TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

How do I tell people about these problems? - April 16th 2009, 02:41 PM

I have a few problems that I don't know how to tell people about with out them thinking of me as a nerd or weird at that.

I have photo sensitive seizures which means every time I look at anything flashing such as cop cars, strobe lights or really anything that flashes, and even bright things such as the sun bother me. So the TV's no longer my friend there's so many things flashing on there. Well I've been having so many problems lately. I can't go to a neurologist because I don't have insurance but the real problem is, I can't go to movies or really go places because of the photo sensitivity.

My second problem is my dyscalcilia (sp), a.k.a. number dyslexia I can't read numbers bigger than 2 digits without having problems. So I can't input telephone numbers well at all. It just gets to me that I have to tell people to call me or text me first so I have their number.

I am highly allergic to red dye #40. I can't have many drinks or foods because when I do I get a horrible headache, I puke and have cheast pain, that's only if I have a little bit of it, I'm sure if I had a lot I'd go into anapaletic (sp) shock and that wouldn't be good.

Now my last problem I know it's a mental problem and should be in mental help but it's on my list. I am also bipolar so some days I'm a total weirdo and I don't want people around me at all.

As you may see all these problems together are confusing me and I don't know how to go about any of these with people. Any help would be nice.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Christinaa317o8 Offline
Christina
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Christina

Re: How do I tell people about these problems? - April 16th 2009, 03:23 PM

Hey.

There's absolutely no reason you should be ashamedof these problems. Obviously I'm not a doctor, but I really do think all of them can be fixed or at least improved. Maybe you could look into seeing your doctor who would then probably foward you to some type of therapist for these problems.

They seem minor to fix but they cause a great amount of problems for you.

Good luck!
  Send a message via AIM to Christinaa317o8  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: How do I tell people about these problems? - April 16th 2009, 03:27 PM

Hey Jennifer (:

With telling people about all these things, it doesn't have to be seriously intense... you don't have to walk around with a banner and screaming it at the top of your voice!
You could always just start off like, if a friend asks you to go see a movie or something you could be like "I'm really sorry I can't because I get photo sensitive seizures" if you explain it to them I'm sure people will be really understanding, and if they're not then they really aren't worth a moment more of your time.
Also you could always suggest that you do something else instead? That way they know you're not blowing them off (:

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

Closed Thread