TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
einstein's dog Offline
charlie
Average Joe

Name: charlie

water fasting - November 3rd 2013, 10:46 AM

hey guys

I've been reading up and watching video logs of water fasting recently and it seems like a great way to lose weight quickly. I know you have to listen to your body on when to stop and be careful so you don't put on all the weight as soon as you stop because it affects your metabolism rate.

I've been thinking about doing this water fasting for weight loss and detoxing my body but i know that there's no way my mum would let me because i only need to mention the word "weight" before she freaks out and thinks I'm going to develop anorexia ot something.

so i wondered if it would be effective to do the water fast on certain days of the week and eat extra healthily on the other days. That way when i stop fasting, it'll be easier to eat normally every day without gaining back any weight.

of course, i will exercise a bit too or it won't work properly but what do you guys think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: water fasting - November 3rd 2013, 03:38 PM

Hi Charlie,

It's funny you should bring this up, because I was, coincidentally, talking to a few nutritionists and such about weight loss techniques in general. Although, I do think that the term should be replaced with fat loss and toning up.

If you're looking to lose excess fat on a permanent level, then water fasting or any crash diets and cleansing routines don't work very well. I've honestly tried them all, and so would like to advise you agaisnt them. And I'll reason out why I feel so, as well.

So, with every exercise routine and cleansing and funky diets, the first bit of weight a person loses is the excess and stored water and air weight, which means that in the first or second weak, you'd lose quite a bit, is the water and air that's been stored in your body. So, doing something for a week and then getting back to your normal diet won't really change anything, in terms of fat loss and such. A more permanent solution is just going healthy, going for a lifestyle change that's conducive to your bodily needs. Which is different for everyone.

So if you want to lose a little weight, what I'd suggest is start eating healthy. Let me biologically fill you in on a few things that could help you out.
The original size and capacity of your stomach is the amount of food you can hold in two hands cupped together, not overflowing. So, essentially, the target would be to bring it back to that size. However, if you're used to eating a little more, then you need to very gradually bring down the amount that you eat, yet still make sure you're getting your fill. Also, you need to make sure you eat regular meals, on time, a few mitues, give or take. Why? Your body, when it doesn't get its meals on time, begins storing a lot more food because it doesn't know when it'll get it's next meal if timings are irregular. And if you delay meals, then you'll become more hungry than you realise, which creates a tendency to eat more to compensate for it.

However, yes, I do stress the importance of water. You need to make sure that you get a sufficient amount of water. 3 or 4 liters a day would do you good and help flush out unnecessary muck.

Also keep in mind that, you need to follow the body's natural metabolistic tendencies. Which is, your body's metabolism is at its highest in the morning and towards the afternoon, but starts decreasing by 3 pm approximately. So you need to make sure your meals are proportionate to it. In the morning and afternoon, ear decent sized meals, but at dinner, cut the portion down by half, because digestion slows down, and most of the food is stored as fat. Same goes for water. Try not to drink too much water past 7pm.

Exercise is important too, as mich mentioned, yet here again, in fact, right through, they all need to be moderate and done gradually. Justvmake sure that you get approximately 3 houra of exercise per week. You'll see really great results by the end of one month. And if you make it a lifeatyle change, it'll helo maintain your body's health and not drain you too much.

Just as a cautionary note: dont just drink water. Add a lot of fruits and veggies rich in water content to your diet, like say, apples, pears, cucumbers, citrus fruits, and such. You need the minerals they have too. Sometimes, water can wash away the minerals you need. So salt or sugar or something and fibre-y in fruits and veg, will help out more

Regular habits, healthy habits, and you'll be fit and toned and sexy soon enough

Hope this helped in some way
Best of luck!

P.s.: if you want to lose weight fast, I don't particularly recommend it, but high-water content fruits and veggiea help more than water, along with two substantial meals a day. Use dinner time to load up on high fibre high water fruits. Salads, with just maybe lime or lemon should do the trick. however, I'd definitely recommend going on a whole change could help a lot more.

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: water fasting - November 4th 2013, 01:31 AM

Look into Intermittent Fasting - the health benefits are enormous, and can even extend your lifespan or reduce the risk of cancer. Wikipedia has a great page on it, but there are lots more out there.

Water fasting is good for you, but only if you don't overdo it.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: water fasting - November 5th 2013, 06:05 AM

Uh...well, I don't know anything about dieting, but I heard somewhere that you kinda need water to...oh, what was the word...? Oh yeah, live. xD
I recommend whatever these awesome people who actually know what they're talking about recommend^^^.
Along with dieting, be sure to get in a healthy amount of exercise and physical activity. that's something I actually DO know about lol. Good luck! and may the odds...be ever in your favor.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: water fasting - November 5th 2013, 03:06 PM

Fasting isn't healthy. It's better to learn about nutrition and learning to make healthy food choices in a healthy matter. Then adding in healthy exercise depending on your current weight.

A better "fast" would be doing a day of eating plenty of raw veggies and a few fruits with plenty of water like a large spinach salad with carrots, tomatoes, and broccoli with a banana on the side. Don't deprive yourself of food. It doesn't reset your taste buds or cravings and it won't help you lose weight long term.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: water fasting - November 5th 2013, 08:47 PM

Water fasting is probably a bad idea because you wont be taking in any salt (unless you have special salt hydration packets). It may mess up the water/salt ratio in your body, which will make you sick. It could actually dehydrate you because your body will not retain water without adequate salt, and you will probably be drinking an abnormally large amount of water in order to try and deal with the hunger.

It also sounds like a recipe for misery and probably will be ineffective at helping you loose weight if that is your goal. A better goal might be to make a habit of not eating unhealthy foods like sodas/juices, candies, breads, chips, desserts, etc..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
einstein's dog Offline
charlie
Average Joe

Name: charlie

Re: water fasting - November 5th 2013, 09:25 PM

i just meant water fasting for a day or so and then eat healthily the other days of the week. Is that any better or worse?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: water fasting - November 6th 2013, 12:37 AM

Again, that's fine! Scientists have done studies on lab rats which prove that fasting once or twice a week can make you healthier, lessen your risk of developing cancer, and help you to maintain a healthy weight. Don't rely on what anyone here's telling you, though. Research the benefits of it, and you'll discover your own results, and you can apply them as you want. Only you can judge what is good and not good for your body.

1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: water fasting - November 6th 2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle. View Post
Again, that's fine! Scientists have done studies on lab rats which prove that fasting once or twice a week can make you healthier, lessen your risk of developing cancer, and help you to maintain a healthy weight. Don't rely on what anyone here's telling you, though. Research the benefits of it, and you'll discover your own results, and you can apply them as you want. Only you can judge what is good and not good for your body.
I'm going to say cite those studies so we can read the entire study to see how it was conducted, whether the results were repeated later with another study, if there were any retractions printed, etc. It's so easy for people to say "there were studies!!!" but so few actually bother to read the studies.

Take her advice. Be skeptical of what people post on the Internet. Especially if they say "people have done studies!" without citing any studies. It shows that they didn't fully read the studies. One particular study done in 2008 mentioned that there were some benefits but also pointed out negatives such as intermittent fasting could negatively affect reproductive organs.

Also the studies are usually done on lab mice, not lab rats.

Overall, intermittent fasting is not needed. People like to claim that it "flushes" out the toxins but the human body is amazing at getting toxins out. It's like people that seem to think that getting an enema is necessary. It's not.

Long term, it's better to practice good habits and making better choices. Instead of a [Edited by Kitty.] snack pack, pick up carrots. Instead of a high calorie pancake breakfast, go for a veggie loaded omelette. Or pick up exercises. You don't need to do a fast to quit eating unhealthy foods.

Last edited by Kitty.; November 17th 2013 at 07:12 AM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: water fasting - November 6th 2013, 12:59 AM

Yeah, well I don't know how to cite those studies, because I haven't seen them myself. But I know that water fasting makes me feel good, and that I really appreciate my food and the fact that I have it a lot more after a twenty-four hour fast, lol.

But in the end, be skeptical. Do what you think feels right for your body. If you do it and like it, and you suffer no adverse effects other than a growling stomach, then go with it. But don't force your body into it if your body decides that it doesn't like starving, and definitely don't do it more than twice a week. That's overkill.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: water fasting - November 8th 2013, 09:52 AM

I've looked up 5:2 fasting and it's actually quite beneficial on your health. I attempted to do it but I'm greedy :') I really should seriously reconsider it again.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: water fasting - November 8th 2013, 01:52 PM

Fasting, in general can be done on one day of the week, yes. But I would advise you against jumping into fasting for 2 days right off. Start off by skipping one meal on one day of the week, then two meals on one day, finally, on one day of the week you can go on a complete fast regularly. That's actually very healthy, because if gives your body rest and recuperation. Which also means you don't have to drink water on that day either. Surprisingly, the excess water from your body is eliminated on that day. Definitely don't go on sudden fasts, because your body is not used to it. It's something people never consider. Yes, they may have conducted a lot of studies, yet those studies don't tell you about the short-lived results and the possibility of them back firing. If you'd really like to go on such diets, I'd say go ahead, but give your body time to adjust and accommodate by doing so gradually.

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: water fasting - November 13th 2013, 09:56 AM

I strongly recommend focusing on doing something like a "veggie" fast where you eat veggies and water. Don't try and starve yourself. That is not the way to lose weight in the long term.

As for the health benefits, usually there are some form of benefits of limiting calories in general but eliminating calories from any one of the three macro nutrients can have serious health risks. Not to mention that most of the users on this site are under 18 and should be focusing more on eating healthy than trying to lose weight through crashes like these.

It is scary at how many people are advocating that teenagers should fast. If anything, talk to your doctor or a dietician to find out if you should fast. Most likely they will tell you no.

As for the 5:2 fast, I can guarantee you that book is meant for adults. There is also probably a disclaimer in the book that says "consult your doctor first." Why? Because they don't want to be held liable for anyone messing up their bodies.

Also, the fact that someone just admitted that they never read the studies doesn't shock me. Most people who advocate for something do not have professional training or have read a site that mentioned a study that the author may have never read.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: water fasting - November 13th 2013, 12:51 PM

I agree very strongly with concrete angel. Quick fad diets, or diets at all and more likely temporary fasts are just that, TEMPORARY. Not to mention probably put some stress inevitably on your body if you stop or start too suddenly. The best answer is ALWAYS a lifestyle change, replace fatty unhealthy snack food like chips with air popped popcorn with a little sea salt instead of the chemically engineered butter flavour, eat real fruits instead of fruit snacks or fruit roll ups, and a good rule of thump is to always try and get 1-2 servings of veggies in with every meal, and of course EXCERSIZE. Excersize can be integrated easily into your daily routine it just takes a little diligence. You could do some push ups and sits up every morning before your shower, or rotate it with a few sets of mountain climbers just to keep it fresh and to keep challenging your body so that it doesn't plateau. Walk to school, or if you live in a city take your bike half way then take the bus. Where I live all the public transit busses have bike racks on them.

There are tons of tips and tricks out there to make your lifestyle that much more healthy and thus resulting in a long term loss than fasting for a week or two or fad/crash diets. I personally hate the word "diet" because it translates to temporary get rich quick schemes most of the time. Not to mention the days you'd be fasting on your body would be triggered to store fat due to not knowing when it's next meal is. Just something else to keep in mind. You could try a detox apple "diet" if you want to cleanse. Take one day a week only eating apples and a few strawberries. Strawberries are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Having SOME food there will help keep your body from going into a fat storing mode.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: water fasting - November 13th 2013, 03:34 PM

A temporary lifestyle change will lead to temporary weight loss. All there is to it. If you want I can cite a study where normal males were deprived of food and the effects.

Good luck in whatever you do. :P

Take as long as you need.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: water fasting - November 13th 2013, 07:05 PM

So, unlike the rest of the people in this thread, I took it upon myself to actually try water fasting for a day, and do some more research into the studies I vaguely referenced above (as per Sarasa's suggestions).

My opinion on the matter is still that you should go according to your body's internal "hungry clock," and forget about anything that anyone else tells you, but this is what I experienced on my one day of water fasting...

