TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Sleep Study - June 17th 2017, 02:22 AM

My doctor is referring me to have a sleep study at one of the hospitals in my area. I have no idea what to expect at all. I know I'll be there overnight and them monitoring me while I sleep (to me it's a bit creepy) but I need to figure out what is wrong with me.

I am getting the test done cause my sleep isn't providing me with any rest in the morning. I am knocked out on public transit napping, wanting to lay in the grass for a nap, or passing out. I've mentioned my symptoms and other ones. I am just frustrated.

As much as I want this test because it will benefit me in many different ways, but the thought of someone monitoring me while I sleep is a bit, creepy. Do they literally sit there behind a glass window and watch you sleep or something? I mean it's a sleep study they're suppose to watch you and the monitors for heart rates, brain activity and other things.

The feeling of being watched feels, weird to me.

Has anyone gotten this test done before? What was it like? Was it okay? Did it help your doctor to know what's going on?

Do they actually watch... you while you sleep?

Thank you.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Sleep Study - June 17th 2017, 03:14 AM

I haven't had one, but my mom's friend did. They leave you alone in the room, but there is at least one camera (not anywhere creepy) You're hooked up to monitors that send the information (brain activity and vitals) and the video feed to equipment in another room and that's what they're looking at. The camera is there so they can see both your reactions and the other stuff together. They don't like stand there and stare at you. I don't even know if they stand there and watch all night (I doubt it), They will probably wake you up in the morning, but otherwise would only go in if there was some kind of emergency. Then once it's over the doctor looks at everything and they hopefully figure out what's wrong.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Sleep Study - June 17th 2017, 04:40 AM

My boyfriend has done two sleep studies and he said they were easy. You are left alone in a room and they watch you on cameras all night long. He said the most annoying thing was being hooked up to everything and trying to get comfortable.

I know that my boyfriend had to get two sleep studies because his insurance required it. The second one was basically done to kind of test how he did with the sleep apnea machine and it measured to see if it helped him sleep better and breath easier.

He has been approved for a sleep apnea machine and when he was using it it did seem to help.

They do usually require you to wake up really early in the morning though. Like 5:30am or 6am so depending on your transportation situation (and if the one you went to would make you wake up early) you might need to find a ride. The buses here don't start running till about 7:30am.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Sleep Study - June 17th 2017, 08:52 PM

I had a sleep study last year, mine consisted of a polysomnography (the overnight study, or PSG) and the multiple sleep latency test (a nap study the following day, or MSLT). A PSG is normally used to find something like sleep apnea or restless leg syndrome, etc. The MSLT is normally used to find things like narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia (IH).

My overnight study started with me getting there around 7 or 8pm, I was able to bring my own pillow and blanket. I definitely recommend asking if you can bring your own things from home, it can make going to sleep easier. I was in a fairly small room; it had no windows, a bed (full size I think), one of those old TVs (with decent cable), an arm chair, a small table, and a bathroom. There was one camera in the corner of the ceiling, but it wasn't super obvious it was a camera and it didn't have any blinking lights or anything so it didn't bother me. The tech came in and hooked me up to all the wires which took probably 45 minutes. They use some glue stuff to get them to stick to your head, I had the option of washing it out before I left or waiting until I got home. Hot water and shampooing twice got it out easily. Once I was hooked up and actually in bed the tech spoke to me via intercom and I had to test a bunch of things. She asked me to do things like blink 3 times, look up, look down, hold my breathe, etc.

If I had to go to the bathroom at night, I just had to say something out loud and she'd come in and unhook me from the bed. There was a microphone either on the wires or the machines near the bed or something, they use it mostly to hear if you snore. As for them watching you on the camera, I really doubt they sit watching all night. They likely have multiple people to watch, and I'd guess they're probably on Facebook or something and just occasionally look over. In the morning I was woken up via the intercom around 6am.

I'm not sure if you're also doing an MSLT so I'll just give a quick summary of my experience. I was awake after my PSG for around an hour and a half, I was able to watch tv or use my laptop or anything I brought. I just couldn't be in the bed, and I wasn't allowed to sleep. Then I had to do a quick wire check with the eye moving part, and then I took a 20 minute nap. The new tech would wake me up via intercom, and I'd have around 1.5-2 hours just doing other things. Normally you do this for 5 naps, but they'll sometimes send people home after 4 if they have everything they need. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy a couple weeks after my test, after being exhausted for 5+ years.

It can be really stressful to not know why you're so tired, and I know how awful being tired can feel. The most important thing to remember is that a sleep study can confirm sleep disorders but it also can't completely rule out some disorders. So if your study doesn't give you any answers, please don't get discouraged. If you're only having the overnight study and it doesn't show anything, I highly recommend asking for the MSLT if it's not suggested. There's also some drugs that can interfere with a sleep study, they'll sometimes have people wean off anti-depressants a few weeks before a sleep study because they can interfere with REM sleep. I would also avoid things like caffeine the day of the study, and I made sure I didn't sleep in late so I'd be able to fall asleep that night.

I hope it goes well, and I hope you find out why you're so tired!

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread