TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Working Out. - June 25th 2013, 03:28 PM

Hey,

So everytime I go to the gym the next day my muscles ache. I'm just wondering is it better to rest them while they ache or is it better to push through the ache and work out again to get them used to it?

Thanks in advance!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
justdatdude Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jack

Re: Working Out. - June 25th 2013, 07:09 PM

I heard it was better to push throug the aching; and let your muscles adjust to the change. Although, it'd be best research to see what's better to do, Rest or Push on.

N/A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Working Out. - June 26th 2013, 12:30 AM

Well, it depends what your doing. For example, I do not deem it necessary to be doing weights every day, I'd do that only 3-4 days a week (like every other day or something like that) OR alternate (ex. do upper body on Monday, lower body Tuesday). There are other methods, what the right thing to do is depends on the person, like it's not likely to harm you if your only doing 10-15 minutes of conditioning a day (like planks, crunches, etc) and that goes for things like yoga too. I DO think you can work out up to 6 days a week without it being a problem, I usually suggest giving your body days off when your tired (plan for 1 day a week either way), and 4-6 days is usually the recommended. But that doesn't include everything, like walking 7 days a week won't matter for a young person cause it's not that strenuous, know what I mean?

So my point is more that I do not think you need to take the day off but i'd mix in cardio (ex. do cardio 6 days and only do weights 4) or something, that way you can still enjoy a work out without stressing out your muscles in the same way, also, you could just try not working the muscles that are sore the day after

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Working Out. - June 26th 2013, 06:51 AM

No,

If your muscles ache you have to let them rest. The way muscle builds is when you work them you break them down (hence the ache) then they rebuild stronger. Why, yes you can "work" through the ache. It will not make them stronger and faster. It is better to break down your work out schedule into "days" where you work on certain muscle groups. When I work out I either do "Upper arms, Lower legs, Chest, back & Neck, and Cardio each day". Each muscle group gets a nice long workout, and enough time to rebuild and heal up before I rip my muscles a new "a-hole". That's why I pity the poor fools who go to the gym 5 days a week and all they do is Bench press.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: Working Out. - June 26th 2013, 03:06 PM

It really depends on what you're doing, you can have muscle aches for a whole week when you first start or when you don't have a high enough frequency, doesn't mean they are not healed however. A rule of thumb is usually 48 hours of rest to that particular muscle group, past that point if you're eating well your muscles will have healed just fine and you should be good to go even through the soreness if it's still present.

The delayed onset muscle soreness goes away the more frequently you use those muscles, and if you only do it once a week you will always be sore. I have been training five to six days a week for about 3 years now, and I never feel sore the next day anymore but my progress hasn't stopped whatsoever (dispelling this whole "soreness is needed for it to be a good workout" nonsense).

Like Corrie said, splits to target particular muscle groups on specific days is ideal to be able to workout more frequently without overtraining particular muscles. That, or you could do full body workouts about 3 times a week, again depending on what your goal is.

Now, with this particular topic everyone seems to like to play the expert and will regurgitate anything a friend says if they sound confident enough, so it's often better to just try things out and see for yourself what works, but the 48 hour rule is something any professional can attest to. Granted if you are purely doing low weight exercises and trying to lose weight and not actually build up muscle then the intensity would be low enough for that rest period to be even shorter due to very little muscle tissue breakdown.

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

Closed Thread