TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anzel Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Anzel

What does heartburn feel like? - April 15th 2009, 04:21 PM

Ehh, I have never been able to make sense of the simmering feeling I feel at the bottom of my sternum, between my ribs. Ever since my diagnosis of a depression/anxiety disorder, I've attributed to being angst. But I dunno, I don't seem to find much of anyone who feels anxiety like that...

I know no one here's a professional, and I'll be asking my nurse practitioner before doing ANYTHING, but I gotta ask...what does heartburn feel like?

What I feel is almost like a constant simmering down there, below my sternum...it makes me feel a heat when I breathe in, makes me feel angry and like clenching my fingers together. It's really unpleasant. It's there right now, just sitting there, being annoying.

Just be bluntly honest with how it really feels...google doesn't help much. I don't think I have heartburn, but you never know. And I have over a month until my appointment, so I'm quite bored. x3;;

EDIT: I should also mention that I experience nausea very often...though normally I just attribute it to post-nasal drip. But it's hard to do that when I feel sick in my stomach as well, which is more than half the time.

Right now I feel something bubbling up and I'm getting the warm spit and everything. Bah. Whatever. Might just be PND, whatever.

:: ignorance is blissful torture ::

Last edited by Anzel; April 16th 2009 at 02:47 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sunshine☮ Offline
run til the sun burns out
Not a n00b

Name: Amber

Re: What does heartburn feel like? - April 17th 2009, 11:28 PM

Hey there! I have acid reflux disorger (ie. GERD) so I might be a bit of help, although people's symptoms might be different. Basically for me I get like a burning pain sensation that goes from the centre of my chest up my throat to my mouth. It's kind of hard to explain, but the best I can is that it's just a burning feeling... I also get hiccups and stuff sometimes that have a sort of acid-like taste.

Good luck and check it out with a doctor! x

formerly know as Dori

most of the shadows of this life are caused
by our standing in our own
sunshine

Send a message via MSN to Sunshine☮  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: What does heartburn feel like? - April 18th 2009, 04:30 PM

I have a hiatal hernia, which in turn leads to a lot of heartburn (acid reflux). For me, it tastes like there is a lemon in the back of my throat. There are a bunch of ways to reduce the acid (changing your diet). I will post a bunch of links below about heartburn that I have found helpful myself

Quote:
What Does Heartburn Feel Like?

Many people have different heartburn triggers, but most people have similar heartburn symptoms.
  • A burning feeling in the chest just behind the breastbone that occurs after eating and lasts a few minutes to several hours.
  • Chest pain, especially after bending over, lying down or eating.
  • Burning in the throat -- or hot, sour, acidic or salty-tasting fluid at the back of the throat.
  • Difficulty swallowing.
  • Feeling of food "sticking" in the middle of the chest or throat.
  • Heartburn may cause chronic cough, sore throat, or chronic hoarseness.
Reporting these symptoms is usually all that is needed for your doctor to make the diagnosis of heartburn. However, your doctor may perform special tests to determine the severity of your problem or to monitor your treatment. Special tests may also be needed if you have unusual symptoms such as weight loss or suffer from the complications of GERD.
http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/...tburn-symptoms

Quote:
Things that can make heartburn worse

• Cigarette smoking
  • Coffee (both regular and decaffeinated) and other drinks that contain caffeine
  • Alcohol
  • Carbonated drinks
  • Citrus fruits
  • Tomato products
  • Chocolate, mints or peppermints
  • Fatty foods or spicy foods (such as pizza, chili and curry)
  • Onions
  • Laying down too soon after eating
  • Being overweight or obese
  • Aspirin or ibuprofen (one brand name: Motrin)
  • Certain medicines (such as sedatives and some medicines for high blood pressure)
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...rders/087.html

Quote:
The primary symptom of heartburn is a burning pain in your chest, under your breastbone. This pain may worsen when you bend over, lie down or eat. It may also be more frequent or worse at night.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hea...CTION=symptoms

