TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Ocd face washing - October 25th 2017, 11:29 PM

Hi for the last 2 days I have had trouble with washing my face I have been washing it maybe 3-9 times each day. My ocd things often stop after like a day or 2 so I probably won't carry this on anymore. My brain will find something else to obsesse over.

My question.

Would this do much damage to the face in terms of maybe dry skin? I know our water at home is quite hard but I regularly apply face cream and stuff to keep my skin feeling soft.

I did notice a little redness but that could be anything I've just returned from a hot vacation in Orlando florida.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Ocd face washing - October 26th 2017, 01:29 PM

Hey,

Washing your face that often can cause your skin to dry out. However, if you only end up doing it for two days, I think that it would be unlikely to cause too much dryness. Skin tends to get rather dry with persistent washing over a certain amount of time. If you stop at two or three days, it might cause a bit of dryness but it would be unlikely to cause a lot. And, if you use moisturizer it should help with any dryness the two days might cause.

That being said, this is definitely something that you should try and talk to your treatment team about. I suffer with certain OCD tendencies and they tend to get bad during stressful times. I have talked to my psychiatrist about it a few times and he has helped me to figure out some tools to try and deal with it. Your treatment team might be able to help you find tools to cope as well. Also, if they don't already know about this, it is best to keep them updated to be on the safe side. If you make them aware, it is unlikely that they will be thrown off guard if it starts to get worse.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Ocd face washing - October 26th 2017, 02:27 PM

Hello, I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now. You should take some deep breaths and calm yourself down if you can and try and focus on something else. Try and not be in the bathroom or anywhere that you have a sink where you can wash you're face. And find five things to focus on if you're in you're bedroom look at you're bed, TV ,dresser, window and you're door. And think about them and how they all make you feel. Also you can find things to help distract you for example you can go for a walk and put on music, put on funny movies to help you with this.
When you are washing you're face a lot you can end up hurting it and you said that you're face was red and after it's red you're face can become bruised. I know this because I had a friend at my old school who used to do the same thing. And I was at her house when this happened. So try to distract yourself if you can so you're not washing you're face so many times. It's okay to wash you're face a few times a day like one or two times a day but try not to go over that and you'll be okay. I hope that you will be okay soon. Hugs.

Closed Thread