First of all, I didn't last the entire day. I lasted until about one, when I finally broke away from it and started eating normally again. I experienced dizzy spells at first, but this wore off to a simple feeling of what I'll call "openness" in my chest - like an elephant had been sitting on my chest before, and I could finally breathe. My stomach didn't growl the entire day. When I ate, both yesterday and this morning, I noted that I had far more control over what I was eating than I normally do. I was able to tell when I was no longer hungry, and to leave my plate when I felt satisfied, as compared to my usual seeking of the "full" feeling. For these reasons, I plan on trying it again tomorrow.

Now, I looked into some more research that far more wiser folks than I have looked into before me. I'm not good at reading straight-up research papers; they drive me insane, and I can't keep my attention focused. But, I did find THIS article by a man whose opinions I very much respect. Note that THIS post was made soon after, in response to a response made by a woman who also tried IF, and then did some research of her own.

In the end, I still say that no one can tell you what to do with your body. Each body is unique, and metabolizes food at different rates. What one body can bear, another made be unable to. In my experience, what other people say should have no hold over what you do with your body. Your body is, after all, your own. You know its signals best. It's like me with calorie-counting: I learned very quickly that I get sick eating what others dub a "normal" amount of food, which I attribute to a slow metabolism, and may be the same reason I can go for nearly twenty-four hours without food and feel perfectly fine. Your body might be the same way, or it may be completely different, and you may start fainting right and left.

I'm a bit unorthodox in my nutritional ways, if you can't tell. I'll try anything and everything, and to hell with other people's opinions. I work with my body: I don't listen to other people's opinions, because in the past that has done nothing but make me gain weight and feel too sick and lethargic to move. But if you do try this, do it with caution, and do it with the intent of making your body feel better. Getting into a mindset of "I must lose weight, even if it kills me!" is what you need to avoid above all. That leads to eating disorders. Trust me, I know. If you start to feel bad, stop it immediately and reevaluate your methods.

Listening with your body instead of your ears is key here, Charlie.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: water fasting - November 16th 2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
First of all, I didn't last the entire day. I lasted until about one, when I finally broke away from it and started eating normally again. I experienced dizzy spells at first, but this wore off to a simple feeling of what I'll call "openness" in my chest - like an elephant had been sitting on my chest before, and I could finally breathe. My stomach didn't growl the entire day. When I ate, both yesterday and this morning, I noted that I had far more control over what I was eating than I normally do. I was able to tell when I was no longer hungry, and to leave my plate when I felt satisfied, as compared to my usual seeking of the "full" feeling. For these reasons, I plan on trying it again tomorrow.
Dizziness could be from low blood sugar. A high risk if you are choosing to not eat.

Also, do you think the control came from the fasting or because you wanted to have better control and therefore having a placebo effect? Like "I'm doing this so I should see x, y, z." Since you knew what outcome you would like to see, you inherently biased your little trial. If I told someone that I am giving them a secret drug that will make their energy levels go up if they drink it, they will probably feel like they have more energy even if it is just water and food coloring.

Honestly, they should close this topic because it could get into danger grounds. I am not a licensed RN yet (a month away) and you're not medically trained. Advocating this diet is dangerous for a teenager you do not know in person and have not seen. We cannot tell if she is underweight and malnourished from an eating disorder or if she is obese. Both of those factors could influence the health risk. If her blood sugar drops because she is not eating and instead fasting because of advice she received on the Internet, and she goes into a coma and dies, would you feel guilty? There is a reason why healthcare providers will not provide advice over the phone unless they know the patient and instead advocate for them to go to an ER or make an appointment most of the time.

First off, given the fact that she is 20 she probably does not need help with lipids at the moment. If she is relatively healthy, then her glucose should be fine. Physical activity and eating more veggies would give the same benefits as the studies show. It is also included in the cited studies that the diets are not likely to be considered manageable long-term. So which would make more sense? Take the time to become healthier in a way that will affect your life long-term or fast and see an increase in health benefits for a short period of time?

The studies do not show long-term effects. It does not show what trying to do the alternative fasting every day for a year will do for your body.

Also this is from My Daily Apple:
Quote:
As it stands right now, I’d be inclined to agree that pre-menopausal (and perhaps peri-menopausal) women are more likely to have poor – or at least different – experiences with intermittent fasting, at least as a weight loss tool. That said, it appears to be a potentially gender-neutral therapeutic tool for chemotherapy, cancer, and age-related neurodegeneration patients.

Closed Thread