TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Trainer is quitting... Uh oh - December 4th 2012, 09:38 PM

Ok, so my trainer at the gym is most likely quitting soon, he's given me a heads up as to why and it IS for a good reason, but one way or another he's quitting.

Now I still have a membership at my OLD gym cause that one is on campus. I still go there to swim which is why it doesn't matter and its pretty cheap/price is in my tuition any how. I mean, when you have 9000-10000 students to a campus it's possible to make a standard sized gym cheap right.

I am wondering if maybe I should quit at the gym I currently go to and just go back to my old gym. Part of the reason why I didn't like it much there was because it was filled with hardcore jocks and that was sort of intimidating for me, but there are a lot of advantages to going back there and thanks to my trainer I am in MUCH better shape and probably won't be as bothered by the campus gym any more and there will be the added advantage of it being like 5 feet away from my classes instead of it being half way across the city...

I just don't feel like I want to stay at the gym if my trainer isn't even going to be there. But at the same time, for example, at my campus gym you have to pay extra for classes and it's by the term so say I want to go to a yoga class I have to pay for the entire semester and commit to what ever time I signed up for as opposed to just getting to pay a few bucks to go to just one singular extra class. And there are never empty studios to use whereas my current gym DOES have that, which I like using because I like to just go stretch or do lunges or what ever without an audience....

I dunno, I'm just really conflicted, I feel like losing my trainer is totally killing my faith in my current gym and making me want to go to my old gym EVEN THOUGh there are perfectly real (albeit semi-picky) reasons as to why I stopped going there except to swim to begin with...

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Trainer is quitting... Uh oh - December 4th 2012, 11:57 PM

Jocks: ignore them, they should ignore you.
In my experience (although I've only used community gyms, not ones like on campus or the like) people who are at a gym are there to do their own thing and focus on their own fitness. I've found, even with really big guys, if you need to use a piece of equipment, then they're quite happy to share between sets - for example, you do your set, then while you rest, they do theirs. It's a really good way to make use of equipment that is in higher demand.

As for classes, instead of paying for them, how about putting up a notice somewhere seeking like-minded students, and you can get a group of you together to do your own free classes, either out-doors or in a random room somewhere. There are plenty of books and websites for things like yoga, and plenty of interested people who don't really want to pay to do a class. Also, facilitating something like that would increase your confidence when it comes to using the campus gym.

I understand your conflict and it makes perfect sense. I think what you really need to look at once your trainer leaves, is which gym is going to be more beneficial to you in the long term - which one will you be most able to attend regularly, and continue to get results from? How will you maintain your motivation when you don't have a trainer - will that be possible at both gyms? What about a work-out buddy who also uses the campus gym - you could encourage each other and use each of your strengths to benefit one another.

My gym doesn't have any movement rooms or anything like that, so when I stretch it's in the area where a lot of people do bodyweight exercises. And sure, sometimes people watch, even more so because to do my splits and stuff I take off my shoes. It used to really bother me, but I'm used to it now and just get on with doing my own thing. Perhaps for you also, it may just be a matter of learning to ignore it if people watch and continue with your own thing. Also, because I do have flat splits, I've found that when people are watching, it tends to be becauese they're somewhat impressed. The same is likely to happen for you.

I hope you are able to make the decision which most benefits you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Trainer is quitting... Uh oh - December 5th 2012, 04:01 AM

Well I found a place that largely has personal trainers and incidentally will be able to work on my sports training stuff with me if I have to quit at this gym. And I can get a temp thing (like a few training sessions where they'll make entire plans for me, but I don't have to commit to actually having a membership) and it sounds like the one trainer who's profile I checked out is practically perfect if I need to move on.

I just honestly don't want to go to the other trainers at this gym. It's not that I have a problem with them or anything, its just that I've been seeing this one trainer for over a year and I just feel like I'd some how be betraying him or something if I just went skipping after some other random trainer at the same gym, or like I some how just don't care who my trainer is when I actually do care. It is expensive to have a trainer, so I don't want to just go from trainer to trainer JUST for the sake of having a trainer, and he was the trainer I wanted at this gym. I guess I might feel like it is time for me to move on if he quits.

I am pretty sure he will be quitting. Which is NOT something I will be holding against him. Like I said, there are good reasons for him to do so. I think I am partially worried because I don't know HOW to quit either. You know when you try to quit a cell phone contract and they practically flip shit and may you pay a few hundred dollars? I don't think it's like THAT per se. But I am worried they'll make it super hard for me to quit in some other way. But I don't see what the point is with staying. I never (or rarely) go to classes there so it's not as if I am attached to any other instructors, and everything else there (weights, cardio, classes) I can get at my old gym AND I can get a new trainer that I WANT to train with or hell, depending where my trainer goes I'll follow, but I dunno... I feel like I would have moved on from this gym a LONG time ago if my trainer weren't so great, so I am pretty sure once he quits I'll be finding a way to bow out myself. I will go to my school gym till I find an alternative... But there is still a nagging feeling there I guess.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread