TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Psoriasis - Natural Help! - September 19th 2013, 07:45 PM

Hi everyone!

I posted in here a while ago about a strange red, scaly, spot thing that had appeared on my chest. Well I went to a doctor who said it was... something long with two words I can't remember and gave me hydrocortisone cream. It worked within 48 hours, my little thing went away, and I was happy. Stopped using the cream and it came back. The cream stopped working and whatever it was got bigger.
Back to the doctor, saw a guy this time who said right off it was obviously Psoriasis. I had it in my eyebrows too so he gave me Alphaderm for my face, and Exorex for my chest, though I used both on my chest after some trial and error. Again it worked, got better, and then got back to where it was again.

At this point I have the spot on my chest, it's in my eyebrows, on my nose, under my hairline at either end and in the middle (just little spots though) and I've also developed little spots of it in the uh bikini area.
I can't use the creams on my hair because right now it can't go 24 hours without getting insanely greasy and needing washed, I can tell by the texture of the cream, that it would make that worse.

Does anyone have any more natural suggestions? I don't want to use the creams further down because I know that skin is more sensitive, and the thing on my chest just seems to grow immune to things. It's really affecting my confidence now since I have to keep checking in a mirror to make sure there are no big flakes of skin on my face or in my hair. I'll take anything that's going, I'm desperate.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Psoriasis - Natural Help! - September 20th 2013, 03:36 PM

Here's a few things I found to help naturally control your Psoriasis, I hope this helps!

Taking supplement such as: fish oil, vitamin D, milk thistle, and evening primrose oil

Using a humidifier to keep moisture in the air

Choose products labeled as "sensitive skin" – these are made without the dyes and perfumes that can irritate skin.

Eliminating red meat and fatty foods have been effective for some. Eating foods such as:soy, nuts, chocolate, and cranberries have been known to help.

Applying olive or vegetable oil to scales and patches of psoriasis can lock moisture and nutrients in. Try massaging a few tablespoons on your scalp to help loosen troublesome plaques during your next shower.

Lukewarm bath with Epsom salt, mineral oil, milk, or olive oil can soothe the itching and infiltrate scales and plaques. Moisturize immediately after your bath for double benefits

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Psoriasis - Natural Help! - September 21st 2013, 12:28 AM

Stuff I've noticed:
Getting enough sunlight does help.
Limit shaving too.
I use Aveeno and it works great for my skin.
Use scentless products like shampoo, lotion, laundry detergent, etc. It may or may not help.
Take showers with colder water.
When you exercise and sweat a lot, take a shower quickly after.
Try to make sure your clothes aren't too tight
Wear breathable fabrics

I personally would never use oil on my skin personally..

Sometimes you can find a trigger. Like when I used powdered gloves in the lab versus the nitrile gloves, my hands developed the scales and redness. Within a month of finishing my lab, my hand improved even though I still was using the alcohol and nitrile gloves.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...11/alternative

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Psoriasis - Natural Help! - September 28th 2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks so much for your responses!

I'm trying to get in the habit of drinking a glass of cranberry juice every day, and am cutting down on red meat (not that I really eat much anyway)
Unfortunately it's difficult to treat the spots in my hair and ears, but I have a phone consultation with the same doctor who prescribed the creams this Thursday so hopefully he'll be able to help me out there.

My grandmother on my mum's side had really bad psoriasis so I'm hoping I don't get it too much worse than I do now.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Reign. Offline
Just Hold On We're Going Home~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kay

Re: Psoriasis - Natural Help! - October 4th 2013, 10:26 PM

Well, from the information that you've given, the condition coming and going as it were is normal for Psoriasis.
It will persistently seem impossible to get rid of, and then it'll seem as if it's going into remission. And back and forth.
It's frustrating. I have Psoriasis on my nose, on my hairline and a few little patches next to my ears.

The advice the other people gave is accurate and may help significantly.
Unfortunately there is no current cure for Psoriasis of any kind and can be costly to treat, so I hope the natural remedies work. Let me know! I've tried the fish oil and it's seemed to help somewhat.
But if you try any/all of the other natural treatments, let us know how it went and what improved and what didn't.
Keep and journal on which things you're trying out and how they effect you. That way you'll keep yourself from getting confused and be able to determine the best natural treatment.

So dance if it moves you,
and jump in the fire, if it burns you.
I'll throw my arms around you darlin',
and we'll turn to ashes.

Kinda like the way you tell me,
"Baby, please come home. I need you here right now.
I'm crying underwater so you don't hear the sound."

What if I can't forget you?
I'll burn your name into my throat.
I'll be the fire that'll catch you.
What's so good about picking up the pieces?

Closed Thread