TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thelonelyqueer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Eliot

Question menstrual cycle troubles..?? :( - December 8th 2016, 05:18 PM

I wasn't sure where I should post this so I decided to just post it here and hopefully thats okay, lol. Well, I have had problems with my period since I got it at age 11. It was extremely heavy, like i'd fill 7 to 8 pads a DAY and i would be in bed all day from how bad my period cramps were... oh and also these periods would happen every 2-3 weeks and last about 5-8 days at a time!! UGH. So, shortly after I had gotten my period for the first time my mom took me to the doctor to see if there was anything to do to help calm it down. I was put on the pill and I have probably used 4 different pills over the years and they all either stopped working or did nothing. So now I am 16 years old, I am transgender and have pretty bad gender dysphoria which creates emotional stress around "that time of the month". I really want my period to be gone not just because its heavy but because of course it stresses me out since I do not want to be in a female's body. So, I was wondering suggestions of what to do. I am currently on the depo shot and had my first shot around november and ever since i got my shot I have had my period. Its not heavy, but its painful and nonstop. My doctor said spotting is normal, but this seems to be a lot more than spotting. I maybe would use 2 or 3 pads a day if I even wear one (sometimes its light sometimes its not??... i know it sounds gross to not wear a pad when ur bleeding but meh.../: oh well..) and I know thats probably pretty light but its been going on for a month or so... and that doesn't seem right to me, idk. I wanna go to the doctor about it but I do NOT want to have to do that implant thing which probably would be my only choice. In all honesty, I want to get that surgery that stops your period all together because of how much it all stresses me out and how it will not calm down or become normal at all... I don't know. Do they even do that surgery on teenagers? My mom told me they try to have people not do that surgery unless its absolutely necessary or if they're an adult (not a teenager, not 16..) but like its a real stressor for me and its really painful. I don't know what to do. I need to know if you guys think it is possible to get that procedure done when you're only 16 and if so could it be covered by gateway? I don't know.. its really stressful and painful and I feel like thats the only choice left. I know I could start taking testosterone (I'm FTM transgender) and that would eventually stop my period entirely but that is very hard to get onto especially when you have any sort of mental health issues.. sometimes they won't even give it to you if you have depression, idk. Sooooo if someone can please let me know about all this that would be great. Thank you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: menstrual cycle troubles..?? :( - December 11th 2016, 11:38 AM

Hey there,

Sorry to hear your periods are causing a lot of stress, not only physically but emotionally too with your gender dysphoria.

I think the best thing for you to do is to talk with your doctor. Let them know everything- how heavy and painful you periods were when you started, all the different types of birth control you've used, and the fact that you are transgender and have gender dysphoria, more so around the time of your period.

What surgery were you thinking of? Was it a hysterectomy? Or are you thinking more along the long lines of hormone therapy? Either way, it would be good to discuss this with your doctor. It's likely that you'll have to be assessed before either going through either of these options, but they should take your views into consideration. I'm not sure where you are, or how it works where you live, but with gender dysphoria in the UK there are also options for counselling and mental health support, so perhaps that's something you could look into?

Wish I could be of more help, and I hope others can offer their support too.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thelonelyqueer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Eliot

Re: menstrual cycle troubles..?? :( - December 13th 2016, 05:07 PM

Hey. I meant the hysterectomy. and i am in the USA and i had a gender therapist/counslor/whatever it would be called but at the same time i was having sessions with her i also was having trauma therapy, family based, another therapist all at the same time so it was a lot for me..like i literally had no free time. soo I've held off on the gender therapy for a little while until I get my trauma therapy and family based therapy finished. Do you think if I had mentioned the surgery to my doctor she would considerate? because it IS a huge stressor for me..and recently I've been on the depo shot and honestly all it has done if anything is make it more irregular,painful,heavy,etc. I am assuming a hysterectomy is what I'm thinking of? Its a surgery where I am assuming they take out your female organs or something to stop the period all together. Idk. I am only 16 and have gateway insurance so idk if they would cover surgery or not.. I have never had surgery before or ever had it recommened so i have no idea lol. i guess i couldhave my mom schedule an appointment with my doctor because as crazy as it sounds to WANT surgery I do want it if it is possible. thank you for the response and ill keep this thread updated xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Hey there,

Sorry to hear your periods are causing a lot of stress, not only physically but emotionally too with your gender dysphoria.

I think the best thing for you to do is to talk with your doctor. Let them know everything- how heavy and painful you periods were when you started, all the different types of birth control you've used, and the fact that you are transgender and have gender dysphoria, more so around the time of your period.

What surgery were you thinking of? Was it a hysterectomy? Or are you thinking more along the long lines of hormone therapy? Either way, it would be good to discuss this with your doctor. It's likely that you'll have to be assessed before either going through either of these options, but they should take your views into consideration. I'm not sure where you are, or how it works where you live, but with gender dysphoria in the UK there are also options for counselling and mental health support, so perhaps that's something you could look into?

Wish I could be of more help, and I hope others can offer their support too.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: menstrual cycle troubles..?? :( - December 13th 2016, 08:58 PM

It's totally understandable that you would've held off the gender therapy, given that you were seeing many other therapists too!

A doctor should listen to all concerns, and since you've had irregular and heavy periods, tried alternatives and get dysphoria, it is a good case for a hysterectomy. That said, I don't know if there are age limits, as they would need to make sure you are certain about going through with it as you can't change your mind later on.

I don't know much about insurance, so I'm assuming you'll either have to ask your insurance company about the things that they cover, or you could ask your mom, and see if she knows. It would be good if you could get an appointment with your doctor...even if they don't allow the surgery, they may be able to think of other alternatives to help you.

Definitely keep us updated if it helps

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread