TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Question Sudden, unexplained binging? - May 7th 2013, 08:24 PM

I'm a runner. I have dreams of running some marathons once I'm in college, so this whole "binging" deal is really bugging me.

I've always made sure to get enough calories, so that isn't the problem, I don't think. I actually think it might be because of some hormonal imbalance.

Basically, about two months ago, my period wasn't as bad as it normally was. What I call my "pain day" (the day I cramp the most) simply didn't exist. This sounds great, right? Dead wrong, haha.

All of a sudden, I had a sudden and irresistible craving for foods I hadn't eaten in quite a while: Velveeta cheese, fatty meat, all that sort of unhealthy stuff.

I'm usually the type that's very health conscious: I takes in what food is needed to keep me going, and I run cross country daily. After that one perfect period, I'm abruptly unable to keep from going after sweets and fatty foods. I posted anonymously on a forum, and was rewarded with someone telling me: "If you can't stop eating sugar, how will you be healthy all your life? Quit being spoiled, and suck it up." Made me feel kind of bad, really.

This is very distressing, because I've also noticed a pronounced difference in my energy levels. I still force myself to go walking or for a light jog on days that I'm not running (thirty minutes a day keeps the ickies away! ), but I've gained roughly [Edited.] in two months.

There's no way I'm pregnant, just to rule that out.

Is there anyone who can maybe suggest some ways to maybe keep this under control, at least until I have the opportunity to visit my doctor? More exercise, less exercise, more eating, less eating, etc.?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; May 11th 2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Please don't post weight numbers on TeenHelp.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Sudden, unexplained binging? - May 9th 2013, 05:16 AM

The random binge eating just made me wonder if there could be a hormone imbalance, or maybe high insulin levels? Usually associated with diabetes, but not always. Just a thought, something to ask your doctor when you can get in!

In the meantime, I'd up your water intake.. I don't know exactly how much you're drinking, but if you're positive you're eating enough considering how much you exercise, then try to drink water whenever you have these cravings.. or limit yourself on the cravings, only allowing a certain amount that way you don't want to binge as badly later since you got a little bit of what you were craving in your system.

Also, getting 60-90+oz of water a day helps wash out any toxins in yours system and helps you lose the weight from the calories you've burned off, so that's always a plus.

You probably won't figure out what's causing this until you see your doctor, but until then just try and bear with it.. up the water, continue doing the exercise you're doing, because it's fantastic for you.. and try and limit the binging, despite how hard that may be.

I hope you figure everything out!!

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Sudden, unexplained binging? - May 10th 2013, 06:51 AM

I'm not really sure it's hormonal. I have these types of phases as well. I'd recommend buying some tasty healthier snack food, things that can replace these worser foods. Maybe some Pop Chips, some salsa and tortilla chips, etc. And that other forum girl is unrealistic. You're human, you're going to have cravings for foods that are unhealthy, and you're not a bad person for eating food that is bad for you. Obviously, you should avoid it. Velveta cheese is...barely food. But that doesn't mean that it isn't delicious.

I'd also take a look at your fat intake in particular. From the foods that you are describing, even if you are obtaining your caloric needs, maybe you need a higher fat intake than you are getting. Consider getting some healthy foods that are full of healthy fats: avocados, almonds and other nuts, low-fat (but not fat-free which is just filled with chemicals anyway) Greek yogurt, etc.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: Sudden, unexplained binging? - May 10th 2013, 05:59 PM

I do get enough water (two/three quarts a day), but really fatty foods tend to make me kind of sick, so I might not have been getting enough of them. I'll definitely talk to my doctor about the hormone/insulin thing; even if that isn't what it is, diabetes runs pretty heavy in my family, so I'll probably ask about it just to be on the safe side. Thanks, to both of you! I really love the considerate, good information that I get from this site. ^_^

1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Sudden, unexplained binging? - May 12th 2013, 09:24 PM

There is nothing wrong with sometimes eating something with sugar or having a treat that is not unhealthy. I am also a runner and want to do a half marathon and such. Unfortunately I had sustained a few serious injuries and then had some personal problems the last few years and I wasn't regularly running, but I've been training at it a lot the last 6 months or so.... My point is that even I eat "bad" food, I have had a lot of issues around food, some of those issues have crept up recently and it can be hard for me not to feel guilty if I eat something bad, but realistically if you sometimes have a fatty steak or a brownie or something it's not like it's a death sentence... So don't let that persons comment get to you if you can...

More to the point, I think personally think that cutting things out for 100% of the time can be really trying, like if you refuse to eat carbs (noodles, bread etc) or fattier meats (unless you just choose the lean cuts of beef, i'm not sure how far your taking that) and so on isn't really beneficial if you really enjoy those foods because I find it always seems to make those cravings worse for people when it's something they never allow themselves. There are ways to accommodate those cravings... Like you can get foods that are saltier (tortilla chips, rice cakes etc) and you can eat lean red meats too...

It is definitely possible you have something going on health wise especially given that your period has stopped. Its possible you're lacking some sort of nutrients in your body, especially something like iron (especially if your not eating red meat, like I said I am not sure how far you have taken the "no-fatty-meat" bit), I know that an iron deficiency can be a cause for your period stopping. So that's a possibility, especially if you are gaining weight because if you aren't overly skinny then I won't assume malnutrition is a problem, but you might want to make sure you are getting enough calories and nutrients (just assess the nutritional value of what you are eating). It's just one or two of the possibilities that have occurred to me, I am not a doctor so I can't be certain, but it's something to consider. You can PM me if you want to talk about it more

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: Sudden, unexplained binging? - May 12th 2013, 11:11 PM

I eat carbs a lot (gotta have 'em for energy, eh?), in the form of oats, bran flakes, plain shredded wheat, etc. I eat red meat on occasion, but it's mostly venison, which is pretty lean; I hardly ever eat beef or pork or even chicken. Would that be enough, or not?

My period hasn't stopped altogether, it's just completely changed. I don't bleed nearly so much, but I'm weaker and hungrier and dizzier. I've been tested for anemia before, but the results showed that I had perfectly healthy iron levels, and my weight -- even after I gained back a bit -- is in the mid-range for my height, 'cause I'm pretty tall. I take a daily supplement, as well as the over the counter iron supplement my doctor recommended me.

Now, whether or not I was getting enough calories, I'm not exactly certain. I'm 5'9", but all the calorie intake calculators I used seemed to always turn up ridiculous amounts, so I tapered it off to where I thought would be most healthy. But it may be that I really did need all that much. I'll make sure and ask my doctor tomorrow when I go.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Sudden, unexplained binging? - May 13th 2013, 04:05 AM

Well, it depends, if you are really active you might need to be eating a little more to compensate for the energy burned because unless you are trying to lose weight (which you aren't) you could theoretically be eating more... Like a person who sits in an office all day and then goes home and maybe gets groceries and does a little yard work before relaxing won't need to eat as much as someone who does some kind of labour job and goes home and then goes home and runs 10 miles (example scenarios), a general rule of thumb is to eat how much you are hungry for (without eating to excess obviously, but I mean like if you are hungry all the time then you should probs up your calorie intake), even some days you might be hungier than others like I am only 5'4" and I have a general range of how much I eat calorie wise (which has also been helping me lose weight) and most days I am good with that since I have an average metabolism and not a particularly large appetite but other days I'm like "SO HUNGRY FEED ME MORE!!" lol...

So there are a whole whack of things that could be accounting for the issues, but an iron deficiency could have emerged since your last visit, you could not be eating quite enough for your size, metabolism and activity level and what ever else comes up.

You could also have made changes in your diet that are causing your period to change, maybe your exercising more too. The fact you are dizzy doesn't really link up to some seemingly insiginificant change though, but who knows... Maybe you aren't drinking enough water??? Maybe you are diabetic or have a thyroid issue? Who knows honestly, but your doctor should know to do blood work, make sure he checks your glucose levels, B12, iron, thyroid and a few other things, I'm not sure what they are but I know those are a few of the important ones and the doc will know what else to check off (at least ask it is is something you should be doing, I understand that if you are American that maybe its hard to afford medical stuff even with insurance, personally I'd just go if I was having those issues but I live in Canada so it's not like I have to worry about the cost of most things that are medically necessary, not all of it is free but that's irrelevant to this post, appointments and things like bloodwork are covered in my experience)... There is a whole whack of things that stick out for me, iron obviously being the first... But your doc should know so good luck, let me know how it goes

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: Sudden, unexplained binging? - May 14th 2013, 02:15 AM

I will let you know, haha. But my mom and I had a bit of a miscommunication, and evidently my appointment's on Friday instead of today. I've got a whole bank of questions I'm going to ask my doctor, though, so I hope she's prepared for it. I don't think blood work costs extra (we have good insurance) but even if it did, if my doctor suspected something, my mom would let them run some blood tests or whatever. She's awesome like that.

Closed Thread