TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
undeleted3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Sleep and a good morning and nighttime routine - November 26th 2016, 05:50 AM

Hello. I need to a little bit if help. Im having a hard time getting into a routine for sleep and i was wondering if anyone has any tips on getting into a routine for sleep, but also in the morning as well. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Sleep and a good morning and nighttime routine - November 26th 2016, 01:19 PM

Hey,

I've been trying to get myself back into a sleep routine as well. What I've been trying to do is go to bed around the same time and then wake up at the same time. Also try not to take naps during the day as that might make it harder to sleep at night. Try drinking tea before you go to sleep as well. There's also some natural sleeping pills you can try (Melatonin and Valerian). Don't use them for a long period of time. I recommend a week of using them then try and ween off of them.

If you're still having trouble sleeping talk to your doctor about it and see if they could recommend anything else.

Good luck!
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Sleep and a good morning and nighttime routine - November 26th 2016, 09:57 PM

I have had some problems with that- half the time, the sun is coming up by the time I am getting to bed- and I go right back to sleep after a morning class. Melatonin could work - but you'd need to take it at the time you want to go to bed. You can also try benadryl- benadryl is actually extremely sedating if you aren't used to taking it- it will get you to want to sleep- and then you can stop taking it once you are in a regular routine.

Also don't procrastinate in the daytime- that is my problem. When I don't have to go anywhere, I sometimes just sit around and procrastinate actually doing things- even the "waking up " process of eating, etc. and then it is night time and I have just started to do the things that I want to do for the day, and I'll be eating dinner at 4am or something. Then I'll wake up at 5pm the next day if it is a weekend and it repeats itself.

Or you could also just pull an all nighter- and force yourself to stay awake the next day and go to bed early (like 9 am) and you will wake up early in the morning.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Re: Sleep and a good morning and nighttime routine - November 29th 2016, 05:57 AM

I'll just tell u my routine. Maybe it will help. It's good to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day like it's been said before. But I just wanted to warn u that be careful with the tea u drink if u drink any before bed bc some of it has caffeine which can keep u up late. And be sure to turn off electronics about an hour before bed as it can help sleep go better.
These r my routines:

Night=
7:30= take shower
Wash face, brush teeth
8:00= read
8:30= sleep

Morning (also these r just ideas but I do not recommend working out for two hours in the morning all at once. I have problems. I don't mean to be hypocritical.)

4:00am=workout
6am= get dressed
Brush teeth
Wash face, do makeup
Do hair
Work on music
Read
Go to school at 6:50

hope this helps.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Sleep and a good morning and nighttime routine - November 30th 2016, 12:13 PM

OK,
Here's what I'd recommend. Firstly, don't have caffeine at night. it stays in your body for about 16 hours so I'd say no coffee/energy drinks/anti sleep pills after 12pm.
Next, start gettting into bed at the time you want to sleep. Get your body used to the idea that it is time to rest. Using sleep music etc can help, but be warned, it is difficult to sleep without it after some time.
Exercising is great, but again, not just before going to bed. I personally work out 2-3 hours before bed time so I am tired by bed time.

For the morning, having a cup of coffee is fine, but it can potentially lead to a caffeine crash later. It varies, personally I have it on some days, but otherwise no. If you are a guy and need to shave, give it a few minutes. Don't shave first thing in the morning, since it hurts the skin. Rather brush your teeth, and maybe eat breakfast/use the loo before shaving.
Cold showers are something i like (not when its freezing obviously), because it wakes me up + reduces any redness on my face.
To wake up on time, use an alarm and decide how loud you need it.
Also, its normal to feel tired and sluggish the first few days of adjusting to a new schedule.
Hope this helps.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Sleep and a good morning and nighttime routine - December 1st 2016, 11:50 PM

I think that waking up and going to sleep at the same time is a really good idea. I tend to not do either of these things. However, my boyfriend wakes up at the same time every morning and it has helped him.

I also think that doing something to help you fall asleep could be helpful. I sometimes read before bed and it makes me tired. Another thing I do when I can't sleep is do breathing exercises. The breathing exercises calm my mind and help me fall asleep. Finding something relaxing to do before bed can be helpful.

I agree with the not drinking caffeine before bed. Personally, caffeine does nothing for me so I can drink it at night and not have an issue. But, I realize most people are not like that.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Sleep and a good morning and nighttime routine - December 7th 2016, 12:19 AM

One thing you can do is slowly turn off the lights around you. Your brain should get acclimated and understand that it is time to sleep soon. Someone I know has several lights and they slowly turn them off, then turn off the last one before laying down. If you develop a routine or a ritual your body will associate it with sleeping. I usually clean my face, brush my teeth, put some pajamas on, and will sometimes use different hand lotions which help me sleep.

I like the idea of trying to tire yourself out before you have to sleep too (though not right before you lay down). Breathing exercises, as mentioned, could be worth a try. I use breathing exercises when I can't fall asleep and they usually help a lot. You can also try a noise machine or look into downloading an app for it. I have one with twelve or so different sounds but I usually play the sound of running water because I find it relaxing.

Try to make yourself comfortable too. Are your clothes comfortable? Is the temperature okay? Are there any noises that annoy you and make it hard to go to sleep? You'll be able to sleep better if your surroundings suit your needs.

As for waking up, you could try to do stretches to move your body around. You could stretch your body or try different yoga poses, too. You could take a shower or set several alarms. You could even set them across the room so you have to get up to turn them off.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread