TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Fibromyalgia - February 3rd 2017, 10:49 AM

I've been struggling with fibromyalgia for ages and I was wondering if there was anyone on here who has the same illness? What do you do when you're going through a tough time? Right now I'm in loads of pain and painkillers aren't working at all. I really want to cry but it's so so so painful. It's in my shoulders, all through my legs, hips, wrist, pretty much everywhere.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Fibromyalgia - February 3rd 2017, 11:57 PM

Fibromyalgia is really painful. I'm sorry you're struggling so much with it.

I have it. I was diagnosed nearly four years ago now. When I have a tough time with it, I sometimes take a nap to numb the pain. That, and I get pretty exhausted because of it. Sometimes if I nap too long I wake up stiff, so I take a short nap.

Heat tends to help my pain so I'll take a warm or hot bath with some kind of aches and pains bath salt, body wash, or both. I also have different creams and balms, most of which contain menthol. A lot of people shy away from it because of the smell but it works temporarily.

I also have a heated blanket for the winter. They can be expensive but could be worth the investment if the heat helps you. If you can't get one for your bed, you can look into a heated throw. Those are less expensive and work just as well.

I have a lot of body wraps that either have beads or gels in them and they can be heated in the microwave or put in the freezer. I usually microwave them at night. I have a neck one, a few back ones, and I have an aromatherapy stuffed animal for both the aching and the mental health stuff.

It may be worth investing in some arthritis compression items or even some compression clothing. For instance, if you get pain in your ankles, you could get compression socks or even ones that are looser so you can sleep in them.

When it comes to fibromyalgia, everyone is different but there are a few things I've learned.

One would be to know what helps you. Some people like heat, others prefer cold. Some people need a mix of both or others need something different entirely. Find what helps you, even if it's only in the slightest. And try to remain as open minded as possible. Anything that has the potential to help is worth a try.

Two, is to kind of plan things out. I know there is no official causes for fibromyalgia but I strongly believe mine is from my past and my mental health. By plan things out, I mean, try to figure out what, if anything, causes flare-ups and then treat your pain before it starts. For instance, a bad day, lack of sleep, or pushing myself too hard can cause pain. If anything negative happens I try to do all the stuff I usually would do with pain, but before the pain arrives.

Three is to push yourself but know your limits. For example, I usually can only last three to four hours after I wake up with my energy or lack thereof. I may push myself to do x, but I won't go past y.

If you are interested in the different companies of things I've tried (like body washes, creams, etc) let me know and I'll gather my stuff and write a list up for you.

The pain is really awful though so I hope you're doing okay.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread