TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dobbie_93 Offline
Be Your Wild Self
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Insomnia... - December 20th 2012, 11:19 PM

Im not too sure where this post belongs...

Anyway insomnia is becoming the Bain of my life! The earliest I've been tired this week alone is roughly 6.30am - not good when I have 9am starts at uni!

I've finished now for Christmas so have come home and I'm currently in my old bed, relaxing - I'm emptying my head so I fall asleep! But I've been here for an hour and a half. I need to be up at 7am so this is not the time to not be able to sleep..

Any natural ways to fall asleep? Any tips would be right helpful guys! Thanks

LOVE IS LOUDER
Than The Pressure To Be
Perfect...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Re: Insomnia... - December 21st 2012, 01:05 AM

Here are some tips that might help
try to go to bed and wake up at the same time
make sure bedroom is quiet and dark
don't use nicotine or caffeine before bed
only use your bed for sleeping ( not for watching tv or playing on laptop etc.)
don't exercise right before bed
don't eat right before bed

I hope this helps

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  Send a message via Skype™ to hopefuldreamer 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Insomnia... - December 22nd 2012, 05:57 AM

Try not to have any bright lights on when its getting close to when you're going to bed. So don't be on the computer or watching TV. These lights can mess with your circadian rhythm, meaning that your body will produce melatonin later than usual. Melatonin is the chemical which causes you to fall asleep. You can actually get supplements of melatonin that can help you to fall asleep faster, I use these and it's helped me loads.
Drinking a nice warm cup of tea before bed tends to help me as well, some brands have flavors specifically made for helping you to fall asleep. Listening to quiet, relaxing music can help as well.
My last piece of advice is when you're lying in bed trying to sleep, don't think about anything that's stressful or that you have to do the next day. Keep your head clear so that you don't keep yourself awake by thinking.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Insomnia... - December 22nd 2012, 10:50 AM

Hey there,

As a fellow sufferer of insomnia, I'll give you the things I do. Playing classical music (I listen mostly to Bach and Mozart).
Take magnesium and calcium supplements (or a glass of warm milk/tea will suffice).

Make sure there is nothing around to distract me, and then let my mind wander, creating scenes in my mind which I want to happen, or I think about a book I'm currently reading/writing and think about what could have happened if I was the character instead.

Hope these help,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Insomnia... - December 22nd 2012, 02:47 PM

Two idea's.

1) Do things to try and help yourself sleep. Here's a few things you can do.
  • Have a calm room at the right tempreture
  • Don't have it too light at night
  • Avoid caffeine in the evenings
  • Try to relax - take a bubb;e bath
  • Have a hot milky drink
  • Read but nothing thats going to make you over think
  • Listen to music but not ones with meaningful lyrics which could trigger a lot of emotions
  • Do meditation or some yoga
  • Have something like Lemon balm
  • Have a routine - Up at the same time and to bed at the same time each day. Of course weekends can give an hour
  • Don't go on your laptop late. The light acts as an artificial light making your braint thinks its daytime. Therefor why do you need to sleep.
  • Make it quiet

Or 2) don't try to sleep.

I've always been taught to do all I can to help me get to sleep but when I was in in-patient a few weeks ago, they encouraged me not to try to sleep. My sleeping pattern has been severe though. So instead I stayed up until god knows what time some night until my body was incredibly exhausted and I just fall to sleep without knowing it.

Experiment a little.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
mickeymouse0167 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaitlyn Howell

Re: Insomnia... - December 24th 2012, 07:15 AM

I have insomnia also, and a couple of days ago I saw a doctor about bcuz it was affecting my daily activities. There is a method I suggest you use but you really have to be keen on staying on track. NO NAPS BY THE WAY.
Here is the method:1) stay up all long as you need untill you are tried, at that exact time when you go to bed, remember it. Also remember to exact time you wake up. Do this for 3 days. Same time for bed and waking up.
2)Now that you finished the 3 days, push your bed time earlier by 15 minutes. Wake up at the same time as usual.
Try doing this for...a month? To see if it works. Remember, every three days, push the bedtime back 15 minutes!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
madalina Offline
Socially awkward member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Insomnia... - December 27th 2012, 11:25 AM

Chamomile tea, lavender scented items, your favorite mellow songs. That's what I can think of now.

Also, avoid getting excited right before bed time (examples: don't start working on new projects, studying for an important exam, watch a comedy or read a really good book), you might get hyperactive and unable to sleep, or you won't stop your brain from thinking about the earlier events. At least that's how I am.

I second everyone who has advised against going online or turning on the TV.

If all fails, just get up and do something productive, sleep will eventually come.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spaceman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Insomnia... - December 28th 2012, 12:25 AM

A really great and well known way to help sleeping problems is milk. A warm glass of milk can really help you fall asleep, I'm not sure why it works but I know from experience that it does.

Closed Thread