TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Is not having mental images....a thing? - July 4th 2017, 08:09 AM

I wasn't sure where this fit best, but feel free to scoot it somewhere else if need be.

Yesterday when I was talking to my mother we got on the topic of visualizing things in your mind. She must have picked up on my facial expression because she asked why I was confused.

I've never been able to vividly visualize anything in my mind. The closest I get to visualizing something is kind of like looking through a window with that privacy film over it. I kind of always thought it was normal to 'see' things with words and ideas. I'll know what something or someone looks like by remembering characteristics, but I can't visualize it. I know my mother has gray hair, wears glasses, is tall, of an average weight, and wears her hair up 90% of the time. Yet I can't see a visual representation of it.

This also carries over into dreams and PTSD flashbacks. If it's not a vague image then it's my mind describing the dream/flashback to me with words and ideas instead of drawing a picture.

I've always kind of assumed this was the norm. Mostly wondering if other people experience this.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Is not having mental images....a thing? - July 4th 2017, 08:12 AM

I visualise things in my mind, actually a lot of the time I can visualise it but if you asked me for specifics I wouldn't be able to give you many. It's like when I read books, I read and have the whole thing basically playing in my brain like a movie. I do have a photographic memory though and that's the only way I remember things, so some of me and my visualising is from that.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is not having mental images....a thing? - July 4th 2017, 08:38 AM

Do you mean like this?
https://themighty.com/2017/06/my-life-with-aphantasia/

If so, its definitely a thing, but I don't know how common it is.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Is not having mental images....a thing? - July 4th 2017, 02:21 PM

It is confusing with me because I seem to be a visual learner and very visual in some ways and I'm probably a visual learner (though I'd say multi modal fits better) but very not visual in other ways.
I believe for me, it has declined over the years. As in I used to have the ability but I didn't use it as much.
When I did EMDR, during the session I was meant to visualize a safe place. I chose a forest but I couldn't visualize it. My therapist pulled out a picture of a forest from Google onto her phone and had me look at it and she prompted me to talk about what I'm doing there, what I'm seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling. I didn't experience it. It was more of a cognitive experience. I said what I knew happens in a forest. I haven't been to a forest that much though. When I chose a garden, it was easier because that was a place I had built on for a long time and had some answers already as if I've been there before because I've "visited" it in my head many times. Still, I have more of a movie-moving images that involve action, rather than a strong visual. It almost doesn't matter there's not a strong visual because i "feel" it tactile and emotionally. It is like a theatrical performance where I'm one of the actors so I'm not focused on the visual details unless it pertains. I mean usually I'm the actor but sometimes I get different perspectives like watching it happen but not participating etc

(#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is not having mental images....a thing? - July 10th 2017, 06:16 PM

Thank you for all the input, guys! Glad to know it's at least something that's been recognized, despite not being studied much yet. I don't really have any other questions, but this can stay open in case anyone else has anymore thoughts.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Closed Thread