TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

how can i tell if my periods are irregular or not? - September 22nd 2016, 05:50 PM

I've been keeping track of cycles this year which is something new I tried. I now have several months in the record and I'm looking through it and it can be interpreted as regular or irregular depending what the word actually means in this context.
My cycle ranges from 18-26 days. But it was never the same consecutively. Sometimes it does vary more than a few days but there was this time when it went 25, 24,23,22, 25, 21
Is that normal? Should I see a doctor? Last time I saw a doctor, she asked me if my periods are regular and I said yes even though it went from 18 to 25 the next month because that seemed like a one time thing. But then I still have variations, less dramatic but I still wonder. I just can't tell what my norm is anymore.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Name: Brooke

Re: how can i tell if my periods are irregular or not? - September 23rd 2016, 11:02 AM

im abit confused by what you mean 18-26 days like apart, it as far as i know to vary slightly by maybe being upto 5-7dats late or early, but it doesnt hurt to check with your gp anyway, but aslong there coming once a month and not lasting much more then a week and come reguarly and come at start, middle or end of month regularly like some people willexpect theres to come around about the middle of every month, but checking with your gp is a good idea if your concerned

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: how can i tell if my periods are irregular or not? - September 23rd 2016, 01:30 PM

I would get a period tracker if I were you. The one I use is called P Tracker. It's pretty useful, it'll tell you what your average cycle length is, it'll show you how long your periods are on average etc. and after a while you'll be able to start seeing patterns emerge. It should help to better understand the regularity (or lack of it) in regards to your period.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: how can i tell if my periods are irregular or not? - September 23rd 2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contaigous-misery View Post
im abit confused by what you mean 18-26 days like apart, it as far as i know to vary slightly by maybe being upto 5-7dats late or early, but it doesnt hurt to check with your gp anyway, but aslong there coming once a month and not lasting much more then a week and come reguarly and come at start, middle or end of month regularly like some people willexpect theres to come around about the middle of every month, but checking with your gp is a good idea if your concerned
18-26 means the cycle has came in 18 days and another time 26. So it can be 18 and 25 the next which is 7 days difference. But the example I mentioned above it was 1 day difference but descending every month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
I would get a period tracker if I were you. The one I use is called P Tracker. It's pretty useful, it'll tell you what your average cycle length is, it'll show you how long your periods are on average etc. and after a while you'll be able to start seeing patterns emerge. It should help to better understand the regularity (or lack of it) in regards to your period.
I do use an online tracker. I get "statistics" which shows the cycle length and frequency. But I still can't quite tell as there's no average.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: how can i tell if my periods are irregular or not? - September 23rd 2016, 06:21 PM

Clue is by far the best tracker I've ever used. Judging by whether it comes at the beginning or end of the month is not a reliable way of telling, since eventually it slowly changes. Mine has always 23 days so I'm not really sure what is considered abnormal. I would just say bring your information next time you see the doctor and they'll give you a better idea.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: how can i tell if my periods are irregular or not? - September 24th 2016, 06:38 PM

I am not sure what's considered normal to be honest. If you are concerned about it you could always schedule an appointment with your doctor unless you have an appointment coming up relatively soon then you can wait till then.

Before I started birth control my periods came around the same time every month give or take a couple days. I used a period tracker app for a while but I didn't use it right so it was off.

You said you're already using a tracker app though and your question is more about the times your period comes. In general, I found this by doing a google search though:

Quote:
A normal menstrual cycle lasts 28 days, plus or minus seven days. Menstrual bleeding is considered irregular if it occurs more frequently than every 21 days or lasts longer than 8 days. Missed, early, or late periods are also considered signs of an irregular cycle.
I hope that this helps!

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: how can i tell if my periods are irregular or not? - September 24th 2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblood. View Post
Clue is by far the best tracker I've ever used. Judging by whether it comes at the beginning or end of the month is not a reliable way of telling, since eventually it slowly changes. Mine has always 23 days so I'm not really sure what is considered abnormal. I would just say bring your information next time you see the doctor and they'll give you a better idea.
I use strawberry pal because it is an online website and I dont have a phone that can hold apps. I have a tablet but it's cheap and slow and might crash if I add any apps (I deleted all of the apps and am in the process of deleting pdfs and downloads after I back them up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
I am not sure what's considered normal to be honest. If you are concerned about it you could always schedule an appointment with your doctor unless you have an appointment coming up relatively soon then you can wait till then.

Before I started birth control my periods came around the same time every month give or take a couple days. I used a period tracker app for a while but I didn't use it right so it was off.

You said you're already using a tracker app though and your question is more about the times your period comes. In general, I found this by doing a google search though:

I hope that this helps!
Thank you, it does help. I will also mention it to my doctor the next time Last time I went was early June and I dont really see a doctor regularly but I've been trying to see one for a checkup once a year for blood work and the like. Last time all the results came out normal but the doctor left a message asking me to redo the test and I didn't want to (I get anxiety when I go to health clinics) so I never called back. Maybe I can call back and then mention this too I've also aged out of my pediatric office so I would go to different doctors until I find one I want to stick to. But for now I will continue with the one I went to the previous time.
It is possible my "norm" is 25 days because I got that 3 times in several months. But that means I've been getting early periods like 18, 19, 21 and 22. Like 24 or 26 seems close enough to 25 but I'm not sure about the others.

Closed Thread