TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Loopylisa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Excessive tiredness - April 11th 2013, 04:23 PM

Hi, I have twin boys aged 14 and one is absolutley fine but the other seems to be extra tired all the time.He is a bit of a recluse and doesn't like to go out much with friends.He always says he can't be bothered as he feels too tired.
I have taken him to the GP who says it is normal due to puberty and not to pressurise him.
He can be extremely moody, which I do expect at his age but it's the tiredness that causes me concern.We have a healthy diet with fruit and veg so not sure what else to do.
He does complain that his legs hurt too,like growing pains when they were little.
I have been considering giving him Berocca to see if that helps.Does anyone have any ideas please.
Thanks in advance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: Excessive tiredness - April 11th 2013, 04:53 PM

Hey there

Well, you might consider letting him talk to the GP by himself. Depression could always be a cause for fatigue and isolation.
However it also could just be puberty.
Good luck!

-Paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Excessive tiredness - April 11th 2013, 06:00 PM

it could be due to any number of things. If it continues, I would definitely take him back to the gp as it could be anaemia or depression. As the above poster said, it could be a good idea to let him see the gp on his own as he might be having symptoms that he doesn't want to share with you, such as feeling low. When I was his age I was always tired and felt down but wasn't diagnosed with depression until I was 18 because I was scared of what my mum would think if I told her I was depressed and didn't want the doctor telling her.
Do you have a good relationship with your son? talking about things might help if he is depressed.
On the other hand, it really could just be down to teenage hormones.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Excessive tiredness - April 14th 2013, 06:02 PM

As the others have said it could be caused by almost anything. The first thing I would want to do would be rule out a physical cause like hypothyroidism, medication side effects etc, before considering depression. I would also suggest letting him talk to the doctor by himself in case he's not telling you something, growing pains are common, I used to get them all the time, but pain could be from depression too.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Excessive tiredness - April 16th 2013, 04:28 AM

Isolation and tiredness is a sign of depression but it still could just be him going through puberty. Could you maybe ask him if he's been feeling sad lately? Or if you don't wanna come out and ask that, you could do other things with him like take him out, just the two of you and do something fun.

Hope he feels better soon.

Closed Thread