TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Henrietta123 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: None of you BEES

Tonsilitis..? - December 25th 2012, 07:40 PM

I have just turned 19 earlier this month...last month i caught a cold (nothing unusual) which developed into a chest infection but duren the chest infection i also got tonsillitis (don't i have luck lol) which eventually cleared after stopping antibiotics because my body hates it....now a month later i now have another cold and the start of tonsillitis....strange thing is...i never ever had it since last month....anyone else get this..?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Tonsilitis..? - December 25th 2012, 07:55 PM

I'm no doctor (not yet anyway ) but that seems to be the way tonsillitis works. It comes and goes.

I have tonsillitis a lot. Unfortunately I don't qualify to have them taken out because I don't have it confirmed by a doctor enough times in the space of a year (hurrah )

I would advise going to see your doctor about it, and if they give you antibiotics, always take the full course of them. That could be why it came back so quickly - not completing antibiotics is not advisable.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Tonsilitis..? - December 25th 2012, 08:35 PM

My younger brother used to get tonsillitis every month or so, regardless of whether he finished his antibiotics or not. Turned out his immune system was compromised/suppressed.

If you've been sick a lot or run down, you're much more susceptible to re-catching things like tonsillitis - some people will get it occasionally but have a decent immunity to it (like me, I've had it maybe three times in my life), others, once they get it, just can't seem to shake it properly. Usually, if a doctor confirms you've had it six times in six months (in New Zealand), you'll go on the waiting list for a tonsillectomy. The amount of infections in certain time periods will differ from country to country and state to state though.

In the mean time, your best option is to go back to the doctor and get another course of antibiotics. Look after yourself as best you can - make sure you're not constantly too warm or too cold, eat properly, and buttloads of vitamin C - it helps your immune system. Oranges, lemons, grapefruit, and fruit juices all have lots of vitamin C. Apparently chicken soup has stuff that's good for you too.

And some people don't catch stuff until later in life - there are some people who don't get chicken pox until they are adults. Everybody is different.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Henrietta123 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: None of you BEES

Re: Tonsilitis..? - December 26th 2012, 01:25 PM

I couldnt take the antibiotics because they made me puke everytime i took one

Closed Thread