TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
moggeletto Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Imogen

Question Healthy Food Help? - March 8th 2013, 10:15 PM

So I've been told that if I don't change my diet, then I'm going to die. I'm not skin and bone or anything (I'm a size X) I just have trouble with eating.

Yesterday, all I ate was a couple of hot cross buns and a kit kat. My school starts at 8:10 and my lunch is at 1:10 so I had to wait ages for lunch. I didn't eat anything when I got home from school cause we had to go food shopping that night.

So anyway, I was hungry but not hungry if that makes sense? I wanted something to eat but the idea of food kinda repulsed me. I ended up eating a cereal.

But I spent the whole of yesterday feeling really light-headed and dizzy. I'm also constantly tired and last night I was shaking a lot for seemingly no reason.

So does anyone know any foods that would help? Anything with protein and stuff?

Thanks

Things get better. Maybe not today, but it WILL get better

Last edited by Ngikhona; March 9th 2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: We do not allow size numbers on the site.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
rosesRblue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dani

Re: Healthy Food Help? - March 9th 2013, 05:52 AM

Hi there! I'm not sure if I can be of total assistance, but I hope that I can be.

First off, I just want to say that there are healthy ways to loose weight just by eating foods that are good for your body. So please don't feel like you need to restrict yourself or anything like that. I have never and will never advocate crash dieting as a means of losing weight. I myself don't eat meat, so I have to find alternative ways of getting the appropriate amount of protein and minerals in my body. A few things that I have found that have a lot of protein and are very healthy for your body is quinoa (it's kind of like rice), kale (a form of cabbage that is very high in beta carotene, vitamin k, vitamin c, and calcium), soybeans, spinach, etc. There are even athletes that mix Chia seeds (remember Chia Pets?) into their protein powders or smoothies because Chia seeds are not only very high in protein, but they also help with endurance.

If I were you, I would go on sites like the Dr. Oz website (where you can look up and print out a list of foods that he recommends for maintaining a healthy body and mind) and the Vegetarian Times website because websites like these, that don't hammer into you that you HAVE to lose a certain amount of weight by only eating a certain amount of calories, help you to focus on the bigger picture which is for you to be healthy and happy about your food choices as opposed to eating to achieve something.

Eating should be a time where you use wholesome foods to fuel your body and I believe that it should be an empowering experience. Not one that should feel like a chore. I would also encourage you to try looking for some recipes that you might be interested in and giving those a whirl. Sites like Allrecipes.com and Eatingwell.com are great places to get recipes and see what you like. When I first decided to stop eating meat, I had to cook a lot of my own food and at first it was a bit of a bummer, but after awhile I really started to enjoy cooking and saw it as a time to really explore what food could offer me. Don't be afraid to branch out and try new things. And, above all, make your mealtimes enjoyable for you. Good luck my dear. I'm here if you ever need any more help.

“No other acoustic instrument can match the piano's expressive range, and no electric instrument can match its mystery.”

Kenneth Miller quotes

(#3 (permalink)) Old
jhend.hardison Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Healthy Food Help? - March 11th 2013, 06:36 PM

Having a good diet plays an important role in our life. The food we eat is the reason why we can become healthy or not that's why we need to choose the right food to eat.

You may consider smoothies or juices, this is one way for me to "eat" a certain fruit or vegetable which I usually don't eat.

What are the foods that you usually eat?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Healthy Food Help? - March 12th 2013, 05:57 PM

It might not even be about how much you eat so much as the quality if what you eat. If the little you eat is always crap (hot cross buns, sugary cereals and chocolate) then you aren't even giving your body the benefit of having food with lots of nutritional value when you do eat. You should at least eat 3-5 times a day (ex. 3 meals, 2 snacks, 5 small meals, just 3 meals, depends how hungry you are/what time you have). And try to mix it up, like have a piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast, have some cucumber, 2 hard boiled eggs for lunch and so on.... Having lots of food won't fix your problem if you aren't eating healthy foods, so make sure when you do eat it's healthy (fruits, veggie, whole grain breads, meats/alternatives and dairy). That way if you still aren't eating enough at least you make what you eat count and you can try to build up the amount you consume at the same time.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread