TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

Question. - June 1st 2017, 08:48 PM

So, I have been drinking coffee for about 3 months and I love it. And you see my mom doesn't like me drinking it, she says that I'm too young. I don't think 14 is to young to drink coffee.
So my question is, how old were you when you started drinking coffee?

Last edited by arepo; June 2nd 2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Moving thread to the General Health forum. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Question. - June 1st 2017, 08:53 PM

I think 14 is a bit young to drink coffee. One cup a week might be enough at that age, but no more.

I began to drink coffee when I was about 22 or 23.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Question. - June 1st 2017, 09:05 PM

I do think 14 might be a bit young to start drinking coffee. I started drinking it when I was 16, I believe.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Question. - June 1st 2017, 10:20 PM

I agree that 14 is rather young. I'm 16 but I drink it as rarely as possible. Remember that it's easy to get addicted and it's very unhealthy, particularly at that age.

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Question. - June 2nd 2017, 12:12 AM

I agree 14 is a bit young. I started drinking coffee like a small one every now and then at 16 and regularly at 18.
14, just stick to like choccie milk and stuff

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Question. - June 2nd 2017, 01:08 AM

I don't actually drink coffee and I'm 27.
I think my brother started when he was 15?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Question. - June 2nd 2017, 02:00 AM

I don't like coffee but my little sister has had a cup if she needs to focus and doesn't want to medicate herself (ie if we're going shopping or something) from about starting at about 13/14.
However, this is something that was discussed with her doctor and the doctor recommended her doing this instead of medication in some scenarios.

Maybe ask your mum why she doesn't want you drinking it but also talk to your doctor.

Last edited by Lexify.; June 2nd 2017 at 03:51 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Question. - June 2nd 2017, 02:10 AM

Hey, London!

Personally my mom would allow me to have sips of coffee with a biscuit out of her cup starting when I was about 3. Kind of like dipping a cookie in milk, but in coffee instead. I've always loved the taste of coffee but I'm pretty sensitive to the effects of caffeine, so whenever I drink it I make sure it's decaf. For that reason I also avoid other caffeinated beverages.

I think the first question to ask yourself is - why are you drinking coffee? Is it for the caffeine content and its effects or for the taste? I think most people would be concerned about someone taking in that much caffeine at your age because it can have some not so great effects. It's not too great for anyone, honestly.

Perhaps you can ask your mom why she doesn't want you to drink it, aside from your age. If she says it's because of the caffeine and you drink it for the flavor, then perhaps suggest only drinking decaf. If it's for the caffeine content, then I'd suggest not drinking it at all or at least not in excess. If you're having problems staying awake or focusing there could be some health issues going on that should be addressed instead of masking them with caffeinated beverages.

Maybe you could have an open or at least calm conversation with your mom. Try to avoid the urge to yell or stomp off if she doesn't agree (I know it's hard when you want to, though). If she still says no, then just drop the subject for awhile and maybe bring it up later on down the road. It's not worth drinking it anyways and then possibly getting yelled at or grounded for. Coffee and caffeine aren't all they're cracked up to be, anyways.

While caffeine is found in many things like coffee, tea, chocolate, some over-the-counter medications, and many other things - addiction to it is a problem for a lot of people. I'm not saying caffeine is this very super dangerous drug or anything, but it is technically classified as a drug because of the effects it has on your central nervous system (the alertness you feel). You can also have withdrawals from caffeine when it is drank, eaten, or taken in excess. Withdrawals from it will only make you want to drink/eat/take more to make the withdrawal symptoms stop. It's not a fun thing to experience.

Like I said before, if you're having trouble staying awake or focusing, then perhaps ask if you can see a doctor about it. They would be able to address those issues and give you specific advice or treatment to help you. If you just like the taste, then ask if you can drink decaf.

Best of luck.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Last edited by arepo; June 2nd 2017 at 02:37 AM. Reason: don't judge me

(#9 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Question. - June 2nd 2017, 07:45 AM

caffiene is in lots of different types of soda.

I learned to stay away from caffiene altogether because it lasts so long in my body. A little in the morning will keep me from sleeping well at night. So I need more the next morning...

which kept me from sleeping well at night...

and it spiralled...

until I stopped it altogether.

Then I slept well at night, and woke up refreshed in the morning.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

Re: Question. - June 2nd 2017, 03:30 PM

Thank you all for your help with this. I will try to talk to my mom.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Question. - June 3rd 2017, 12:01 AM

I honestly don't think you are too young to drink coffee. Yes coffee has caffeine in it but so do most sodas. Plus you are fourteen years old so I have a feeling you drink energy drinks(I may be wrong about this) But energy drinks have more caffeine in it then a cup or two of coffee.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#12 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Question. - June 3rd 2017, 09:12 PM

I don't really see anything wrong with someone your age drinking caffeine. I kind of feel like you are probably at an age where you might need caffeine periodically (to get energy to study etc). I know I started drinking coffee at an early age and before that I was drinking soda and most soda has caffeine unless you go out of your way to buy the kind that is caffeine free.

However, there are a lot of people out there who have this perception that you need to be a certain age to drink coffee. I would say if you aren't drinking coffee for the caffeine you should see if you can make a compromise with your mom and get some decaf coffee. It taste the same as regular coffee so it won't be like you are missing anything.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Question. - June 4th 2017, 02:48 PM

For me, I hated the taste of coffee when I was fourteen. It was bitter and nasty. I drank tea from the time I was probably four or five until 21 or 22. Tea was always bland to me, but I added plentiful sugar and milk to it. The one year I went to university, I began to drink coffee instead of tea. At first, I would put in probably five or six packets of sugar and minimal milk - I'm lactose intolerant - and it was okay-ish. I had proper coffee for the first time when I went to Europe a few weeks after term ended and it was really good!

You should drink something because you like it, not to use it as an energy boost. I would suggest finding other activities to keep your metabolism going throughout the day. But if you really want to drink coffee and not be scared off, try adding the extras you do like - milk, cream, sugar, etc.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Question. - June 5th 2017, 09:46 PM

I was 11 years old

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Question. - June 7th 2017, 06:48 PM

I drank my first cup a few weeks ago (didn't have much of a choice) and I don't think I will drink it again, but thats only since I really don't like the tast.
But I don't think 14 is to young for a cup or two. It wouldn't be so good if you drank lots of coffee but a cup won't hurt and it's better than drinking energy drinks.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread