TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
-Legion- Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Why am I not reaching my predicted height? - February 27th 2014, 03:20 AM

Just a bit of information about me before we dive in:

Height (current): 176.5cm or 5ft 9.5in
Height (at 14): 171cm or 5ft 7.5in
Height (at 13): 168cm or 5ft 6in
Weight: [edit]
Parents Height: 168cm or 5ft 6in

Ok, so my doctor said that I would be at least 183cm tall many years ago. However I haven't grown at all winter(at least 3 months) and am stuck at 176.5cm. I eat right so I know that is not a problem, I have also upped my milk consumption back to 3 glasses per day because I think a recent dip might be to blame (I started drinking 2 glasses instead of the 3 that I have been for years). Also, I know that my father isn't tall but all of his uncles and cousins are very tall, most of them being around 183cm and a lot being over that. My mother's family has even taller individuals. In fact, the people from the region of the world that I am from are traditionally tall (average height is around 180cm). Here in Canada I am above average but barely .

Do you guys think that I will still grow despite not having have grown for the last 3 or even 4 months? I did hear that kids grow more and faster in the spring... Also, is there anything that I can do to ensure that I reach my max height?

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; February 27th 2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: weight numbers are against the code of conduct

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Why am I not reaching my predicted height? - February 27th 2014, 03:46 AM

I just want to say that what the doctors give for height predictions are just estimates, meaning that they won't necessarily be 100% accurate. There's room for error, meaning you may be a bit taller or shorter than what your doctor predicted. What matters the most is if you are healthy at whatever height you are at! If you think there are any problems that may be causing your growth to be slowed down, it'd be best to speak with your doctor, but it may just be that the estimate was a bit off.

I'll give you an example. My doctor predicted that my sister and I would both be 5'9" at growth, which is only a bit under what you are now. I'm only 5'1" (about 154.9 cm) and am done growing and my sister is only around 5'4" (about 162.6cm) fully grown! Does it mean that we were unhealthy or there was a problem that stunted our growth? Not necessarily. It just means the estimate was off.

But, as I said, if you want to ensure that you reach your max height, you can always speak to your doctor about it and see if there is anything they suggest. They'd be able to give you the healthiest ways to grow. It's possible that you will start growing again, but I can't say it with 100% certainty since I'm not a doctor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Why am I not reaching my predicted height? - February 27th 2014, 04:03 AM

I forget where I learned it, but guys grow longer than girls. On average, once a girl reaches puberty, she stops growing while boys grow until they're 21 so you may have slowed down, but you're probably not done growing yet. And just because you have really tall people in your family doesn't mean you'll be tall. My dad is only 5'6" while my uncle is 5'11" and my great uncle is 6'0". If doctors estimate based on the height of your parents, they can still be wrong.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryanviola Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ryan Viola

Re: Why am I not reaching my predicted height? - February 27th 2014, 10:57 AM

I just want to say consult 2 3 doctors separately take as many advices as you can. Rest follow the jogging regularly with healthy diet schedule which should be beneficial to your growth.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Why am I not reaching my predicted height? - February 27th 2014, 11:08 AM

Firstly, a doctors prediction about someone's eventual height is just an estimate. No one can really know that for sure and sometimes nature just does it's thing. Is it a big problem for you that you're not this certain height? I would say as long as you're happy and healthy you shouldn't let yourself worry about your height, if it isn't effecting your everyday life.

Also, you can still grow way into your 20s so don't think you're finished growing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Why am I not reaching my predicted height? - February 27th 2014, 03:41 PM

It's just estimates based on trends and data input which could also include looking at your parents'. Kids can chart all over the standardized growth charts.

Closed Thread