TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Can't resist binging on sugar, even though I'm intolerant. - October 17th 2013, 06:09 PM

I need some help.

My life has been extremely positive lately, but there's one problem I still have: I have an intolerance to sugar. I've posted on this forum before about suspecting that I had an intolerance due to the sick stomach caused by it, but recently I've noticed that my lymph nodes swell - and noticeably - anytime I eat a lot of it.

Yesterday was my dad's birthday. I've so far eaten a third of his cake, and a half of a bucket of rocky road ice cream. For breakfast I had Fruit Loops. My neck is aching where my lymph nodes have swollen, my head is aching, and I'm dizzy - but I still kept eating it.

I have an addiction to sugar that I just can't whip. Even though it makes me sick, if I eat anything with any hint of sugar or a lot of carbs in it, I start binging on sugar. Every two hours, generally, because I come down off of what I dub a "sugar high" every other hour.

I've spoken to my mother, and she refuses to remove the sugar from the house, even long enough for me to break my addiction. I'm sick, and I can't change it.

I've had a history of eating disorders, but mostly due to the fact that unless I'm constricting calories, I'm binging on sugar. I look fine to myself, my confidence levels are normal - maybe even above average. I just can't stop binging on sugar. Even though it makes me sick, I have no self-control.

Could someone advise me on how to quit, please?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Can't resist binging on sugar, even though I'm intolerant. - October 17th 2013, 08:49 PM

Hey there Anna,

Have you had a chance to make an appointment with your health care provider? If you want answers and to stop eating sugary sweets a health care provider (doctor, nurse, dietician) would help you with figuring out everything. Are you aware of the possible risks of eating too much sugar? You can develop Diabetes. Many of your organs work together to provide energy. Simple blood testing can look at this for you, you can be tested for diabetes (A1C or Random Glucose), and many other things including vitamins, red blood cells, white blood cells, etc.

You may feel 100% okay right now, but you might not be. I would see if you can get to see someone, particularly someone who can walk you through how to reduce sugar, but they also need to figure out why your lymph nodes are enlarged and why.

Is there a possibility you could do this?

How much do you typically have of straight sugars in a day? If you eat 2 bowls of ceral in the morning, just have 1 bowl. If you eat 3 chocolate bars during the day, have one and half 1 1/2 of that. You have to gradually reduce that intake per day, when you do that, go a few weeks at that reduced amount of sugar. After awhile, you can reduce more till you are happy with that amount.

Take care,
Chantal

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Can't resist binging on sugar, even though I'm intolerant. - October 18th 2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alergnon View Post
Hey there Anna,

Have you had a chance to make an appointment with your health care provider? If you want answers and to stop eating sugary sweets a health care provider (doctor, nurse, dietician) would help you with figuring out everything. Are you aware of the possible risks of eating too much sugar? You can develop Diabetes. Many of your organs work together to provide energy. Simple blood testing can look at this for you, you can be tested for diabetes (A1C or Random Glucose), and many other things including vitamins, red blood cells, white blood cells, etc.

You may feel 100% okay right now, but you might not be. I would see if you can get to see someone, particularly someone who can walk you through how to reduce sugar, but they also need to figure out why your lymph nodes are enlarged and why.

Is there a possibility you could do this?

How much do you typically have of straight sugars in a day? If you eat 2 bowls of ceral in the morning, just have 1 bowl. If you eat 3 chocolate bars during the day, have one and half 1 1/2 of that. You have to gradually reduce that intake per day, when you do that, go a few weeks at that reduced amount of sugar. After awhile, you can reduce more till you are happy with that amount.

Take care,
Chantal
I'm making an appointment with my doctor today.

Usually it's not chocolate bars, but for the last week I've been eating whatever I want, and after making a chart to study what I've eaten for the past week, I've realized that most of my meals have been Nutella and toast or peanut butter and honey. I've been living off the stuff for a week.

I'm gonna ask my doctor about it, and see what she says.

Thanks for the advice, Chantal.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

Closed Thread