TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ashley

Question Random Fainting, Weird Thoughts, HELP - November 16th 2013, 08:22 AM

I fainted (probably) Sunday night.

I was in the kitchen and I heard the noises of me falling to the ground, and my food dropping but I didn't feel/see anything. I was very confused afterwards. I have no idea how long I was out. Nobody saw me. I was extremely tired afterwards. When I fell I hit my chin (judging by the bruise on my chin) off the counter and the back of my head off the door nob (only assuming this due to a dent in my door nob that wasn't there before the fall and the way the 'egg' on my head felt) and ground.

Monday morning when I woke up I couldn't remember how to turn off my alarm on my phone. I knew it was my alarm, and that it meant it was time for me to get up but I couldn't remember where the noise was coming from and how to make it stop. I also couldn't remember how to turn on my shower. My mom then picked me up from my house and brought me to the E.R.

At the E.R. they did many tests: Drug test, pregnancy test, EKG, EEG, CT, multiple blood pressure test, blood tests, sobriety tests... The list goes on, but all of them appeared normal.

Some doctors think it was a seizure, even though they couldn't detect anymore. Some are saying eating disorder. My diet may not be the best, however, it's the best it has ever been for me.

I do not agree with either diagnosis.

I fainted again Wednesday morning, but I was able to sit on my bed before it happened. The doctors do not know about this. I felt the same way as before, and I had the confusion/sleepiness afterwards.

I don't know if I'm just over thinking stuff, but for some reason tonight (it is 4 am my time) I can't sleep. All I can think about is how I am hungry again, how fat I am, and all the things I hate about my body. I cannot sleep because I am disgusted with myself.

I have NEVER had these thoughts before. There are things I don't like about my body, but I have NEVER been disgusted with it or felt this gross, and fat.

I do not think I have an eating disorder, I think that the doctor asking me questions about my diet, and how I feel about my weight triggered something for me to feel this way, or I'm just psychologically insane and creating a problem.

How do I stop these thoughts?
What could have caused the fainting?
How do I prevent myself from fainting again?
How do I cope with the little bit of memory loss? Nothing big... For example, I receive 4 essays back in my English class that I don't remember writing.

Also, ever since this has happened I have been getting nauseated, and sleeping a lot (until tonight). I have been an emotional wreck, and crying all the time (I rarely cried before this). It is NOT pregnancy they took a urine sample and two blood samples just to make sure because of the these symptoms.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and helping!

P.S. I'm scared... I'm cannot work until my doctor gives the okay (which she is refusing), and I missed a whole week of school. I feel like I have no control over my body any more, and it's scary.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Random Fainting, Weird Thoughts, HELP - November 16th 2013, 09:17 PM

Some of your symptoms such as crying and being emotional could very well be from the situation. It's stressful and you do say you feel like you're out of control of your life.

It sounds like it could very well be both of those diagnoses. Low blood sugar can cause you to pass out or become confused. When I did my clinicals on the squad, we had to force feed a woman glucose because her blood sugar was too low and we didn't want to injure her by holding her down to start an IV (which was the next step). We didn't carry glucagon in that county so we couldn't have given her that shot.

However, if you've never had those thoughts before, it could be from the lack of sleep and being emotional. It could also be a preference for that possible disorder over seizures.

If it was a seizure, they may not be able to detect it till another seizure occurs again. Did they do a 24 hour eeg? If it was a seizure, it could explain for some of the confusion. People typically become confused after a seizure for awhile. It's called a postictal phase. However, it usually only lasts a brief while like 30 minutes. Usually it's less than that.

Also, do you have a primary care physician that can follow you long-term? If not, I would work on finding one. Unfortunately, until they figure out a cause for the fainting, it can be difficult to prevent one. The two causes they are looking at would involve different prevention strategies. One is psychological and the other one could potentially involve medication.

Also, is the memory loss from stress of the situation or is it from the fainting? I would bring that up to your team of physicians and see what they think.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Random Fainting, Weird Thoughts, HELP - November 26th 2013, 06:27 AM

I typically don't see doctors. This was my first time in two years.

The memory loss was (I assume) from fainting.

I do not believe it was a seizure.

My blood sugar was at normal levels.

The EEG was just an hour long.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Random Fainting, Weird Thoughts, HELP - November 29th 2013, 05:59 AM

What was your blood sugar on admission? Did you test it after you started feeling faint again before you eat?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Random Fainting, Weird Thoughts, HELP - December 1st 2013, 11:20 PM

I don't know what my blood sugar was. I have never had problems with it before. We just found out we have had a gas leak the past couple weeks, could that have caused it?

Closed Thread