TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   OD'ing on over the counter medication (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t121089-oding-over-counter-medication/)

Despair. July 4th 2013 10:15 PM

OD'ing on over the counter medication

I have no idea what to even call this.. But I've been OD'ing on Benedryl to trip out . One day i'll take [Edited by Kitty.], the next day [Edited by Kitty.] , the next day [Edited by Kitty.], and so on.. I dont even know if I should call this drug abuse or what , but it's become very addictive . And to add on to that behaviour , I've been drinking A LOT of alchohol . Every night i'll chug any bottle I can find . Some nights I can control myself, but some night I can not.... I really dont know what to do :?

Philomath July 5th 2013 12:46 AM

Re: OD'ing on over the counter medication

Hi InDiA,

I really think you need to talk to a doctor about this and also talk to your parents. Overdosing on medication can cause a lot of problems and repeted overdosing can cause signifigant problems. Also, combining medication with alcohol is very dangerous as well.
You should find some alternative ways to cope, there is a long list of suggestions here. you can look at. The alternatives will not give you the same affect as the medication and alcol but they are safer and can be really fun.
I am not sure why you would like to trip out, but if there is a reason you are doing it (and you know that reason), the reason or reasons, should be discussed with a counselor or therapist that can help you work through the feelings and other possible reasons for doing this.
Hopefully this is helpful and you can PM me if you ever would like someone to talk to or need help.

Ghost On The Highway July 5th 2013 04:21 AM

Re: OD'ing on over the counter medication

Hey, I know you're going through some really tough times right now, but abusing drugs and alcohol really isn't going to help. Believe me, I've been there (borderline alcoholic that is) and it really screwed me up for several years. As for diphenhydramine / benadryl, that can have pretty bad adverse effects in overdose, such as memory loss, motor impairment, and cardiac problems. I used to take a bunch at night to beat insomnia, and I always felt like shit the next day. Do you see a doctor or psych? If so, he or she may be able to prescribe something like xanax for times when you feel out of control or anxious. Personally, I'd recommend an herbal tea, kava kava, etc.

If you're going to take over the counter drugs recreationally, it's really important to know what exactly you're getting yourself into. I've gotten high off OTC's in the past, and I had to make sure the drug didn't also contain acetaminophen (tylenol) for risk of internal organ damage, or antihistamines for other reasons. As an antihistamine, benadryl can be very dangerous recreationally, and honestly it isn't that fun of an experience anyhow. Hope this helps, feel free to PM or VM me.