TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
you are perfect to me ❤
Average Joe

Name: Celine
Location: My own little world where the only thing that can hurt me is myself

Points: 10,765, Level: 15 Points: 10,765, Level: 15 Points: 10,765, Level: 15

Doctor's Scales Wrong? - February 5th 2014, 09:42 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Since about 2 months ago I've been trying to lose weight, mainly due to unbelievable back pain. When I started, I weighed about [edit].

At the weekend my sister and I spotted some scales in a shop and decided to try them. I stood on them a couple times and every time the reading was [edit] lower

However, at the doctor's yesterday morning, she weighed me and it came back [edit] higher! That puts my BMI at obese!

The thing is, I certainly do not look even CLOSE to obese! I've been taking my measurements regularly since I started losing weight and they've decreased a LOT. My body has slimmed down to the point where I can see the beginnings of a thigh gap, if I stretch I can see my ribs poking out and my shoulder blades are also poking out.

So my question basically is this, how can there be a [edit] difference in the space of 3 days? For the record, my doctor just uses an ordinary step on scale with the face and the arm that spins around, not a proper scale with the weights.

and in that moment, I swear we were infinite

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; February 5th 2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Weight numbers are against the code of conduct
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Doctor's Scales Wrong? - February 5th 2014, 03:33 PM

Hey there Celine,

Basically the reason for this difference is that you may have been losing fat during your weight loss regime but you could have gained muscle. Muscles are more dense than fat so will increase your weight without making you look obese. For this reason weight measurements and BMI aren't always accurate for everyone. If you've been taking measurements as well then this should show where the weight loss has been so pay more attention to that rather than what the scales say.

There's also the fact that individual scales will show different readings which could further cause a difference in your weight measurements.

Honestly, the best thing to do is try to pay little attention to the numbers but focus on what you look like instead. Get to a point where you're happy with how your body looks rather than what the scale says. I hope this helped
Closed Thread