TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

View Poll Results: How do you deal with pain
Self harming 5 35.71%
Relegion 1 7.14%
Working out 0 0%
other 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LiberallyBeautiful'97
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Imani

Unhappy I'm Afraid of the silence - July 15th 2013, 06:44 AM

I Am afraid to be alone and I am afraid of the silence because that's when my thoughts start Attacking me. When I am alone, I start thinking about suicide and how much i hate myself. My thoughts scare me. What do i do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: I'm Afraid of the silence - July 15th 2013, 12:21 PM

Try and find something that works for you. What do you enjoy doing?

I know I like the outdoors, photography, gaming and I adore music. All these things are very good for taking my mind off things. There's nothing better than to go for a good walk somewhere or even take pictures of whatever you like and then to come home, upload them to your PC and then you can come home and look back on them and enjoy them time and time again. Even if the pictures are silly, you'll get a good laugh out of them!

Most of all, think positive. Even if you have to have a mental fight with yourself. Tell those negative thoughts they're not welcome anymore and tell them they're unwanted and to leave. Tell yourself that you can get past all those horrible and negative thoughts and tell yourself that you can get past them because you will!

Find someone to talk to, whether its your friends or your family. There's even people here who are willing to sit and listen to you and you'll likely make some good friends along the way.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: I'm Afraid of the silence - July 18th 2013, 04:46 AM

"A creation of importance can only be produced when its author isolates himself, it is a child of solitude." ~Goethe

I have spent the majority of my life in solitude, and such a condition can be either pernicious or constructive depending on one's state of mind. When you are alone, it becomes harder to drown out the problems you need to face directly. Sometimes there are problems or questions you are not prepared to face, and these can overcome you. It is not always cowardly to avoid such thoughts in certain instances. However, it is often difficult to accomplish this. The more you try to block out a negative thought, the stronger it becomes. If you are not prepared to face that emotion and deal with it, you must turn your gaze outward. Imagine a scene, an emotionally-neutral memory, benign object or something of beauty. Try not to attach personal significance, meaning, or nostalgia to it, just visualize it and try to expand your awareness of it. Instead of trying to fight or fix your problems every time they surface, sometimes it is beneficial to focus not on the mind, but on the surrounding world, or perhaps the miraculous quality of life and the vastness of space. Sorry if that sounded a bit pseudo-mystical.

Suicide and self-loathing are obviously very serious topics, and in order to recover you will need to find the source of these negative feelings within yourself. Obviously the antecedents will be different for everyone. Therapy, a close friend, meditation, etc. can help you identify the roots of the problem. I wish you all the best and hope that you may find peace

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I'm Afraid of the silence - July 18th 2013, 01:05 PM

You should definitely talk to a professional (counsellor, psychologist..) if you are having these issues. You shouldn't have to be afraid to be alone. In any case it's one thing to feel lonely or start focusing on insecurities when alone, but if it is so bad you're thinking about suicide you should most certainly talk to someone who can help you with that. You should be ok with being alone, if what is going on in you head is so serious a pro can help.

Yes, things like running make you feel better. The adrenaline (and endorphines... but defs adrenaline) produce "good" feelings, so exercise is always good, but make sure it's exercise you can tolerate (ex. lifting weights in your living room might not do it if you find that to sedentary and dull but can rather compliment bike rides and/or jogging). You can also try learning to play the guitar or piano or clarinet or violin or what ever (or try playing more if you already play). I think that reading is another good choice, find a few good novels and read those. Start drawing too, you can draw pictures that articulate how you feel too. Learn a langauge. The list runs on. Any number of things work for ways to work out feelings and feel positive and entertained.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LiberallyBeautiful'97
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Imani

Re: I'm Afraid of the silence - July 19th 2013, 01:21 AM

Thanks. but, I've tried all of that and nothing works. NOTHING! I'm learning to play the piano now, I write, I dance, I sing, I do as many things as possible to get my mind off of stuff. but, sometimes I have to stop whatever i am doing because i know I'm about to have nervous break down and i need to just lay down or cut or cry in a restroom.

Closed Thread