TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Sinus infection - February 7th 2016, 12:22 PM

Hey,

About five or six months ago I had a sinus infection. It took me a couple of months to realise what was actually wrong with me, most of my symptoms were that of a cough or cold. I'm a smoker, so partly I thought the fact I couldn't get rid of it was because of smoking. Anyway, in the finish I went to my doctor and they prescribed me some antibiotics and some nasal spray to use daily. I was religiously taking the medication and using the nasal spray, and the majority of my symptoms went, the runny nose, the coughing. Since then my ears have still been feeling really congested. I went back to my doctors and they have prescribed me the nasal spray again because my ear canals and my ear drum are swollen, causing my hearing to be muffled and causing them to feel blocked constantly. I took the spray and still I am having the pain/discomfort. I booked an appointment and due to work I can't do appointments during the day, so it only leaves evenings/weekends. The night before I barely slept because of the pain, so I went to my doctors and luckily they have managed to fit me in for Saturday, so I only have another week of having to put up with this. Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of this pain or stopping my ears from being so blocked. I feel like I'm doing everything I possibly can and I'm in so much discomfort and can't sleep.

I just need something to help get rid of this, It's unbelievably frustrating.

Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Sinus infection - February 7th 2016, 07:09 PM

I'd suggest asking your doctor about prednisone or another anti-inflammatory medication. In the mean time, I'd suggest taking Acetimonphen or Naproxen/Ibuprofen. That should also help relieve some pain and swelling. You can also apply a cold compress to the outside of your ear for 15-20 minutes which may help.

I hope you get to feeling better. I've been dealing with a sinus infection, bronchitis, and pneumonia combo for four months! So I hope you are able to beat yours faster than I have been. Hang in there!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Sinus infection - February 7th 2016, 08:40 PM

I actually had this same thing happen to me in December. I didn't go to the doctors for the ear pain though, instead I just took Sudafed which is a decongestant and it took about 5 days to a week but my ears slowly had less pressure in them. I think drinking a lot of fluids is also really important, especially for a sinus infection. Sorry to hear you're dealing with this, I hope you feel better soon.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Sinus infection - February 7th 2016, 09:11 PM

On the point of Nicole's, I do suggest Sudafed as well. However, keep in mind your nasal spray is also a decongestant. So it's not recommended to take both at the same time. Instead, take the nasal spray for up to 10 days (depending on the spray, some only recommend up to 3 days) then wait a couple days before beginning an oral decongestant.

Just wanted to point that out!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Sinus infection - February 8th 2016, 10:57 PM

Thanks guys! I'm going back to my doctor on Saturday thankfully. She told me to use the nasal spray for a month but it hasn't seemed to help much. I will get some sudafed tomorrow and see if that helps a bit more.

Cheers again ladies.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Outreach and Communications Officer

I can't get enough

Re: Sinus infection - February 9th 2016, 05:29 AM

I learned from my last sinus infection to never leave it till last minute. I don't remember if I had ear blockage, I do remember my entire face above my lips hurt and my head felt like it was swimming in a fish tank.

What helps me when I have a earache is put a towel in the dryer till it gets hot and then lay directly on it with my ear on it. Usually, you may hear popping or ear wax become loose and watery. You can also heat a rice-pack up and do the same thing. When do it, make sure you're head is pressing against it on the side, as you would do if you laid on your side. This helps drain your ear. You would need to do one ear at a time.

It may be a bit painful at first but it does help. You could take a anti-inflammatory pill during it.

I hope this helps. I do hope you start to feel better soon.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread