TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ClockWorkHearts Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ko

Unhappy Always getting sick - January 5th 2014, 05:02 AM

Recently I have been having allot of stomach issues, most minor and easy to ignore (small tummy aches, car sickness, gurgling) but sometimes, like once or twice every couple of months I'll get a really bad stomach "bug", though I only call it this because it lasts a day or two then goes away but the symptoms are always the same so I assume its not a virus. During these "episodes" I have:

*sharp pain in my upper/middle abdomen (the pain is sharp and burning like having a heart burn and is usually in the same general area each time)
*diarrhea
*sulfur smelling burps
*gas
*nausea (and sometimes vomiting)
*headaches (sometimes; though I assume it is more from the stress and not a symptom)
**trouble swallowing (not just when I feel sick, all the time)

I know, It sounds gross but I really need some advice, I've tried to talk to my parents about getting in to see a doctor but they always just give me this "look" when I describe the pain as "heartburn-ish" . I've looked up my symptoms online (or as close as I could find anyway) and I think I might have stomach ulcers (an ulcer?), anyways any advice/ideas would be a big help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Always getting sick - January 5th 2014, 09:16 AM

Honestly, your best bet is to see a doctor. It could be nothing (such as heartburn, maybe you're infrequently eating something that makes your stomach feel iffy) or it could be something more serious (an ulcer, as you mentioned, or maybe an allergy). Here on TeenHelp, we cannot diagnose you with anything, and neither can your parents. I'd highly recommend you see a doctor. If your parents continue being weird, consider going to your school nurse and asking for an opinion there and see if she refers you.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Always getting sick - January 6th 2014, 10:40 PM

Stomach ulcers are caused by a virus though!

Anyway, the best bet is to see a doctor and in the meantime wash your hands frequently and to make sure that your food is cooked properly. It could very well be food poisoning or irritation from what you eat. I would recommend seeing a primary care physician as ERs are not really the best place to get long-term testing and follow-up care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Always getting sick - January 13th 2014, 07:10 PM

It's so easy to Google up one's symptoms, but there is danger in self-diagnosing so I strongly recommend you consult your doctor and go from there.

I find it helps when perched at my computer to sit up straighter and not slump forward as happens when one is tired. Such a position doesn't help digestion.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Always getting sick - January 14th 2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasa View Post
Stomach ulcers are caused by a virus though!

Anyway, the best bet is to see a doctor and in the meantime wash your hands frequently and to make sure that your food is cooked properly. It could very well be food poisoning or irritation from what you eat. I would recommend seeing a primary care physician as ERs are not really the best place to get long-term testing and follow-up care.
Stomach ulcers are actually caused by a bacteria not a virus, Helicobacter pylori to be specific.

To the OP : I echo what other users have already said, it's probably best to see your doctor so they can do some tests. Maybe try and make the appointment on your own if your parents are acting weird about it.

It might help to keep a diary of when you're getting the symptoms and how long they last, as well as what food you've eaten that day. Like Traci said it could be a particular food allergy or intolerance that's giving you a nasty reaction. If you start to notice any patterns (e.g whenever you've eaten dairy the symptoms are worse) then try cutting that food item out of your diet for a couple of weeks to see if you notice any improvement.

I hope this helps, take care

Closed Thread