Quote:
Other symptoms of GERD can be:
Pain in the chest
This pain usually starts behind the breastbone (the sternum), and may travel up to the throat. It usually occurs shortly after eating, and can last from a few minutes to several hours. It is important to remember that sometimes the pain of a heart attack can be confused with the burning pain of GERD, and it is always important to seek medical attention if there is any doubt as to the origin of this chest pain.
Hoarseness in the morning
Irritation caused by refluxed stomach acid into the throat can lead to hoarseness.
Difficulty swallowing
Trouble with swallowing (dysphagia) occurs when food does not pass normally from the mouth through the esophagus to the stomach. There may be a sensation of food sticking in the throat, chest pressure or "burning" after eating, or a feeling of choking. Difficulty swallowing could be a sign of various conditions, including erosive esophagitis and esophageal cancer, and should always be evaluated by a physician.
May feel like food is stuck in the throat
There may be a sensation of food sticking in the throat, chest pressure or "burning" after eating, or a feeling of choking. Difficulty swallowing could be a sign of various conditions, including erosive esophagitis, and should always be evaluated by a physician.
Persistent dry cough
In some studies, GERD accounted for about 41% of cases of chronic cough in nonsmoking patients. If refluxed stomach acid is aspirated, it can cause coughing.
Bad breath
When acid from the stomach comes up into the throat and mouth an acrid smelling, bad breath.
http://heartburn.about.com/od/gerdac...d_symptoms.htm

Quote:
Heartburn is a symptom of another digestive disorder, and not a disorder by itself. For example, heartburn is the most common symptom of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Acid reflux is a medical condition, with heartburn as a possible symptom of that condition.
Many people have different heartburn triggers, but most people have similar heartburn symptoms.
A burning sensation in the chest
This burning sensation usually starts behind the breastbone (the sternum), and may travel up to the throat. It usually occurs shortly after eating, and can last from a few minutes to several hours.
A burning feeling in the throat
This is a sensation of burning, usually high up in the neck though it can occur lower. The pain may worsen with swallowing. This burning sensation can result from irritation when stomach contents that have refluxed up into the throat.
Sour or bitter taste in the mouth
This sour or bitter taste can occur when stomach contents reflux up into the esophagus and may reach the back of the throat. When the contents enter the back of the throat, a person will often have a sour or bitter taste in their mouth.
Difficulty swallowing
Trouble with swallowing (dysphagia) occurs when food does not pass normally from the mouth through the esophagus to the stomach. There may be a sensation of food sticking in the throat, chest pressure or "burning" after eating, or a feeling of choking. Difficulty swallowing could be a sign of various conditions, including erosive esophagitis and esophageal cancer, and should always be evaluated by a physician.
Chronic coughing
In some studies, GERD accounted for about 41% of cases of chronic cough in nonsmoking patients. If refluxed stomach acid is aspirated, it can cause coughing.
Wheezing or other asthma-like symptoms
Several studies suggest a significant link between GERD and asthma. The results of these studies show that up to 60% of people with asthma also have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), compared with 10% of the general population. GERD can affect asthma when refluxed acid from the stomach is aspirated into the airways and lungs, and can make breathing difficult and cause the patient to wheeze and cough.
http://heartburn.about.com/cs/heartb...n_symptoms.htm

Quote:
  • Pain and discomfort in the upper abdomen.
  • Fullness in the stomach.
  • Nausea after eating.
  • Acid laryngitis. A condition that includes hoarseness, dry cough, the sensation of having a lump in the throat, and the need to repeatedly clear the throat.
  • Trouble swallowing (dysphagia). In severe cases, patients may even choke or food may become trapped in the esophagus, causing severe chest pain. This may indicate a temporary spasm that narrows the tube, or it could also be an indication of serious esophageal damage or abnormalities.
  • Chronic sore throat.
  • Persistent hiccups.
http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-re...085_4-145.html

I would definitely talk to your doctor about how you are feeling.
Hope that helped
Message me anytime!
-Amy

Closed Thread