TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

sleep lacking - July 5th 2017, 03:29 PM

I know i have a seperate thread about waking up somewhere else on the forums, but this is a seperate matter.

See, the last couple of nights, sleep has been bad. Before, i would sometimes have a bad nights sleep, but make up for it the next night. Now, it's been two nights in a row. I've never had it like this before. I had two hours of sleep and last night, I got three hours (in two 90 minutes segments). Is there anything to worry about?

I do know bad dreams were the cause of me waking up on both nights.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: sleep lacking - July 6th 2017, 09:48 PM

Hey there,

Since you've only been experiencing this for a couple of days, I don't think it's anything you need to worry about. It's normal to go through periods where it's a little harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Are you experiencing more stress than usual? Feelings of stress and/or anxiety can prevent sleep from coming as easily, as it becomes more difficult to shut your brain off and put it in "sleep mode". Another potential cause for your sudden difficulties sleeping is technology. The blue lights emitted from your phone, laptop, or television can keep the brain stimulated, even if what you're watching is relaxing. Try shutting technology down at least an hour before you go to sleep and see if that helps the situation.

If the problem persists over the next few weeks, you can always go to your doctor to see if there might be anything that he can prescribe or natural remedies he can suggest on the off chance that these sleep difficulties turn into a more prevalent insomnia. However, this is probably only temporary and you'll (hopefully) be back to a normal sleeping schedule in no time.

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: sleep lacking - July 7th 2017, 02:53 PM

i did compensate for lost sleep on night three and during the day a bit too then i was "balanced" again in sleep, you could say.

i have known myself to watch film and tv just before bed but not on those nights. The second really was a pain, telling myself id go to bed early to make up for sleep so i went at 9 and spending over 4 hours trying. You'd think my system would be more then keen to shut down

i will have to see what the next two nights are like in particular

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: sleep lacking - July 8th 2017, 03:34 PM

I'm wondering if trying to catch up on sleep may be making things worse?

I'm not sure of what your regular bedtime is, but going to bed a few hours earlier (unless you are really tired and already falling asleep) might not do much.

If you find yourself staying up late, then it may be better to slowly go to bed earlier each night/week. For example, if you stay up until 12pm or later and want to go to bed at 11pm, try going to bed 5 minutes earlier everyday and see if that helps. Changes to sleeping patterns can take a while to develop and it may be easier on you to slowly ease yourself into a new pattern rather than try going to bed several hours earlier and expecting to catch up on sleep.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread