TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Asthma and infection - November 18th 2016, 08:14 PM

On Sunday I ended up in A&E having an asthma attack. At 4am Thursday I ended up back there again on a nebuliser with another attack. Got home around 6am and at 7am my mum's partner had to call 999 because I had an even worse one and was on a nebuliser for half an hour at home.

The paramedic said due to tests he took at home etc that he believed I have or am close to having septicemia and also that I was lacking oxygen due to my eyes being really dilated. He was a first responder so he requested for an urgent ambulance but cancelled it because I refused transport and hospital treatment and had to sign a form to say so. Then I had my asthma nurse at 9am who brought in the on call doctor who told me the same. Again, I told them the same; I was not going to hospital.

At this point I should probably make you aware I am just finishing my second lot of anti-biotics due to a UTI and chest infection and I am also now on about 10 steroids a day. I've been having to have blood tests too because they state that I have high level of infections in my body.

But Basically. I am doing what I can with out hospital admission (for IV drips). Inhalers, keeping chest open, wrapping up in the cold, taking my tablets etc etc. Has any one ever found anything else that helps them when they are really wheezy? I don't even know if there is anything but if you have any idea's I would be so grateful!

Thank you!

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Asthma and infection - November 18th 2016, 09:44 PM

Jessie:

A lung infection can go very badly within hours or days despite being on medication.

I know you don't want to go in hospital for treatment but are you able to go there for a few hours just to have IV fluids and antibiotics, then go back again later in the day, repeat it every day till you are better? I am not sure if that is possible. You could look into home care, where a nurse comes to you and gives you the IV.

What helped me with my asthma was a drug called, symbicort, I found it more helpful than the blue and orange ones. With symbicort you take it 2-3 times a day and you turn it and inhale it and turn it again and inhale. So you are inhaling about 2 puffs, 2-3 times a day. I am not sure if you've been on this, if not it's something to ask about with your doctor.

Lung infections may need more serious attention and IV fluids is one of the fastest ways to clear it up. You mentioned you have a blood infection, this only warrants more action to receive IV fluids and antibiotics. Ask them if you can go there to have the IV fluids and medication, go home, go back to repeat but if you get worse you most likely will need to stay overnight. I know this isn't what you want and I completely understand.

I hope my suggestions are helpful. Please get well Jessie

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Asthma and infection - November 18th 2016, 10:25 PM

I don't mean to be blunt but sometimes there comes a point where you need to go to the hospital especially when you've been giving medical advice suggestion so. If your medication isn't working and you have infections, it's serious.

I'm only saying this because I've seen my little sister in the paediatric intensive care unit with a machine breathing (ventilator) for her because of her asthma far to many times.
It's better to be safe and get treated before because it won't go away or improve without medical treatment. Sometimes that means it's necessary to go to the hospital.

When my sister is wheezy and but doesn't have the signs her doctor has told us warrant an emergency trip to the ER, some of the things we use are hot water bottle on her chest and her feet in warm water, humidifier, steam inhalation, in between her treatments.

Take care. I hope you get the help you need and that you feel better.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Asthma and infection - November 21st 2016, 06:13 AM

You're lacking oxygen because your eyes are really, really dilated... Really? I think that is pretty funny.

However, without knowing what tests he did it can be hard to tell how serious you are. I know in the US they have portable machines and one brand is called an iStat. The iStat has several different cartridges that can measure a lot of different things. EMTs here don't use them even though there has been huge talk about them mostly because the machines are expensive (I don't know why it's showing ** and you have to stay still for like 5-20 minutes.

Sepsis is a big topic right now in the US. We have a core measure and every provider is ordering a ton of tests based on protocol. In general, the first part is based on triage and it does with low/high temp, oxygen saturation level, mental status, WBC, heart rate, breathing rate, etc. If you trigger it by having two, they pretty much do a whole work up.

IV steroids seem to help sometimes but you're trying to avoid that. Duonebs (albuterol ipratropium bromide). If they think there is an infection, sometimes they will do two IV antibiotics which you're avoiding again.

Closed Thread