TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Asthma? - August 2nd 2017, 03:58 AM

I've had this awful cough for more than a month now and not just a clearing-the-throat kind of cough, more like a cough that has me coughing consistently throughout the day every day once or twice a day having a coughing fit so bad that I end up throwing up. At first they thought I was sick so I was given a new inhaler and told to come back if my body doesn't fight it off itself since they thought it was a viral respiratory infection. So I went back to the doctors 2 weeks later and they said my asthma might be acting up and I might have seasonal allergies now (which I've never had) and the chest x-ray came up clear. I was given a steroid inhaler and a tapering course of steroids. Then I called back after 2 more weeks and was given a 4 day antibiotic treatment. A week after finishing it I went to the hospital because I was having no luck and was given a breathing treatment and another chest x-ray; which came up clear yet again, and prescribed a 4 day steroid treatment and a 10 day antibiotic treatment and promethazine-codine (which did not help in the slightest). Nothing is working. I know that none of you are licensed physicians but I'm absolutely at my wits end. I can't stay asleep for very long, I'm wheezing and gasping for air and I can't take deep breaths without ending up in a coughing fit. I don't understand it. I really need answers or new suggestions. I seriously can't do this anymore it's draining me physically. Has anyone else experienced a cough like this?? I'm sorry it's so long, I just wanted to get all the details in because seriously I need help!

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Asthma? - August 2nd 2017, 07:53 AM

I experienced this twice, once when I first got my asthma diagnosis, and another when I got pneumonia. If the x-rays are clear, then it can't be pneumonia. I've actually been having a strange cough recently that has tampered with my sleep and daily living as well, but my doctor gave me more steroid inhalers and a regular inhaler plus allergy meds. I think since they said it's seasonal allergies (which anyone can get even if they never had them before) you should try some allergy meds and take your inhalers as directed. My cough went down pretty well to where I don't cough as much or hard as I did before. Try it out and if it doesn't work, ask for another x-ray to make sure it's not pneumonia developing and they don't see it yet.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Asthma? - August 2nd 2017, 12:53 PM

I've experienced a cough like that either during or after an illness, and when I was a child, and my asthma was at it's worst.

Are the inhalers helping at all? I'm not sure about you, but I was given a 'reliever' inhaler (blue, salbutamol) and a steroid inhaler (brown, beclomethasone). The reliever inhaler I could take whenever I felt the symptoms flare up, even at night if I woke up feeling tight chested. I was also advised to monitor my asthma with a peak flow meter (available at most drug stores), so that it was easier to figure out if the inhalers were working.

If nothing is coming up with x-rays and you have no other symptoms, then it may be asthma with allergies. I'm not too sure what to suggest other than keep taking the inhalers, look into cough or allergy medication and keep seeing your doctor if your cough doesn't seem to be getting better.

Sorry you are having to go through this, but hope you get better soon!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Asthma? - August 2nd 2017, 01:20 PM

When it first started happening the inhalers were working, yes. But I feel like they aren't doing much now which is really frustrating because I'm using both the red abuterol and orange Flovent. Maybe I need to get a nebulizer or try a different kind of inhaler?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Asthma? - August 2nd 2017, 05:05 PM

You could try using a spacer to help make sure you are getting all of the medication into your lungs. You could also try different inhalers, and I may be wrong, but the steroid may also come in tablet form which might be worth looking into. Otherwise, a nebulizer could help more seeing as you can't take deep breaths at the moment.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Asthma? - August 5th 2017, 06:39 AM

I used to suffer from asthma really badly. There were times when I would develop a cough that no type of medication would relieve. The doctors would end up prescribing predizone which was absolute hell but it usually cleared it all up by the time I finished taking all the predizone.

That being said, doctors tend to avoid predizone and I think treatment has gotten better so they might not ever prescribe that any more? Not entirely certain since I haven't had a really bad flare up in years.

That being said, I would suggest looking into a nebulizer. The medication that they use for that, while technically the same, is supposed to be a tad bit stronger and it gets into the lungs better.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Asthma? - August 6th 2017, 12:17 AM

If by predizone you mean predisone then yes I've already been prescribed that medication twice and it has not helped in the slightest. I might just have to make an appointment with an asthma doctor to get the medication for a nebulizer.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Asthma? - August 7th 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallonRose View Post
If by predizone you mean predisone then yes I've already been prescribed that medication twice and it has not helped in the slightest. I might just have to make an appointment with an asthma doctor to get the medication for a nebulizer.

I mean, if you've already used predisone then I think the only thing they can do is give you the stuff for the nebulizer. There have been a few times over the course of my asthma where nothing was working and they prescribed me medication through the nebulizer and it did help me breath easier. I don't recall how they got my asthma under control though. I know a few times I was hospitalized but those times I was pretty young and I think they did it because of my age more than anything else.

I do think that there are a few different medications they can prescribe for the nebulizer. I know at one point I was taking albuterol and than something else that was stronger. This was so long ago though that I don't remember the name of the medication.

Do you have an ear, nose and throat doctor? I used to have one because I would get asthma so badly and they would be able to work with me better than a general practitioner. The medication regime they put me on did not always work but they tended to have better success treating my asthma which is why my pediatrician wanted me to see him.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread