TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Officer Down! I'm Injured :(. - July 10th 2013, 10:41 AM

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!! .

OK, so I have an injury, I am down hurting. I normally enjoy running and jogging on the treadmill but I haven't done it in so long! Because I have what I believe are shin splints. I have pains in my shins, on the inside and some on the outside on the front of the lower leg, on both legs. I also have a groin injury (the tendon connected to your thigh) and also because I did weights the other day, my arms are aching like heck.

I feel so old, having so many injuries! .

But what do I do in the meantime? They say rest is the best thing but rest is boring, I wanna run again . LOL, but seriously, I miss it .

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: Officer Down! I'm Injured :(. - July 11th 2013, 08:13 PM

HEY HAMED!!!!!!!!!

As I like to run and lift weights a bit (hehe), I figured I am qualified to answer this question.

It definitely sounds like you have shin splints, and unfortunately they suck (duh) and they're really common. It seems to me that some people are more prone to them than others, but basically every runner gets them at some point. So join the club. It might take a few months for them to completely go away, but as long as they aren't too painful to run, you should be able to continue running soon.

Right now I would take about a week completely off from running and make sure you ice your shins* frequently (20-25 minutes at a time). You should also do exercises such as alternating walking on your heels for 30 seconds and walking normally for 30 seconds (for about 4 minutes total), or doing toe raises where you stand and lift your toes up while keeping your heels on the ground (you should feel it in your shins). I'd do these exercises about three times a day and continue them even after your week off from running.

After your week off, you could start back reeaaalllyyyy slowly and just see how it feels. Try running maybe 1/4 of your usual distance. If your shins hurt too much to run, I'd take more time off and keep icing and doing the exercises. If they hurt a little bit, it could just be the jolt of getting back into running, and you should be fine to continue building your distance back up as long as they never hurt too much to run. If they don't hurt at all, you should be good to go. Just remember that it's VERY important to get back into it SLOWLY. Don't run more than half your weekly distance from before, and don't run as many days per week. Give yourself a few weeks to get your groove back. If your shins are still a little painful, you can ice before and/or after each run.

Your arms should be fine from the weightlifting. It's normal to be sore, and after a couple of weeks they'll develop a sort of immunity to soreness - you'll be able to do basically any weight workout without getting sore. If they hurt too much to lift weights, take a day or two off. After that I think you'll be good to go!

Unfortunately I don't know much about groin injuries. All I can say is that you should probably take time off, but the internet and/or your doctor (doctor before internet ) are probably your best bets here.

I know we all hate rest, so in the meantime you could swim, ride a bike, stretch, etc...pretty much anything low-impact.

I hope this helped!

*[commercial voice]: THE CLINICALLY PROVEN #1 WAY TO ICE YOUR SHINS!
Okay, anyway. I've found that this is the easiest way to ice: Find someplace where you can sit/lie down with your legs flat and straight out in front of you (for example, sit sideways on the couch). Lay a thin towel, like a dish towel, over both shins. You should only need one towel. Then you'll need two ice packs or bags of frozen vegetables or something (peas and frozen blueberries work best because they're more flexible). Lay one over each shin, long-ways. Generally I've noticed that they won't feel very cold on your shins at first, but over time they'll feel colder as it sort of seeps through the towel. Be sure to watch the time carefully, because if you're on your laptop or something (aka TH ) the time goes by way too fast and before you know it it's been forty minutes and you can't feel your shins anymore. (Don't let this happen...)

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

Closed Thread