TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aesir645 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: PJ

Why can I not eat better? - December 7th 2012, 11:01 PM

I've been trying to lose weight for years. The exercising has never been a problem for me. Its always been eating. I have really low self esteem because of my weight. I have pockets of fat hanging off the back of my arms and have not shown my arms for years, usually wearing long sleeve shirts in public and where I live, it gets really hot in the summer so its difficult. As I'm a guy, I don't go around looking for compliments on my appearance. So whenever I do get a compliment, I can never tell whether or not I'm being messed with. All this throws me into the arms of comfort food. Its even harder with the fact that on my way to pick up my brother from school and get him home(my parents got me my own car for good grades) and them making sure I always have money on me just in case, I pass a lot of fast food places. Easy, inexpensive fast food places. The dollar menu at Micky D's is a siren calling my name. I don't everyday but enough to keep the effects of working out under folds of fat. We have healthy options at home but I can eating the same thing over and over again. And even when I do eat these healthy meals, I see no change in me. I'm a senior in high school, never been kissed, still a virgin(something seen as a pathetic in my status obsessed school) and this all stems from being unable to eat healthy consistently. Even the guilt of being unable to eat healthy causes me to eat even more junk. I really do not know what to do anymore

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Why can I not eat better? - December 7th 2012, 11:25 PM

Hey there,

My mum has taught me about nutrition and because I always restrict mum tells me it isn't good for me and explains why.

So, some of my experience may actually help you.

Okay, firstly, a balanced diet. You can eat junk, but don't let it over ride the amount o healthy food you eat, make sure it is balanced. Or, when you want a snack, eat an apple. Apples combine with fat molecules and burn them so you get energy as well.

Excercising: Too much doesn't help you. Usually stick with maybe fifty push ups, situps etc, 50 of each, people are ridiculous to push themselves to a hundred. I did and it didn't help at all because it made me feel hungry coz I'd burned my energy.

Temptations: When out, maybe take along a bar or a healthy item so you don't feel the temptation to eat or you can just eat that?

Hope this helps,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why can I not eat better? - December 8th 2012, 01:52 AM

Honestly, I can relate to a degree which you probably can't even comprehend. In grade 12 I wanted to just lose a small amount of weight on time for prom, I lost about [edit].
Once I started university I gained a fair bit of weight. I carry my weight well and the fact that I am curvy and athletic works to my advantage. I have wanted to lose weight for years, even when I'd "fallen off the wagon" and was slowly gaining weight I still wanted to make these changes.
Honestly, it took me until around July of this year to finally get to it. I started making positive changes such as stopping buying the bad foods--the chances of finding pop, cookies and chips in my apartment is low and I rarely buy myself stuff, only occasionally splurge (which is something I did long ago), and I only eat out occasionally (maybe once or twice a month, and the majority of the time I just go to to an Indian or vegetarian restaurant for that, I haven't had wings or anything like that since July).

I want to get back into soccer and running. I ask myself over and over WHY DIDN'T I START MAKING THESE CHANGES SOONER? It's not like I don't know how to eat healthy, it's not like I didn't want it. But I think if I am being honest with myself there was some small part of me that wasn't ready to commit to these changes yet. And even still, I refuse to be some insanely strict health freak. There comes a time when a girl has gotta be allowed to eat that damn chocolate bar haha. I actually started cooking this summer. Cooking is something I always knew how to do but I mostly only cooked easy and basic things. I insisted on learning how to cook new things--pastas with lots of vegetables, stews, chilli, tarts, what ever took my interest really. Initially I think I was slowed down by the fact that a lot of my favourite recipes were desserts which I'd consequently end up sharing with others to justify making. I started committing and accepting the changes I had to make in July. But it took until mid October or November to start tipping the scales, in the last month or month and a half I have finally lost a [edit] and even if I bounce up I got back down easily and my physical measurements are smaller than they were even a year ago And there is actually a lot of space for me to improve that would allow me to lose faster. New years goals right?
I can relate and I have a lot of tips for how to improve things (I have been seeing a personal trainer and have seen a nutritionist to help me set realistic goals so it's totally legit). If you PM me we can chat about it

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by *Jen*; December 9th 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Please don't post weight figures because these are against the Code of Conduct

Closed Thread