TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Ganglion Cyst Surgery? - December 2nd 2012, 04:05 AM

LeI had a ganglion cyst on my wrist removed on Wednesday,had to go back in on Fridadue to the swelling.They don't know what is causing the swelling so they removed the splint/soft cast and put a tensore bandage on.They also told me to put polysporin on gauze and tape it to the incision once a day.Today when I did that I noticed my hand is back down to normal but my knuckles and fingers are still just ad swollen.Should I go back or is there anything I can try first besides the usual ice and elevation?

You wonder why I never smile anymore,but with broken homes come broken smiles.

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

My heart is so numb,that I can't feel it breaking

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Cody Lawrence Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cody

Re: Ganglion Cyst Surgery? - December 2nd 2012, 04:52 AM

I would go back or maybe call your doctor to see if that is normal or not. I have a Ganglion Cyst and it comes and goes. It is in my wrist and it sucks! I can't bend my wrist because it hurts like crazy to. I'm still not sure if I want it removed or not.

"You don't need a reason to help people"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Ganglion Cyst Surgery? - December 2nd 2012, 05:11 AM

I got it done at a surgical clinic in the hospital and its not open till Monday.I wouldn't be so worried now exvept the nuse seemed concerned and the doctor just seemed in a rush to go home when I went back on Wednesday (wasn't even the same doctor who did the surgery).

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Ganglion Cyst Surgery? - December 2nd 2012, 05:22 AM

Besides the weird swelling,I'd say so far the surgery was worth it.Don't really have pain anymore,just my wrist is a bit sore.The ganglion I had wasn't causing unbareable pain but it hurt and made my fingers numb so I decided to get it removed,I chose surgery since the doctor said it would more than likely come back eventually if I went the route of draining it with a needle.And hey despite the swelling it's so far been quick regarding recovery,since yesterday I've been able to use my hand for lightweight tasks like tying my shoes and using it to aid in getting dressed and stuff like that.Remember everyone heals differently though

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Ganglion Cyst Surgery? - December 2nd 2012, 05:33 AM

Sounds like you may need to go get it checked out again. I had a ganglionectomy in my right ankle in September 2010 and healing time was 1 week bed rest, 2 weeks on crutches (so the incision wouldn't open), then 3 weeks in a walking boot, using crutches for support when necessary.
As far as your swelling is concerned, check on a couple of things: make sure your bandaging isn't too tight, check and make sure your incision isn't oozing, red, or warm to the touch as those are signs of infection, and also check that your stitches feel 'right' - sometimes they can loosen up before they're ready to come out or dissolve. If any of these situations occur, go to your doctor immediately.

Make sure you change the bandaging regularly - I had to change mine once every other day or so - This will prevent infection. Keep your hand elevated (above your heart) to hel keep swelling down as well as ice. You may even take a Tylenol to help reduce swelling. If those methods don't help, go to your doctor ASAP.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Ganglion Cyst Surgery? - December 2nd 2012, 06:43 AM

I've been doing all that but the tylenol,I'm on an anti-inflammatory/pain killer and I don't know if that would be alright to mix the two.I have no other signs of infection,the stitches feellike they should.

I'm thinking of waiting until Monday and going back to the surgical clinic,otherwise I'd have to go to urgent care and wait hours just to be seen never mind the tests and trearment.Since it's not infected or painful,in you oppinion,do you think it would be dangerous to wait till then?

Unfortunatly now I realize I wasn't fully informed on everything (wasn't even told I'd have to wea soft cast for two weeks),and he did it the same day as the first appointment unfortunatly I didn't have data on my phone so I couldn't research everything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Ganglion Cyst Surgery? - December 2nd 2012, 04:47 PM

I would get it checked out. Glad to hear its worth getting! I have one but they refuse to take care of it because it will cause risks for my pregnancy.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Ganglion Cyst Surgery? - December 4th 2012, 06:47 PM

The swelling is going down....one finger at a time lol.My index is almost back to normal size and in general the swelling is down.My hand is doing alot better now too,I'm even getting some flexibility back already.Thanks everyone for the advice

Closed Thread