TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NK2000 Offline
Dr. Strange
Welcome me, I'm new!

Sleeping problems - May 31st 2016, 05:19 AM

I don't feel rested when I get up in the morning however I do get enough hours of sleep. Is there anything I can do for this? Some friends recommended sleeping shirtless, in my underwear or nude; thoughts or experiences with any of those? Thanks in advance

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Sleeping problems - May 31st 2016, 10:23 AM

Hey (and welcome to TeenHelp!)

What is your sleep routine like? It's generally recommended that you get around 8 hours of sleep per night, so going to bed too late or too early can be disruptive and make you feel unrested. Also, it's good to avoid screens before going to bed as the light from the screen confuses your brain into thinking that it's still daytime. It can be helpful to relax and unwind 30 minutes ore more before you go to bed, so perhaps read a little, have a nice bath etc. and try not to stress about things. Also, it's recommended that you don't eat several hours before bed as this can also make you restless during the night.

Temperature is also an important factor. If you feel you are too warm, taking off a layer of sheets or the duvet from the bed can help, as can sleeping with less clothes on (your preference on how you go about doing that).

Do you snore? Though you may be getting enough sleep, snoring can definitely make you more tired, and it can disrupt your sleeping patterns. Try lying on your side. While snoring is harmless, it can sometimes be a symptom of sleep apnoea (snoring and gasping for breath leaving you tired in the day, but being unaware of the snoring). If nothing seems to work for you, and you can't settle down into a regular sleep pattern without feeling tired during the day, it might help to talk to your doctor.

Hope this helped

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Sleeping problems - May 31st 2016, 04:52 PM

In addition to what has already been said, try to get as much natural light when you wake up. Avoid being in bright fluorescent lights for long periods of time as this can make you more tired. Make your bed as soon as you wake up and avoid using your bed for activities other than sleep. Even if you're getting enough hours of sleep try to play around with bedtime and wake up time, for example I feel more rested if I sleep from 11-7 than if I sleep from other times (even if it's the same amount of sleep).

I would also suggest seeing your doctor, as it can be a symptom of a sleep disorder. And as mentioned, it's a symptom of sleep apnea. I just wanted to point out that there's two types and you don't necessarily need to snore to have central sleep apnea.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Sleeping problems - May 31st 2016, 08:14 PM

Do you go to bed around the same time and get up around the same time every day? This includes the summer and weekends. Setting a schedule may help you a lot more. A routine can help a lot too.

Do you drink a lot of caffeine? If you do, try to restrict it to earlier in the day. I know teenagers used to drink a lot of pop and energy drinks. Coffee and tea usually have a lot of caffeine in it.

Avoiding screen time at least an hour before going to bed can help too.

Other causes can include depression or anxiety.

Eating before going to bed won't affect sleep quality barring it doesn't upset your GI system (meaning if you can't handle Taco Bell and have diarrhea from it usually, eating it right before bed is probably a bad idea). Drinking lots of water or fluids will probably make you wake up due to a full bladder.

Also, you could try increasing the amount of time you're sleeping. The 8 hours of sleep is just an average. Some people need more. Some people need less.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NK2000 Offline
Dr. Strange
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sleeping problems - June 1st 2016, 03:25 AM

I normally get around 8 hours every night but it varies based on homework and other things. School is done in 3 weeks so I'll be able to sleep longer then. Thanks for the input everyone, I'll work with your suggestions! As for the questions you asked; I shower then go to bed most nights around 10, up by 6 for school. Sometimes a little later. My room can be hot at night, i open the window to fix that but my mom is too cheap for ac :-/. No I do not snore and I normally sleep on my side. I wi be getting to sleep a little later but sleeping longer when summer comes most likely. I don't drink much caffeine. Screen time is probably my biggest issue haha. I like to be active and outside enjoying the weather and respond to texts and stuff before bed, proabably my problem right there. Thanks for your answers guys and have a good day/night!

Closed Thread