once thought), but alcohol and fizzy drinks will have the opposite effect.

Really, though, I think you should go back to your doctor, and soon. Dark urine is a symptom that something is seriously wrong in the pipes, and when I had a suspected kidney infection, that was one thing they told me to look out for. You need to know sooner rather than later, especially if your efforts to drink more are not having a big enough impact, because this could potentially be a bigger internal problem. I don't want to scare you, but it is important to get these things checked.

Dear You,
You can make it through this. The clouds will not last forever.
From Me.

Closed Thread