TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Not really sure. - October 2nd 2016, 11:32 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey guys.

Btw, feel free to move this if needed. Not sure what it is so wasn't sure where it belongs.

Basically, okay this feels a bit awkward to talk about. For a while I've been picking the skin on my feet. Like I'll just scratch to the point where I can the pick and peel of the skin. But it's getting worse. So now from my heels to the middle of my feet, the skin is all cracked, broken, sore and bleeding. I will be in so much pain doing it and yes I self harm but I'm not doing it to hurt myself. I feel the need to do it and once I start I can't seem to stop and will do it for a good two hours at once. Now, I can't put pressure on my left foot. I just get urges to do it and it's like it helps to just get rid of anxiety. Or sometimes I'll think it will make me a better person. I don't know. I don't know how to explain it. But it's getting painful and I have no idea what this is about or what to do.

Also, when I've been really ill, I'd pull my hair out and this has started a bit again. Again I don't think it's to hurt myself. I don't know why. I just need to do it.

I have been told I have OCD tendencies because if compulsive thoughts to kill my pets and family which was one of the reasons I have been detained in the past few months. I also count the cracks in the pavement and I'm not allowed to stand in the cracks and things like this.

I don't know. I just know it hurts

Any help would be great. Thank you

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Not really sure. - October 3rd 2016, 04:13 PM

Hi Beautiful <3

I'm not sure with how much this will help, but I figured I would try and help anyways. When it comes to the feet picking, I was the exact same way. I used to do it all the time. I've finally been able to stop about a year ago. What I started doing was I was putting moisturizer on my feet. When that didn't help I would wear socks all the time. If that doesn't work, and this is a weird suggestion, but you could try taping your socks on? I know that sounds silly, but it might help.

Sometimes I would pull my hair out too. I noticed I was doing it more when I was either stressed or dealing with a lot of anxiety/panic attacks. My recommendation for this would be to try and put your hair in a pony tail, messy bun, pig tails, braids, or a normal bun. I always have my hair in a pony tail or messy bun so I don't pull my hair out. I only have my hair down when I want to take a picture of myself as I look a lot better with it down xD

Again, I hope this helped! Just a few things I've tried, however, I've never tried the tape idea.. That might have been my weirdest idea yet..

Let me know if I can help you any other way.

Brittany

You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Not really sure. - October 11th 2016, 03:59 AM

This sounds like it is part of the OCD. You find something wrong and you have to do it. I have had my feet crack normally and it is very painful. Unfortunately, I don't have very good advice for this situation. If you see a therapist, you could see what they think. I would recommend trying to see if you can get some creams or ointments for your feet though. I think it is more related to the OCD than something medical but it could turn into medical if you do not let your feet heal properly.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Not really sure. - October 11th 2016, 10:37 AM

It does sound like it could be OCD. I've been doing similar things, but I don't understand why either because I don't self-harm (although, these behaviours could fall under self-harming). For me, I pick/scratch at my skin when I feel anxious and restless.

What helps me is moisturiser, as treating the skin may help it to heal quicker so it will be less tempting to pick at it. Keeping nails short can also help. If you find yourself doing these things in your sleep, wearing cotton gloves to bed can minimise any scratching.

For the psychological side of things, perhaps try to find something to do to keep your hands busy so that you aren't picking at your skin? Or find something that has a similar picking/scratching action, but that isn't harmful? I'm thinking along the lines of scratching nail polish off, but I've never tried so can't say whether that would work or not.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I cant help, Im always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread