TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Favorite menstrual products? - March 6th 2017, 09:01 PM

Do you have favorite pads/tampons or liners? My mom and I were just discussing this the other day and I've been wondering what your favorites are (if any).

I rarely ever use pads, but when I used them my favorite was Always Infinity. I have a few Always and some U by Kotex ones currently but I mostly use those as additional protection with tampons. Any pads are fine for me.

I will use pretty much any kind of tampon with the exception of Playtex. I especially like Tampax Pearl, though I sometimes have difficulty with their applicators. I also like U by Kotex Click or Sleeks. If your body has ever rejected tampons, try Sleeks. For tampons with a heavier absorbancy I usually use store brand ones because they are longer (name brand are thicker) and easier for me to insert. But when it comes to pads or tampons I'll use whatever.

I am extremely picky about liners though because I've had some bad experiences with them. I use them daily so I feel cleaner. Some of them are supposed to be "thin" but I have found that they're too thin and ineffective for me. I use Always Radiant liners. They are well made for my body. I also really like Kotex Lightdays (in long). I use them under tampons, with body memories, or right before (and after my period). Especially now because my period is changing on me. They are really hard to find and I am actually going to start ordering them online.

Do you use menstrual wipes? I shower more often with my period because I feel dirty, though that is from my abuse. I use them sometimes though. Recently on Amazon I found these bags I really like. You wrap your used products and then put them in the bag. I feel less self-conscious that way. Edit: I thought of something else. Therma Care makes menstrual heating pads you stick inside your underwear for cramps. They get a little pricey so I usually get them when they're on sale but they are really nice if I have to go out and can't microwave a heating pad for cramps.

Sorry this is long! Anyways, what are your favorite menstrual products if you have any?

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 6th 2017, 09:52 PM

I've only ever used pads, and it's only been an issue twice in the 17 years I've had a period. I'm not too picky, I like name brands better, but I rarely use them. The only brand I don't use is Kotex because I need pads with wings and they use velcro, rather than adhesive for the wings (the pads themselves are sticky) that doesn't stick to itself, so the velcro was hurting me.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kav

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 7th 2017, 12:05 AM

Tampons and I don't agree. I have always used pads and I have never had a problem. I usually have light periods throughout except sometimes on my first day, so pads have always worked fine for me.

I am fussy when it comes to pads. I need Ultrathin overnight pads, antibacterial pads with wings and sometimes those with side walls. Since these are available in only 2 name brands, where I live, I always buy it in a bulk because I don't want to risk not having these specific pads when I am on my period. I won't name them or link them because I have a feeling one is a local brand.

I have always used Carefree ultrathin panty liners. Pantyliners were rare here until a few years back, maybe because I live in a fairly small town. The first couple of brands that I bought were horrible. I sometimes go for other types of panty liners but not other brands. I don't use pantyliners daily, I usually use them when I am traveling and away from home.

I have heard of the Therma care heating pads but I don't get them here. I am thinking of getting them online but they are actually pricey and add shipping charges, I can't afford it.

Every time I look up menstrual products online, I get these reusable pads with cute designs and they are so tempting. This is so hard to resist.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 7th 2017, 01:38 AM

I only use pads because my periods are super light and only last a few days so I'm not a tampon fan. I like the natracare ultra pads (regular) for during the day and organyc pads at night. That's what my mum always buys and the few times I have used always, I got itchy or a rash and I've never had the issue with what I usually use. I have sensitive skin though.

Another option instead of those therma care heating pads are little hottie hand warmers. The Costco where I live sells them in packs of 40 (but there are two heat packs in each so really there's 80 packs) for less than 15 dollars. My sister uses them instead of the therma care because they're impossible to find locally and they bugged her (the adhesive sticky part and they didn't fit her right). Kav, I can send you a few if you want to try them.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 7th 2017, 06:07 AM

I can usually get away with just pads. My favorite is Always Maxi. I usually use the extra heavy overnight ones with wings. I only use tampons (because of rejection) if I bleed through several pads within 30-45 minutes. If that's the case, my favorite is the Kotex Click variety because the round grip on the barrel is easier for me to hold. I found that the flat grip that Tampax has is very hard to keep a firm grip on, oddly enough. I wear pantiliners daily just for hygiene purposes. For that I use Always Dailies Xtra Protection with odor-lock, which are also extra long.

I tend to be allergic to things that are scented, so I avoid those.

This isn't menstrual related, but is still related to the under bits. I used to use Vagisil feminine wash regularly until my GYN told me to stop using it after I had severe bacterial vaginosis (that was likely a mild infection for a very long time). She told me that feminine washes also remove the good bacteria which is therefore counterproductive and could just prolong (or promote) the infection. The more you know, I guess.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 7th 2017, 11:43 AM

I was never introduced to tampons so I've never tried them, but stick to pads (pun not intended ) instead. I use Always Ultra with Wings. I prefer the winged version since it stays in one place than the one without wings, for me anyway.

I did not know there were such thing as menstrual wipes I might look into them now, since they sound handy. I do love the scented bags though!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 7th 2017, 11:21 PM

When I had my period I would you Tampax sport I think. But I lost my period like 6 months ago so I don't really remember what I use.

I hate pads I will never go back to those.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 9th 2017, 12:38 AM

Thanks to the implant i don't normally get a period anymore or when I do it is super light so I'm able to use Always Radiant pads a lot. If not I'll use Always maxi pads, either the huge purple wrapper overnight ones for sleeping, the green wrapper ones for a mild to moderate flow, or the orange wrapper ones for a moderate flow.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 10th 2017, 01:40 AM

I like menstrual cups. I work 12 hour shifts in an emergency room as a nurse and it helps. Tampons could have the risk of bleeding through and pads just don't always work as well.

When I was younger, I never heard of menstrual cups so I used tampons when I was sixteen. I liked them better than pads.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 10th 2017, 11:28 AM

I've been using pads for a long time and they're the best for me I guess. I've never really had a problem of pads not being enough since there is a wide choice of them in my shops. I usually have a few different packs at home and pick the thicker/thinner ones accordingly to the situation. Wings are important for me, as I tend to feel a bit inconvenient without them.
I don't pay attention to scent while choosing pads, although I like pleasant aromas

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 10th 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Wings are important for me, as I tend to feel a bit inconvenient without them.
Same. It feels like the pad shifts if I don't have wings. The wings secure it in place.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Favorite menstrual products? - March 13th 2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelola View Post
I like menstrual cups. I work 12 hour shifts in an emergency room as a nurse and it helps. Tampons could have the risk of bleeding through and pads just don't always work as well.

When I was younger, I never heard of menstrual cups so I used tampons when I was sixteen. I liked them better than pads.
I always use tampons.
However, I also work 12 hour shifts in a hospital, so I have actually started switching to a cup as well. I only got to try it a bit, but plan to use it more next month.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread