TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Not getting a restful sleep. - September 21st 2016, 01:15 AM

It takes me a while to get comfortable and actually fall asleep, but not like alarmingly long on most nights I don't think. I never really check the time. But when I am asleep I toss and throw myself around and moan and groan and mumble.

I wake up tired and go through the day tired too, which I'm connecting to that.

Is there any way to lessen that problem?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Not getting a restful sleep. - September 22nd 2016, 05:41 PM

Hi Dez,

I have the exact same issue.. For the past month or so I'm averaging about 3-6 hours a night. I was taken off the med that actually helped me sleep every night. I started trying Benadryl at night, that would help me sleep for about 2 hours and then I would be awake for the rest of the night. The exact same thing when I tried taking Gravol (an anti-nausea medication, which also causes tiredness). I started taking a Benadryl at night and then a childrens anti-nausea when I wake up at 12 or 1. I find that helps a bit more so maybe that might help for you? You could also try using Melatonin which is a natural sleeping aid. I used to use it and it used to work for me. I'm actually considering going back on it but I need to make sure that I can take it with my other medication. Lydia has also recommended drinking herbal tea before bed. I also used to drink Lemon Balm tea which helped a bit, and also helped with my night time anxiety.

I hope these might help you. I hope you can sleep soon.
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Not getting a restful sleep. - September 22nd 2016, 07:25 PM

If you're on antidepressants, they could be suppressing REM sleep. I know there are some antidepressants that you have to stop before getting a sleep study because it can mess with results. I'm not sure specifically which ones, but it's something to think about. Other meds you're taking might cause you to have restless sleep. Melatonin is great, in my opinion, though some people find it harder to wake in the morning when they take it. It can cause some people to be groggy the next morning/day. I never had that problem. I strongly caution against using Benedryl to sleep, as using it regularly/long term can cause memory problems.

Is this something new or has it been going on for a while? If it's not anything new, it could also be the sign of the start of any number of sleep problems. One of the first signs of my sleep disorder was constantly waking at night. Honestly I'd suggest talking to your doctor since it could be any number of things and the cause will likely affect what will help. They can also give you the okay to take something like melatonin. Or if it's caused from something else you're taking, they may be able to help you come up with a solution (that doesn't necessarily involve stopping whatever meds).

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Not getting a restful sleep. - September 23rd 2016, 06:03 AM

Hey Dez,

I personally started taking melatonin, which you can get over the counter pretty much anywhere that sells medication. It isn't necessarily a sleeping pill, but it does help relax your body. When I take it, I typically fall asleep within 20 minutes and sleep pretty peacefully throughout the night. I also don't have an issue waking up after taking it the way I do if I take sleeping pills.

If you do decide to give it a shot, I'd recommend starting with the 3 mg capsules until you find out how it affects your sleep cycle, since everyone is a little different!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Not getting a restful sleep. - September 25th 2016, 04:33 PM

I talked to a pharmacist who said that it's fine to take melatonin with my meds, so I took it for the first time last night. How many nights does it normally take to work, because it took me abnormally long to fall asleep last night but I did wake up feeling better than usual.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Not getting a restful sleep. - September 25th 2016, 09:50 PM

I recommend melatonin as well. It's very gentle and it can work wonder. I used it when my insomnia was the worst (when I could go 2 days without really sleeping) and it never failed.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

Closed Thread